14 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2010 2:16 PM by Brandalarm

I'm drowning in the sea of HD export presets. Salvation wanted please..

Brandalarm Level 1

Hello,

I hope the forum proves again its functionality like it did before. Cause my head's getting a little bit blurry now, from all the presets.

So, the big issue is that I want to export a HD project to a format in which I dont get a wrongly cropped/stretched/laggy/wrong-frame-rate/... image. I know it's not that hard, but I just cannot figure it out anymore.

I checked other topics and discussions, and found some concerning more or less the same question but I didn't find the right answer, sorry.

Let's make a list of the settings/info:

- OS: Windows XP service pack 3, Premiere CS4 (and AE, Photoshop, ...)

- My captured and imported images are shot with a Canon HV40 HDV camera, and have, according to the title display in the left bottom corner of Premiere the following specs: 1440x1080 (1080p), frame rate 25 fps and PixelAspectRatio 1,3333 (HD anamorphic 1080 i guess?).

To make sure that these are the exact specs of my video files, i tried - following the ever-returning advice of this forum user Bill hunt- importing my video files in Gspot. But, don't ask me why, Gspot only displays that my files are MPEG-2. The file extension is .m2t.

- The Premiere CS4 preset I used to make my project is -to match the video files specifications- the HDV 1080 p(rogressive) Preset, displaying the same specs as above.

- I do not want to export my video to youtube, I want to show the video to an audience using a beamer, which is the reason why I want to keep the quality pretty high. I don't know whether I am going to play the movie on a MAC or a Windows computer, so I need to make 2 versions (each one smoothly compatible with the according OS). Also I want a copy of the movie in HD quality to show to someone on a strong computer.

- I live in Belgium, Europe. Does this matter in this case? I know that NTSC is the standard in the US and and Japan etc, and that PAL is the standard in Europe. But does this still matter up to this day, with the rather, uh.., global economy and quick exporting of products etc... I do not know alot about this, I hope you understand my question. I mean, what are the consequences from these standards? Do they concern your screen/monitor... ?

- When I want to export - using Adobe Media Encoder, a HDV export preset with 1080 p, 1440x1080, P.A.R. 1,33333 and a 25 fps is NOT AN OPTION?????

There are other export presets available of course, for example the MPEG-2 / HDTV 1080p 25 (fps) High Quality. But in the summary it goes: PAL (??), 1920x1080, 25, p . It is right that the PixelAspectRatio on this exportpreset becomes 1.0 (square), right?

Yes, I know that the eventual size is the same, because both the pixels increase in number, but decrease in size (badly explained i know).

Is this the export format i should use? Will my image not crop, shock, stretch.. ?

I'm sorry, for many of you this must seem a stupid and lazy question but I can't figure out the whole system behind this, I would very much appreciate it if someone could explain.

Thanks in advance;

Sincerly but dazzled,

Jef

• 1. Re: I'm drowning in the sea of HD export presets. Salvation wanted please..
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Jef,

I would consider H.264 HDTV 1080P 25 High Quality.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: I'm drowning in the sea of HD export presets. Salvation wanted please..
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Export settings depend on the device that is connected to that beamer.

• 3. Re: I'm drowning in the sea of HD export presets. Salvation wanted please..
              Brandalarm Level 1

Ann Bens wrote:

Export settings depend on the device that is connected to that beamer.

To true. Is it enough when I say it will be a computer? Or is Mac/Windows also a relevant question?

• 4. Re: I'm drowning in the sea of HD export presets. Salvation wanted please..

If the projector is capable of handling HD i would for Windows suggest the preset:

Windows Media HDTV 1080p or 720p 25 high quality with MRQ checked.

wmvHD is high quality with a relative smal file size.

If its a SD beamer a dvd will be sufficient

• 5. Re: I'm drowning in the sea of HD export presets. Salvation wanted please..
                  Brandalarm Level 1

Ok, I'll bear your HD beamer tip in mind. Thanks. i'll probably be using one, but I need to have a failsave..

So, in the case of a DVD player linked to an SD beamer, the best format is.. ? And that would be the exact same export format in case I'm using a Computer and a SD beamer?

• 6. Re: I'm drowning in the sea of HD export presets. Salvation wanted please..
                    Brandalarm Level 1

Brandalarm wrote:

Ok, I'll bear your HD beamer tip in mind. Thanks. i'll probably be using one, but I need to have a failsave..

So, in the case of a DVD player linked to an SD beamer, the best format is.. ? And that would be the exact same export format in case I'm using a Computer and a SD beamer?

Sorry for the shipload of questions, but I do have very little experience in exporting.. I seriously appreciate you helping me

• 7. Re: I'm drowning in the sea of HD export presets. Salvation wanted please..
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      So, in the case of a DVD player linked to an SD beamer, the best format is.. ?

A DVD-Video @ 720 x 480 in your country's TV standard, NTSC or PAL, w/ the proper PAR for either 4:3 (Standard), or 16:9 (Widescreen).

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: I'm drowning in the sea of HD export presets. Salvation wanted please..
                        Brandalarm Level 1

Thanks Ann, Bill, Harm,

Again very quick and to-the-point replies, thats awsome..

One more thing I don't get, but that's just a question:

- When I want to export - using Adobe Media Encoder, a HDV export preset with 1080 p, 1440x1080, P.A.R. 1,33333 and a 25 fps is NOT AN OPTION?????

There are other export presets available of course, for example the MPEG-2 / HDTV 1080p 25 (fps) High Quality. But in the summary it goes: PAL (??), 1920x1080, 25, p . It is right that the PixelAspectRatio on this exportpreset becomes 1.0 (square), right?

Yes, I know that the eventual size is the same, because both the pixels increase in number, but decrease in size (badly explained i know).

Why is it that Adobe puts the HDV presets (with 1440x1080) up as being the most 'normal' preset for HD capturing (at least in Europe), but you cannot export in the same 'amount of pixels' (being 1040x1080)?! I get that 1920x1080 has exact the same "size" due to another P.A.R. but what's the point? Why make another export format with another Pix.asp.rat. instead of keeping the 1440x1080 from the preset?

I know it's not an urgent question, but it's been itching for a few days now..

Clearly there's something I don't get yet about these two formats with a different pixasprat... For example, when I add one of my .m2t's into Premiere, the title dispay says that my clip is 1440x1080. But, when I take a snapshot using VLC Media player, windows viewer tells me that the amount of pixels in the snapshot is 1920x1080...

Jef

• 9. Re: I'm drowning in the sea of HD export presets. Salvation wanted please..

Your m2t is 1440x1080 with rectangular pixels. Stills use square pixels so this will giving you 1920x1080.

• 10. Re: I'm drowning in the sea of HD export presets. Salvation wanted please..
                            Brandalarm Level 1

the_wine_snob wrote:

A DVD-Video @ 720 x 480 in your country's TV standard, NTSC or PAL, w/ the proper PAR for either 4:3 (Standard), or 16:9 (Widescreen).

Good luck,

Hunt

Bill,

Uh, 720 x 480 is not the same 'relation' as 1440x1080, right? Because 720x2 = 1440 but 480x2 = 960... So my image will get cropped (or compressed, I don't know which one of the two is the right name)

Jef

• 11. Re: I'm drowning in the sea of HD export presets. Salvation wanted please..
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

SD NTSC is 720 x 480, SD PAL is 720 x 576. HDV (both NTSC and PAL) is 1440 x 1080 and BRD is 1920 x 1080.

That is the reason that downrezzing HDV to SD will give a slight pillarbox effect.

• 12. Re: I'm drowning in the sea of HD export presets. Salvation wanted please..
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

I realize that, but if you are going to do a DVD-Video as a backup for the projection, that is what you will end up with. For the higher-rez, you will need a BD instead. Here are the accepted formats for BD, from the Encore Forum.

Maybe I misunderstood what you wished the DVD for. Was that to be a DVD-Video? If not, just ignore me.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: I'm drowning in the sea of HD export presets. Salvation wanted please..
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm,

Thanks for pointing out my omission of the PAL pixel x pixel dimensions for DVD-Video. I managed to add PAL into the line, but did not correct my omission. About that time, I was having to manually log-in to get a reply screen, and then logging-in again, to post. Half the time, the Adobe server was shown as being down too. Surprised that I got anything to post. Seems to be OK again, but the same thing happened for several hours last week.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 14. Re: I'm drowning in the sea of HD export presets. Salvation wanted please..
                                    Brandalarm Level 1

Hi,

With the project all done, i'm preparing for the presentation. Managed to get my hands on a HD beamer for the night (Epason TW2000) and planning to do the presentation in HD.

That of course managed to bring up some problems. I posted a thread which i'll repost here . Sorry for the repost, i normally do not intend to do this, but since this thread is actually about the same thing, i'd like to ask the same question to you. The end version is in AfterEffects, but that actually doesn't alter the question. It's about export:

"I want to export my AE project of approx 30 min containing several HD files to a Blu Ray disc. The end goal is to project the video in HD quality using the Epson  EMP-TW2000 projector. This projector is HD compatible.

To project the video I need to connect the beamer to a computer capable of playing a heavy HD file (1), OR burn the project to a BRD (2) and play it using a BRplayer.

I prefer option 2, so my question is: which would be the preferred export preset?

Project specs:

- 1920x1080 sq pix  (16:9)

- 25 fps

- my imported video files (Prem.Pro sequences) are also 25 fps and are Progressive (!)

To export to a BRD compatible format, do i not encounter a big problem: my projectfiles are 25 fps and progressive, and I believe that the only Bluray preset dispaying 1920x1080 with 25 fps requests an INTERLACED video  (I viewed the presets found on this forum, this thread)... There is also a Progr. format, BUT then you need 30 fps (29,...).

So, is there one dimension that can be changed without changing the content of the video, and if yes which one (either the interlacing or the fps).

I'm not very familiar with the whole Blu-ray thing, I hope that someone can help me out."

Please give it a look.

Thanks,

Jef