8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2010 3:34 PM by the_wine_snob

Odd video problem

ShepardRahl

Hey guys. I have an odd video problem that I have never experienced before. I have a 27:30 minute long television episode and I am trying to cut out a specific part to show my brother that lives in another city. I have CS4. I have done this many times with CS3 with no problems. My problem is that I will import the video file and move it down to the timeline. It will show it to be the full length that it is but when I move the curser past a certain point on the file there is no video just audio. So I moved the curser back then moved it along the file and found that, for some reason, the entire video sequence of the episode had played out at 2:34. Like the entire video sequence has been compressed to play out in the first 2:34 even though the file on the timeline shows the full length of the episode. The audio works fine. It's just the video that is giving me problems. The video file is an .avi. As I said before I've never had this problem before so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Odd video problem
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, AVI is a horribly broad format. Much will depend on what is inside that AVI "wrapper." This ARTICLE will give you some background. Can you give us some info on those AVI files?

The cure is likely in those details.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Odd video problem
            ShepardRahl Level 1

What kind of info would you require?

• 3. Re: Odd video problem
              Harm Millaard Level 7

A screenshot from G-Spot showing the codec and other properties of this AVI file.

• 4. Re: Odd video problem
                the_wine_snob Level 9

First, the CODEC's (Audio & Video) will be very important, along with other info that G-Spot can provide, like the proper Duration of the file, etc.

For a little bit of background on CODEC's, and their importance, this ARTICLE and the links in it, will tell you much more.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Odd video problem
                  ShepardRahl Level 1

Here is the screenshot from g-spot that you requestedgspotscreen.jpg

• 6. Re: Odd video problem
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for the screen-cap. It shows that you have Xvid encoded footage. That is a very heavily-compressed delivery-only format/CODEC, and is not meant to be edited. PrPro will just flat refuse to handle it, or will only get the Audio, or only the Video from it, even if you have the Xvid, or the commercial-cousin DivX, properly installed.

Two courses of action:

1.) convert to DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio in a conversion program, like DigitalMedia Converter, or Prism, and Import that file into PrPro

2.) use another program, like CyberLink's PowerDirector, which does much better with Xvid, or DivX material. Even PrElements does not handle this material at all.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - is this footage from a helmet cam, or similar?

• 7. Re: Odd video problem
                      ShepardRahl Level 1

Thank you for your response. I will try the options that you have suggested. And to answer your question; the footage is a tv rip of a television episode.

• 8. Re: Odd video problem
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

If these files came from, say a TV card, you will want to explore its capabilities very closely. If you can get these files as DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio, you will have much better quality (larger file sizes), and the editing experience will be wonderfully smooth. This will depend on the card, and any software used. You may, or may not be able to do other than Xvid, but to avoid that would be job 1 for me. Xvid is very heavily-compressed and much data is lost forever. It is designed for streaming delivery-only, and never meant to be edited. In its role as a delivery-only format/CODEC, it does a good job - just not for editing.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I use the mentioned program, DigitalMedia Converter, but it is shareware. The other program, Prism, is freeware, and gets very high marks from the people, who use it. I just have zero experience with it.