4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2010 11:04 PM by 96dotsperinch

Instapaper ePub crashes ADE

96dotsperinch

I used the epub Download Feature of Instapaper to create an epub file. When I download this file to my computer and double click it to launch ADE the application crashes immediately. If I launch ADE again, the Instapaper file shows with an exclamation mark in the corner. I can't open this file and there are no further information as to why ADE crashed.

Has anyone encountered this issue and found a solution?

System: Mac OS X 10.6.3 MacBook Pro Late 2008, Intel

• 1. Re: Instapaper ePub crashes ADE
          Jim Lester Level 4

Is this all instapaper created ePub files, or just a particular one.  I tried a single file from Instapaper and it opened up with no problem.  Most likely either

a.) This is a problem with ePub generation that instapaper already fixed (they marked this a public beta)

b.) Or it was a particular article that was badly form XHTML that caused ADE problem (however I agree that ADE shouldn't crash).

• 2. Re: Instapaper ePub crashes ADE
            96dotsperinch Level 1

Following your suggestion I tried an ePub with different articles and limited myself to those in English language. This ePub worked flawlessly.

You were right, that my initial attempt included some invalid markup. When I transferred the broken file to my PRS 505 using Calibre the Sony reader reset itself immediately when I selected it.

• 3. Re: Instapaper ePub crashes ADE
              Jim Lester Level 4

It would be interesting to know the article that caused the crash, or if you don't want to go to the trouble, then getting a copy of the file that caused the crashes.  I'll send you a private message with my email address if you are interested in sending the file along.

The instapaper folks may be interested as well.

• 4. Re: Instapaper ePub crashes ADE
                96dotsperinch Level 1

SInce I've since overwritten the crashing file I have to check my Time Machine backup.

Meanwhile I will try to create a separate ePub from every single article in question to make debugging easier. As soon as I find the article in question I will send it to you.

Thank you very much for your help!