12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2010 7:34 AM by nharman

Nvidia GTX 400 cards and CS5 (GTX285 is no longer current)

ruzun Level 1

Given that NVidia has now released the GTX470 and GTX480 cards, is it reasonable to assume they will work well with Premiere Pro CS5?  The GTX285 is outdated at this point and not really worth purchasing when compared to the GTX470.

Does the new Mercury engine run pretty much on any of the newer Nvidia cards, with only the 285 mentioned because of lack of time to test all permutations?  I can't imagine it wouldn't run on a GTX470 or GTX 260 system for example, since the drivers are the same for most of the newer Nvidia cards.

-Roger Uzun

uzun@san.rr.com

• 1. Re: Nvidia GTX 400 cards and CS5 (GTX285 is no longer current)
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Until Adobe publishes the compatibility list I would not invest in a new graphics card.  Do not make any assumptions.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Nvidia GTX 400 cards and CS5 (GTX285 is no longer current)
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Read #17 here http://forums.adobe.com/message/2715984

Since it is claimed that the 285 has an artificial limit on what it will do, there is no way to know if the 400 series will fare any better... if nVidia tells Adobe to put a limit in CS5, or if the limit is built into the nVidia driver itself

But, as stated, the 400 series is not even in the current list of supported cards... so don't assume anything http://forums.adobe.com/message/2730495

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Nvidia GTX 400 cards and CS5 (GTX285 is no longer current)
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Hardware MPE rendering is only enabled for certified cards and Fermi is not yet certified. That will come with a new point release. If you have or buy a CUDA card that is not certified, it is not possible to enable hardware MPE rendering. If that card will be certified in a couple of months, then you have to wait for the point release to enable that.

• 4. Re: Nvidia GTX 400 cards and CS5 (GTX285 is no longer current)
                ruzun Level 1

Sounds like good advice.  For now I will keep my GTX260 and just run CS5 in software mode (without Mercury).  I don't want to waste money on a GTX 285 at this point, but I don't dare buy one of the 400 series until I find out which cards Adobe will definitely support.  Sounds like they don't enable the Mercury engine at all unless they detect a specific model video card, even if the CUDA software functionality exists in the driver for a different card (I mean is there any significant difference between a GeForce GTX260 and a Quadro CX, they could easily enable Mercury for all or most of the GTX 200 series cards, they are just choosing not to for marketing reasons basically).

I'll just hang tight and render the timelines until Adobe comes out with an updated list of supported video cards.

-Roger

• 5. Re: Nvidia GTX 400 cards and CS5 (GTX285 is no longer current)
                  Racerx135

OK, SO I went ahead and picked up a Gtx 285 on Ebay for $250.00 last week.

I am running an  8 core Mac Pro Early 2008 but I run Windows 7 64bit.  So I was able to get the 285 at a decent price as opposed to the overpriced mac version. My system drive is only running Win-7 as I do not use OSX at all.

Some thoughts

Non scientific tests

1. Appears to be Same Performance as Quadro cards

2. Limited to 3 LAyers  (This is a lock added to sell Quadro cards and nothing to do with the power of the card.) Once you add 4th layer the yellow line turns red and the 4th layer uses CPU but in my case it took about 5 layers before I started to see playback slowdown.  I did basic Ultra Keys in each layer to test.

3. If you are rendering to h264 this baby is wicked fast.  Renders to WMV are much faster but I am unsure if wmv encoding is accelerated by GPU

4.  I think they used GTX 285 as the Geforce card due to the fact thier is a mac version.  I am guessing if not for a mac version then their may not even be a Geforce card supported. The Nvdea Cuda deal is apperntly all about selling Quadros but at least this technologoy is not some ******** like lots of other crap us editors had to endure over the years.

Bottom line is if you stay in the Adobe/Nvdea sandbox you should have a great experience with CS5

And yes I will most likely be getting a Quadro but I want to wait for Fermi to come out and see how this all pans out.  The GTX 285 is great for now.

System

- Mac Pro 2.8Ghz 8 core Early 2008

- Window 7 Pro 64bit

- 14 GIG of RAM

- Vertex SSD OCZ 120gig  System Drive

- 4TB G-Raid es  Striped in Raid 0

- Gtx 285 1GIG

- Other hardware not essential to cs5

- Second geforce 200 GPU Card to run 4 monitors

- Matrox Rt.x2 For CS4  (Will be removing soon as soon as last project is completed.)

• 6. Re: Nvidia GTX 400 cards and CS5 (GTX285 is no longer current)
                    mirekweb

there is a simple text file inside the PREMIERE program directory which LISTS graphics card that can be used with MERCURY all you need to do is edit this list to include the card you want to use.

Providing your graphics card has at least 1gb and it is enabled to use CUDA the Mercury engine can be HARDWARE enabled by simple editing of this file

c:program files\adobe\adobe premiere pro cs5\cuda_supported_cards.txt

there is also a program which SNIFFS out which graphic card you have this is

c:program files\adobe\adobe premiere pro\ cs5gpusniffer.exe

just use this program and note carefully how the name of your card is listed then add this name EXACTLY as it appears to

c:program files\adobe\adobe premiere pro cs5\cuda_supported_cards.txt the easy solution is to CUT and PASTE the name

IF YOU UPDATE Premiere at any time then it automatically overwrites cuda_supported_cards.txt to its original state so you will then need to manually enter your graphic card name again inside this simple text file.

I am running MERCURY HARDWARE ENABLED RENDERING using a humble 9800gt nVidia card but you need to realize that not all cards which run will give you 100% compatibility with all the filters and effects which Premiere can apply ...probably Adobe have severely limited the list to cards which have been extensively tested...

hope this is helpful to you....in reality a fairly broad range of CUDA enabled nVidia cards CAN be used with Mercury Hardware enabled.

In a nutshell  make sure your nVidia card has been CUDA enabled by running CUDA installation software then edit cuda_supported_cards.txt which in a WIN7 installation is found in c:program files\adobe\adobe premiere pro cs5\ if your are running another operating system then it might be located in a slightly different place but you can always do a search..........these details also apply to a SNOW LEOPARD system but obviously these files cs5gpusniffer.exe

and cuda_supported_cards.txt

providing your card is on the list in cuda_supported_cards.txt and it has at least 1gb ram then it should work OK

Adobe are simply being very cautious with regard to thoroughly testing cards before they list them as compatible.

• 7. Re: Nvidia GTX 400 cards and CS5 (GTX285 is no longer current)
                      Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is pretty well correct except for one thing the nVidia card only needs 768 MB of onboard RAM.

• 8. Re: Nvidia GTX 400 cards and CS5 (GTX285 is no longer current)
                        Harm Millaard Level 7
                        This is pretty well correct except for one thing the nVidia card only needs 768 MB of onboard RAM.

This is pretty well correct too, except that the nVidia card needs 768 MB FREE memory. Aero and other visual UI settings can use up to 128 MB, so the effective minimum is 896 MB of VRAM.

• 9. Re: Nvidia GTX 400 cards and CS5 (GTX285 is no longer current)
                          canoli99

"make sure your nVidia card has been CUDA enabled by running CUDA installation software"

What exactly is "CUDA installation software"?

Isn't CUDA enabled by default? CUDA is part of the architecture of the GPU isn't it? Either you have a CUDA GPU or you don't, that's how I understand it. Is that not right? Because I've come across several posts on these forums saying "install CUDA software."

What are they referring to? I'd really appreciate any information you can share with me.

Thanks guys!

• 10. Re: Nvidia GTX 400 cards and CS5 (GTX285 is no longer current)
                            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

They mean the video driver. Make sure you have the up to date video driver with the latest version of CUDA.

Eric

ADK

• 11. Re: Nvidia GTX 400 cards and CS5 (GTX285 is no longer current)
                              canoli99 Level 1

Ah - thanks EC - I really appreciate the reply -

So it's all about the drivers - gotcha. I didn't think there was any "CUDA software" (other than the SDK maybe).

That clears things up, thanks again.

• 12. Re: Nvidia GTX 400 cards and CS5 (GTX285 is no longer current)
                                nharman

Just update to the latest video drivers and they should be CUDA enabled.  Nvidia used to offer both CUDA and non CUDA drivers, but lately they have been the same driver.