13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2016 2:47 PM by dandid

Faded white 'ghost-like' background behind PNG

a1graphicdesign

I've created a document and printed it many times without any issues, but the most recent time I've printed it, behind a PNG with a transparent background (looks great on the screen) is a faded white box when printed.  This also happens around some outlined text in the document.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Faded white 'ghost-like' background behind PNG
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

a1,

You may be seeing the effect of an overly helpful printer performing unwanted colour management.

You may try to turn off any management, letting Illy decide, or Save As PDF and print from Acrobat, using the setting Print As Image. The former may be difficult; if the latter works, it would indicate a printer (driver) issue.

• 2. Re: Faded white 'ghost-like' background behind PNG
            a1graphicdesign Level 1

Jacob,

I've always let my postscript determine colors, without preserving cmyk presets, because otherwise I get horrible, washed out colors.  With those settings, it has worked just fine in the past, I'm just not sure what could have changed.

Also, it does print correctly if I save it as a pdf and print from acrobat, but again, I don't get the color quality that I get directly from illustrator.

• 3. Re: Faded white 'ghost-like' background behind PNG
              Jesseham Level 4

Spot colors.

Ditch them before printing to CMYK and your problem will go away.  Illustrator tried to help by giving you that warning dialog that you've gotten every time you saved that you've learned to ignore. ;-)  The one about spot colors interacting with transparency.

• 4. Re: Faded white 'ghost-like' background behind PNG
                a1graphicdesign Level 1

How does one ditch the spot colors?

• 5. Re: Faded white 'ghost-like' background behind PNG
                  Jesseham Level 4

Look in your swatches panel - anything with a little dot in the bottom corner is a spot color.  example:

Picture 1.png

2 yellows and a red down there are spots

With no art selected in your document (else you'll be changing it's color) Shift-Select them all and double click.  Choose Process color from the color type drop-down menu

Picture 3.png

All of the art that was colored with those spot colors will be converted to CMYK (assuming that you're working in CMYK) so make sure nothing shifted the wrong way.

• 6. Re: Faded white 'ghost-like' background behind PNG
                    a1graphicdesign Level 1

Jesseham,

Well...as much as I was hoping that would work, I've looked at my documents and none of the colors are displayed like that.  They're all displayed like the top three rows of your visual.  Also, one of the graphics that does it is a shape that I created in illustrator using the default color swatches, so I would assume that one wouldn't have an issue.

compare.jpg

Here is the best example I could get to show you my problem (no color scanner here at work).  Left is the printed document and Right is a screencap of my illustrator document.  This is text that has been outlined, manipulated, and a drop shadow has been applied.  The other image that does this is a simple png with transparent background, no dropshadow.

• 7. Re: Faded white 'ghost-like' background behind PNG

a1,

I've always let my postscript determine colors, without preserving cmyk presets, because otherwise I get horrible, washed out colors.  With those settings, it has worked just fine in the past, I'm just not sure what could have changed

Please specify the settings; I presume you have not changed version or anything like that.

Also, it does print correctly if I save it as a pdf and print from acrobat, but again, I don't get the color quality that I get directly from illustrator.

That seems to indicate a printer (driver), rather than Illy, issue. You may try (re)installing the (newest) printer driver, and have another look at the settings in the print dialog.

• 8. Re: Faded white 'ghost-like' background behind PNG
                        Jesseham Level 4

Interesting.  Are you printing to a postscript printer?  If not, that might explain why it would work out of acrobat but not Illustrator. 

Adobe offers some help here.  They don't explicitly say .png issues though...

• 9. Re: Faded white 'ghost-like' background behind PNG

Jesseham wrote:

Interesting.  Are you printing to a postscript printer?  If not, that might explain why it would work out of acrobat but not Illustrator.

I can see that it is actually possible to print from Illy to a non PostScript printer in versions from CS2 on. Is that progress?

So an unnoticed change from a PostScript to a non PostScript printer driver might be the reason for the OP issue.

• 10. Re: Faded white 'ghost-like' background behind PNG
                            a1graphicdesign Level 1

I double checked and it is still using a postscript driver....the same one it had when the printing was OK.  I tried updating the links to my images, re-placing them, etc...same result.

• 11. Re: Faded white 'ghost-like' background behind PNG

a1,

It seems that there is some strange issue here, maybe related to the one in this thread, The Other Issue, mentioned in the OP and dealt with from post #13 on:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2723356

• 12. Re: Faded white 'ghost-like' background behind PNG
                                Tomy-rex Level 1

Hi all,

I know this is an old post but hope someone may be able to help.

I'm having a similar issue, but I don't think I've really got my answer here.  I've opened a new thread Transparent PNG background prints as semi-transparent for my query, if anyone here has found an answer or some clues on how to prevent this issue, I'd very much appreciate their time and feedback.

Many thanks.

• 13. Re: Faded white 'ghost-like' background behind PNG
                                  dandid Level 4

can you try re-saving as a .psd and see if ai can handle that any better?

also obviously check in psd that is really is transparent no slight colour there,

is the .ai doc CMYK and the pgn RGB?

is it sitting over a spot colour?

is it too much of a common issue that you can't draw clipping path? the shadow could then be added to that clipped object as an .ai effect if you wanted to retain that soft edge.

would you actually ever send to print a file with a png and transparency interacting? i'd always flatten them as otherwise you are relying on the post process to rasterise the items together, i'd probably choose to either use a flattener in the pdf output, or rasterize the items in the ai file, to iron out the issue. ideally i'd export that area as a tiff and place it back in rasterised with the background it will inevitably become rasterised with anyway.

1 person found this helpful