8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2007 1:50 PM by ElisaFnord

TOC Chapters

vaprocura Level 1
      Whenever I import a Word document, the chapters in the TOC display as icons that appear as little red books. Some of these book icons can be double-clicked to display a converted page. However, the book icon changes to a topic icon when I compile my .chm file.
        • 1. Re: TOC Chapters
          Level 2
          I'm out of date with RoboHelp, but I think you can right click on the book, select "Properties" and change it from a "Book with no links" to a "Link to single topic." Hopefully, that will get you in the right direction if not exactly correct for your version.

John
          • 2. Re: TOC Chapters
            vaprocura Level 1
            I know the procedure. The problem is that the book icon changes to a page icon when my documentation is displayed in HTML Help.
            • 3. Re: TOC Chapters
              ElisaFnord Level 2
              That's weird behavior. I've done this many times and it worked in the .chm.

What happens if you change the TOC setting from double-click to single-click and generate the .chm again?

e
              • 4. TOC Chapters
                vaprocura Level 1
                That didn't work either. Something else I just noticed is that if I right-click the icon and check the Advanced tab in the Properties window, the icon is set to display as a book. However, if I close my project and then re-open it in RoboHelp, the book icon changes to a page icon - even in RoboHelp. If I right-click the icon and check the Advanced tab in the Properties window, the icon is now set to display as a page.
                • 5. TOC Chapters
                  ElisaFnord Level 2
                  I just ran a little test of my own. My behavior was exactly like yours, using brand-new topics in a project created in RH6 (not converted).

I tried it with my Primary Layout as HTMLHelp and WebHelp. Not only did the book appear as a page in both generated files, I closed and reopened the project in RH, and the TOC had a page where my book used to be!

When I said "this has worked many times," it was in previous versions of RoboHelp. You have found an RH6 bug, and I wish I remembered the URL where you go to report it, but I'm sure it's on this web site. Adobe owes you a big favor.

Elisa
                  • 6. Re: TOC Chapters
                    RoboWizard Level 4
                    Hi all

As Elisa said, you may have discovered a bug. If you believe you have, This Link should produce the bug reporting form (which also serves as a feature request form too).

I'm curious to know if this is the last topic in the TOC and you wish it to be a book. Or if there are no pages actually inside. (a book is only a book if pages exist inside it) I believe that in both cases, you get pages instead of books.

Cheers... Rick
                    • 7. TOC Chapters
                      vaprocura Level 1
                      The topic is the first topic in the TOC. There are no other pages inside. However, if I add other pages inside, the linked topic doesn't appear at all when I double-click the book icon. It will only appear in cases where there are no other pages inside.

Also, when I import a Word document, RoboHelp links single topics to books itself. These book icons then change to page icons if the project is closed and re-opened. So, in other words, even RoboHelp's own conversion from Word produces this problem. It doesn't just happen when I link a topic to a book manually myself.

I just noticed that I can get the page icon to display as a book icon if I choose another icon from the Advanced tab in the Properties window. Currently, it is set for Auto. But if I choose #1 instead, the icon will remain a book.
                      • 8. Re: TOC Chapters
                        ElisaFnord Level 2
                        Hi, Rick and vaprocura.

I admit it on a national forum - I was wrong. It's not a bug, it's intentional functionality - and vaprocura, you figured out how to customize it all on your own. Bravo!

Rick, your reasoning was persuasive, but what convinced me was opening up the .hhc files in a couple of projects. I have been editing .hhc files since Hector was a pup, and I never once noticed that 'books' and 'pages' are the same text/sitemap objects! That'll teach me not to ignore the code!

Elisa