3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2010 10:32 PM by Wade_Zimmerman

How to change the default size of thumbnails in layers panel

sjbieithbm

I was wondering if there is any way to change the default size of the thumbnails in the layers panel. I have tried saving a new workspace with a larger thumbnail size set, which does not work. I have a particular job which is much, much easier with a large thumbnail size, and I don't care for having to set the size each time I start.

• 1. Re: How to change the default size of thumbnails in layers panel
          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

You can set it the way you want and then save it as a custom document profile or as a template. See if that works! It does!

Saving it as a profile works you are going call it Large Thumbnails or something like that.

Here is how you do it make a new document set it up the way you want

go to the layers panel and pick your Large Thumbnails option

then save the file to this directory

Users/ Username/ Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator CS4/en_US/New Document Profiles

Now when you launch Illustrator it will show up in the Start Up screen under Create New  so instead of choosing print choose this profile

If you go to the File>New select this profile from the drop down in the New Document dialog.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to change the default size of thumbnails in layers panel
            sjbieithbm Level 1

I see. It is unfortunate, I think, that this is a per-document setting. This is does not solve my problem, but now I know. Thanks.

• 3. Re: How to change the default size of thumbnails in layers panel
              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Well you can if you want change all he preset document profile to this setting and save all of them to the same directory overwriting the original.

then when ver you go File new or use the keyboard shortcut the small thumbs will be available.

Now if you save a copy of the New Document Profiles after he alteration to the specs., then you can always recopy that folder and not have to start from scratch.

So it can be done.