16 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2011 12:47 PM by pixelpainting

Can't open / edit remote files!

nrgnrgnrgnrg

This is drving me crazy!

I created my photography web site, NRGPhoto.eu using CSS and Spry menus, I now need to change somethings and I can't, I have local and remote files, nothing has changed, nothing has been moved, but I can't open them, I get the message 'home.css' is a remote file and cannot be edited. The screen below is grey.

I have file, it hasn't moved, I haven't edited it.

I have tired un-synchronising my site and re-synchronising but it does not work.

((I need to change the width of the boxes as I need to add another option on the menu.))

thanks

• 2. Re: Can't open / edit remote files!
          bregent Most Valuable Participant

Why are you trying to edit remote files if you have a local copy? Edit the local copy and upload it. And if problems persist, try rebuilding the site cache.

• 3. Re: Can't open / edit remote files!
            nrgnrgnrgnrg Level 1

Thanks Bregent, tried that and still the same.

• 4. Re: Can't open / edit remote files!
              John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I've read this thread about 10 times now and, to be honest, I'm still not really sure what the problem is.

Are you saying that you cannot edit your local copy of the site and upload it?

• 5. Re: Can't open / edit remote files!
                BadLeeroyBrown

I'm having the same issue.  I have a bunch of .css and .js files that the PHP page insists are remote files and does not link correctly.  They're on the local machine.  It worked fine before, and now it won't.  Did you find a solution? 

• 6. Re: Can't open / edit remote files!
                  MurraySummers Level 8

Please start a new thread with this question and explain how it is that the page thinks those files are remote.  Make sure you give us code to support this issue.

• 7. Re: Can't open / edit remote files!
                    MurraySummers Level 8

John:

I agree - I'm not sure exactly what the issue is.

• 8. Re: Can't open / edit remote files!
                      robertcatherina

re: "is a remote file cannot edit it": is caused by including the remote path with the file name:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://url.com/css/web.css" > is an example of a remote file and cannot be edited in the associated file in DW

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/css/web.css" > is the correct reference to the local file so that it can be edited in the associated files in DW

• 9. Re: Can't open / edit remote files!
                        mattddubois Level 1

I had the problem discussed in this thread and your answer fixed it, thanks!

• 10. Re: Can't open / edit remote files!
                          pixelpainting

I need a Dreamweaver Sharpshooter's help:

I'm having an issue on the last two site files I have opened and it driving my crazy. I'm getting the yellow hilighted warning message. I open a file and where it states Source Code I get a numbers for example: 876948422.js  then in the yellow highlighted it states: 876948422.js  is a remote file and cannot be edited. [close] and this close looks like a clickable link.

I seen this on the first file last Friday and I freaked out because I have heard of bandits stealing traffic and comissions from affiliates and I though someone hi-jacked my page and was stealing my stuff because I have gotten zero results from all my sites with this style email Opin page while Google tracking software has been showing atleast a little activity on these sites.

So every web site that used that email Opin page I completely deleted. I even deleted them from my testing server on my local machine. I don't know if there is any software out there that can clean my machine of this kind of intruduer if that is what it is.

Now I just opened another file which I took into Dreamweaver. I copied all the code and did a paste and this file has the js file as well. What is going on here..... help!!!

It has the same file type with warning has someone completely taken over my machine through Dreamweaver or...

I took a screen shot in paint and pasted it below... Please help....

remote js file again.JPG

• 11. Re: Can't open / edit remote files!
                            MurraySummers Level 8

What does the source code look like (when you return to the source code option)?  Are you seeing this in other sites or just this one site?

• 12. Re: Can't open / edit remote files!
                              pixelpainting Level 1

Hi Murray,

Thanks for your quick reply. sorry for the double post but this one was so old I did not think it would be answered.

Anywhoo, source code looks ok from what I can tell. the design view looks fine. But like I said in my first post I had 3 to 5 web site that was using the same Op in page design from a source I did know  but later found out he had sold this page desige along with the web site... (I placed the a awebber script into the page to capture email addresses legit. )

When I first seen this JS file in the above web site I freaked out and started deleting all the web site folders in my hosting account that used this Op in page. I then deleted them from my local host web testing server and though I was all set then I found this one..when.

I went copied and pasted this new Op in page from Kompozer into Dreamweaver I seen this js file again. I don't know if it is the same number but it is the exact same format and warning.

I have never seen this js file with this warning with any of my web site or dreamweaver generated files before.

Murry, do you know of a search operator string I can use to see if these files are embedded into my other sites files?

Thanks in advance Murry and I look forward to hearing from you...

Steven

• 13. Re: Can't open / edit remote files!
                                MurraySummers Level 8

Let's see the entire code in this js file.  From what you have posted it only looks like a big embedded CSS block.  That's nothing to worry about, really.

• 14. Re: Can't open / edit remote files!
                                  pixelpainting Level 1

Thank you Murray,

That is great news to hear...

Thank you so much for your generous amount of time spent with this problem.

I feel much better now going forward with my projects.

I have a question for you I purchased CS5 Design Premium while at the Art Institute and I want to load up CS5 Dreamweaver on my new machine. I know that the upgrade 5.5 came out recently and I have a question... Why is there no memtion about WordPress in the 5.5 version of Dreamweaver?...

Was it found to be buggy or to hard to impliment in version 5 and drop from version 5.5?...or...

Anywhoo, Murry thanks for much for your time this was really the first time I used this service since I think 2008 and my experience was excellent....

Thanks again

Steven.

• 15. Re: Can't open / edit remote files!
                                    MurraySummers Level 8

I have a question for you I purchased CS5 Design Premium while at the Art Institute and I want to load up CS5 Dreamweaver on my new machine. I know that the upgrade 5.5 came out recently and I have a question... Why is there no memtion about WordPress in the 5.5 version of Dreamweaver?...

You'd have to direct that question to Adobe.  Sorry - I don't know.

• 16. Re: Can't open / edit remote files!
                                      pixelpainting Level 1

Thanks Murry for your quick and honest answer...

Wishing you the Best ...

Happy Thanksgiving...

Steven