18 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2010 2:59 PM by the_wine_snob

Send to Encore not working - how else to create a DVD ?

David Zeno Level 1

Hello everyone,

Haven't posted in awhile, I hope everyone is well.

I am getting an error with Premiere, when using the command "Send to Encore" I get an error that the movie cannot be created.  This

is an error many have experience, - I've done a lot of searching last night.

Ok, so with that said, what other option do I have to create a DVD from a video sitting on my timeline ?

I have read in the Adobe documentation that I can export with Media encoder to DVD format, which will output a .m2v video file.

That's fine and good, but this won't play in a DVD player, as it needs to be in the .VOB structure.

So, how does one get a DVD made, other than using Encore... I'm stumped at this point.

Thanks for any information ,

Dave.

• 1. Re: Send to Encore not working - how else to create a DVD ?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

There are two ways to create a DVD. Send to Encore and let Encore handle the encoding or encode yourself with AME to MPEG2-DVD and import these files into Encore. Then start authoring.

The error that the file could not be created can be caused by strange source material, corrupted files, blank on the time line, insufficient disk space and setup, etc.

Some suggestions... and answer at least the 16 questions at the end of the Wiki article.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Send to Encore not working - how else to create a DVD ?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Dave,

If Adobe Dynamic Link is not working for you, you can do things the "old-fashioned" way - Export from your Sequence, using either DV-AVI, or 100% DVD-Compliant MPEG-2. I would also use elemental/elementary streams, i.e. one Audio-only file (either PCM/WAV, or DD AC3), and one Video-only file.

In Encore, Import the Video-only file as a Timeline. Import the Audio-only file as an Asset. From the Project Panel in Encore, drag the Audio-only file to the appropriate Timeline, where it will snap into place.

Add Menus, navigation and do your linking.

Done!

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Send to Encore not working - how else to create a DVD ?
              David Zeno Level 1

Hi gentleman,

thank you very much for your help.

I'm currently rendering my footage, I'll let you know how it goes once I import it into Encore.

Dave.

• 4. Re: Send to Encore not working - how else to create a DVD ?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Dave,

Good luck with the Exporting process.

Also, take a look at the Encore forum, plus here, as a few users have had issues with ADL. Jeff Bellune has offered some good feedback and tips for them, when things do not work, as one would hope.

One thing to also consider is that if one is doing DD 5.1 SS and encoding via the SurCode plug-in, ADL will not transfer those Sequences to Encore. They MUST be Exported/Imported - the "old-fashioned way."

Hunt

• 5. Re: Send to Encore not working - how else to create a DVD ?
                  David Zeno Level 1

Hi Bill it's in Encore right now, and so far it is working.

Tell me something, why is it working now, and not earlier ? is it because the video has basically already been created in Premiere ( .m2v file and audio file )  ?

So basically all the rendering has been done, and Encore is now just removing the "shell" and adding a .vob shell structure to it ?

is that what is going on ?

I'm just trying to get my head around what is happening.  Great info, and I do appreciate your time

Dave

• 6. Re: Send to Encore not working - how else to create a DVD ?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Dave,

I wish that I had an answer for you. There seem to be some instances, where ADL does not quite do it. There must be a set of circumstances, that will contribute to the failure, but I have never seen a list. It still seems to be a bit random, but there have got to be common elements.

As I am still on Encore 2.0, I can't even offer to test. Though my version (Production Studio) does have limited ADL, it's only a shell of the one in CS4. I have used it, and had no issues, but as I do DD 5.1 SS for most Projects, I would still have to Export/Import, even in CS4.

Let's just hope that everything works perfectly for you on this Project, and maybe Jeff, or Stanley, or others, can one day give us a list of, "don't do this, don't do that, and always do ____, this way."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Send to Encore not working - how else to create a DVD ?
                      David Zeno Level 1

Hi Bill,

I posted a nice long reply and when I clicked, it disappeared and never got posted.  argh ;-(

In any event, I tried burning a DVD this morning, and it plays the video portion 100% fine, however there's no sound.

I wonder if it is how I imported it into Encore ... is there a special way to do this ?

On the timeline in Encore, the movie played 100% fine.  I then exported the project to a DVD folder.  The vobs play great ( with sound ) when

I click on any of the vobs, in XBMC ( Xbox Media Center ) , and with Windows 7 Media Center.

However - if I let XBMC or MCE play the folder, the video plays, but without sound.  The same is true of my burnt DVD ... video plays,

but no sound at all.

:-(

Dave.

• 8. Re: Send to Encore not working - how else to create a DVD ?
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

In general you import the .m2v file as a timeline and import the .ac3 file as an asset and then drag the .ac3 file to your timeline (audio track) and drop it. It will drop into place. Then you build the disk, image or folder, whatever you want.

• 9. Re: Send to Encore not working - how else to create a DVD ?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

The vobs play great ( with sound ) when I click on any of the vobs, in XBMC ( Xbox Media Center ) , and with Windows 7 Media Center.

However - if I let XBMC or MCE play the folder, the video plays, but without sound.  The same is true of my burnt DVD ... video plays,

but no sound at all.

This is quite odd. If the VOB is properly formed, and Encore is great at this, the muxed MPEG/AV3 in included, and should play the same, whether directly from the VOB, or through the IFO file.

I have never encountered such, and use Burn to Folder often for testing. Now, I use CyberLink's PowerDVD, or MediaPlayer Classic HC, and never have had one issue. Maybe download and install MediaPlayer Classic HC, and just test it too. Do not know the Xbox, or the newer WMP. Not THAT long ago, WMP was crippled by MS, as they felt that any burned DVD-Video was pirated. Not sure what the newer players' capabilities are, or are not.

Harm has covered the Audio Import and placement on the Timeline quite well. I have nothing to add to that.

As PCM/WAV and DD AC3 are the accepted Audio formats for primary streams in DVD-Video, it should be fine.

Now, is your AC3 DD 5.1 SS, or stereo? You might have mentioned this above, and I have just forgotten.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Send to Encore not working - how else to create a DVD ?
                            David Zeno Level 1

I managed to get it working !

Thanks very much for your help gentlemen.

I went back, and started a new project and slowly followed the steps you both provided..... and bingo, this time it worked !

I told Encore to create an .iso file, and when I tried it this time from within XBMC, it worked.. with sound !

that's one of the great things about XBMC ( www.xbmc.org) that it can play ISO files, as well as any other type of video you throw

at it, even .mkv, and any codec that exists.

I burnt it to a DVD and bingo... success !

thanks very much !

• 11. Re: Send to Encore not working - how else to create a DVD ?
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

Great to hear David, happy editing.

• 12. Re: Send to Encore not working - how else to create a DVD ?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

David,

I am glad to hear of your success. Not familiar with your playback device, but will look into it. Thanks.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Send to Encore not working - how else to create a DVD ?
                                  David Zeno Level 1

Hi Harm and Bill,

thanks for all the help, don't know what we would all do without you gentlemen.

Bill, XBMC ( Xbox Media Center ) , I'm assuming started out many years ago for the first version of the Xbox, but now it has come over to the PC

platform.

I have no clue this even existed until a friend had it playing on his 40" LCD TV about a year ago.  I was blown away by it.  I have been using the Windows built-in Media Center program ( built into most versions of Windows ) .

Windows Media Center, turns your PC into a full blown media device for your LCD TV, but can also be used just on a regular old computer, without any TV hooked up.

However, the magic becomes evident when you have the computer hooked up in the living room to your large TV.  You can record TV on it, play back recorded TV shows, watch live TV, pause, delete, etc, just like the PVR / DVRs can do.  However it does so much more.  You can watch videos on it, you can watch DVDs on it, anything you can throw at it, it also does picture slide shows, and plays music also, from mp3s or CDs.

Many didn't have a version of Windows with Media Center, so they are using XBMC, which is available for many platforms, including Linux, and Mac.

I like this program because it plays every type of video file you can throw at it, including that all nw .mkv, and of course it plays .iso image files ( video ) right from the image file, ( without extracting the video ) ( amazing and powerful )

Windows Media Center doesn't play all formats of video, so it's nice to have XBMC, it's free ( you can send a donation if you wish ) but it's a free download and they are constantly upgrading the program.   It's very powerful.  Once you start playing with it, you realize just how nice it is.

The program itself is not large to downoad ( 47 megs for the Windows platform ) and is well worth the install.

Any computer that has an HDMI output, and a TV that has an HDMI input will work, even using a laptop works.  I know some people that are using a plain old VGA cable to do the hook up and it still works 100% fine.

When you install the Windows version, this is what shows up on your TV ( full screen ) when you start the program.

http://xbmc.org/wp-content/gallery/confluence/screenshot000.jpg

By the way, for the Windows Media Center version, - you can buy a remote control, and your normal wireless keyboard works as well, and you can of course just use your mouse to navigate, but having the remote is nice. ( many places sell the mouse and wireless system ) , and yes, the same remote works for the XBMC version also.  For the most part, when I'm sitting on my couch, I do however use my brand new Logitech Nano mouse, the V450, which has a tiny receiver that plugs into the htpc ( home theatre pc ) that is running Media Center and XBMC.  This mouse and very tiny receiver ( the size of a penny ) - actually is very powerful... I can sit about 15 feet away from my TV and can control the computer hooked to TV without any problem, - amazing mouse.  If however you are looking for a good long range mouse, try the newer Nano 505, - it has the same tiny receiver that plugs into the usb port... however it is their new "unifying" reciever, which allows anything to connect to it ( other unifying devices ) ... so you can just pick up any keyboard or mouse and it will work ( if it is unifying compliant ) .. this all has nothing to do with the media center programs, or computer, it's just a personal choice for me... any mouse will work, as long as it has good range ( however I have a MS mouse for a laptop with a much larger reciever plugged into the usb port ) and it won't work even if I am 4 feet away from the laptop.  Go figure.... I guess Logitech is onto something now with these tiny receivers ( when I say receiver, I'm talking about the little piece that comes with a wireless mouse that plugs into the usb port )

picture of the new Logitech mouse M505

http://www.logitech.com/assets/21599/21599.png

Sorry for getting off-topic.  No need to reply, and we can close this topic if you wish.

Dave.

thanks again for all the help !

• 14. Re: Send to Encore not working - how else to create a DVD ?
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Dave,

Thank you for your explanation. I had the Windows MCE on an older Toshiba laptop, and it had a TV tuner card, and remote, but I never used it. Gotta' still be in a box somewhere? Never looked into all that it did, and the MCE OS was not all that stable for NLE work, so I did not bother with later versions of it, when I replaced the laptop - kept things lean and mean. Now I know what all that "stuff" was for, thanks to you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Send to Encore not working - how else to create a DVD ?
                                      David Zeno Level 1

Hi Bill, you are most welcome.

I know I went overboard with my explanion, but many people I know, have no clue what Media Center is, and when they find out,

they are truly amazed.

thanks for your help,

Dave.

Now onto saving up some $$ for a GTX 480 like Harm is planning on purchasing for CS5.  I figure he's an expert who

knows which graphics card to buy.

• 16. Re: Send to Encore not working - how else to create a DVD ?
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

David,

When it comes to hardware, Harm is MY go-to guy.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Send to Encore not working - how else to create a DVD ?
                                          David Zeno Level 1

Hi Bill,

seems I didn't understand correctly, - in another thread, somebody said the card I spoke of is NOT supported by

CS5 Mercury video mode, so I'm a bit puzzled as of now.

I guess once CS5 is officially released, a few months later it should get ironed out, and we'll know for sure which

video cards are really supported.

Dave.

• 18. Re: Send to Encore not working - how else to create a DVD ?
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Dave,

So far, it seems that the video card compatibility list is being leaked slowly, and is probably growing week by week. I am not sure at what point one coudl say, "these are all the video cards that support the MPE."

I'm just bummed as my Quadro FX 4500 will not be on the list, and is not upgradable, like some newer and older nVidia cards seem to be. Oh well, it has worked fine for about 5 years, so I guess that I do not have anything to complain about - other than the cost when new, but that's life.

Good luck,

Hunt