20 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2010 9:17 PM by the_wine_snob

Finally given up on Adobe Premier Pro

Zivelisation

I have been working on a 10 minute HD commercial project, which would have taken me in iMove two hours, for a full 4 days in Premier Pro now (fool me). Getting messages such as, "no frame returned" and "no output generated" one moment and crashes the next (for goodness sake I am only stringing a few clips together, how difficvult can this be for a program?). One moment the sequence renders OK, the next moment the very same sequence exits when touching a clip for no reason whatsoever. Eventually it will render but then returns stretches of video showing just a black and white fields instead of movie footage. Then suddenly it crashes when moving the slider.

I am done now with CS3 for good. What a bad mistake having wasted my time with the persistent feeling that it could only be me not a quality Adobe product. Now I know the program sucks not me and I wished I had never installed it on my brand new, high-spec iMac in the first place.

I am resting all my hope now on CS5 which I have just odered, hoping that Adobe will have taken into account the latest Mac Hardware.

(I am only using Premier because of AfterEffects). If Adobe gets it wrong next time I will  be using Apple products only for video, full stop, and ask for my money back.

• 1. Re: Finally given up on Adobe Premier Pro
          Curt Wrigley Level 4

Sounds like you have a serious local problem; that new versions of sw are not going to fix.   Since you provided no details we cant offer much help.  Imovie is better for some people.

• 2. Re: Finally given up on Adobe Premier Pro
            Wil Renczes Adobe Employee

Sounds like a codec problem with your source footage.  You might be able to narrow it down to one bad clip...

• 3. Re: Finally given up on Adobe Premier Pro
              experiementaledits

Ive had my fair share of problems on both platoforms. But in all fairness, unless adobe pulls a 180 and completely rewrites their software from scratch, you're better off using fcp. Why did you buy software before trying it? Not so bright.

• 4. Re: Finally given up on Adobe Premier Pro
                the_wine_snob Level 9

You might want to take a look at this ARTICLE. It will give you some idea of the types of info, that will be useful to remotely troubleshoot issues, and tell you why it's important.

As for the "Failure to Return Frame," that is often caused by having a gap in the Timeline.

for goodness sake I am only stringing a few clips together, how difficvult can this be for a program?

For the vast majority of PrPro users, this is something that they do successfully, virtually in their sleep. Something is going wrong somewhere. The linked article above will give you some places to look.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Finally given up on Adobe Premier Pro
                  Curt Wrigley Level 4

experiementaledits wrote:

Ive had my fair share of problems on both platoforms. But in all fairness, unless adobe pulls a 180 and completely rewrites their software from scratch, you're better off using fcp. Why did you buy software before trying it? Not so bright.

Well, actually Adobe's Pr trial is as close to useless as you can get.  It drives more people away from Pr than it sells..   So you pretty much have to but it to really try it.

• 6. Re: Finally given up on Adobe Premier Pro
                    Zivelisation Level 1

"Why did you buy software before trying it? Not so bright."

I used Premier before Adobe abandoned the Mac Platform and I loved the program. I couldn't wait to install it again once I upgraded from the Mac G5 to Intel Mac. Premier Pro was part of the Master Suit.

• 7. Re: Finally given up on Adobe Premier Pro
                      experiementaledits Level 1
                      Well, actually Adobe's Pr trial is as close to useless as you can get.  It drives more people away from Pr than it sells..   So you pretty much have to but it to really try it.

Touche'

• 8. Re: Finally given up on Adobe Premier Pro
                        Zivelisation Level 1

Hi Bill,

"Failure to return frames" I found no gaps in the footage.

Could you give me a link to the Article  you mentioned please. Thanks.

• 9. Re: Finally given up on Adobe Premier Pro
                          Dag Norum Level 2

experiementaledits,

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

So you pretty much have to but it to really try it.

I don't think Curt's spelling mistake was a missing t, rather that the t should have been a y.

Anyway, the trial should be enough to see if the computer didn't handle Premiere though, at least to show off serious problems that, as Curt said, will not be better with a new version.

Dag

• 10. Re: Finally given up on Adobe Premier Pro
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Well DUH! I added the bold, but not the link (or the forum lost it - yeah, that's my story and I'm sticking to it... )

Let's try this again. Here is the ARTICLE. Just click the word "ARTICLE," and it should work now. Sorry for that. I got about half of it correct.

Good luck, and sorry that there were no gaps, as they are very easy to fix. Even a single-Frame gap can yield that error message, and when one is zoomed in to the Frame-level of the Timeline, they can be tough to find. They usually develop, as one moves Clips around. If one jams a Clip into another, the Snap Function will sometimes cause the moved Clip to be 1 - 2 Frames from butting up. Also, when one Trims a Clip, say removing a Frame, or two, and does so without Rippling, a tiny gap will be left, and is so often never seen, until an error pops up.

To complicate things, gaps do not always yield an error, or cause a problem, other than maybe a black "flash" in the Exported footage. If there are Dip-to-Black Transitions, that black "flash" will never be seen. I have seen a single Frame gap bring a Project to its knees, but saw one, with 900+ gaps Export fine.

One test for gaps, along with that error message is to add Transparent Video on an upper Video Track and just drag it to match the Duration of the Timeline. Export again. If there are now no errors, then it usually means that there was a gap, and it's now covered by the Transparent Video.

Be aware though, some systems (some Mac's for instance) and some Export formats (H.264) seem to have issues with "synthetic Video," like Transparent Video and Black Video.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Finally given up on Adobe Premier Pro
                              Zivelisation Level 1

Thanks Bill, for your very extensive help. I appreciate it. I checked all the footage at frame by frame resolution and there were no gaps. I now removed all the layers and the music track and it still crashed. I had already reduced the output from 1080p to 720p and it rendered more footage, but not all. Then I decided to render it in two hits, which worked. So I now have the complete footage in two bits at 720p with the layers and the sound track missing. At least I can stick it together in iMovie and add the layers and sound track there. This may see me through, but some seconds of video are substuted with a back and a white squares, which is very odd (although I will be able to insert these back in iMovie).

I wonder whether it is the memory. But I never had so much memory in my life (12GB). Or it could be an incompatibility with the brand new and untested i7 Intel iMac. Anyway, I decided to call it a day with Premier and see if CS5 works better in the future (it better be!!!).

I am amazed that there are so many problems at all in this day and age. It should theoretically be possible for software designers to give us a program which takes in footage in one end, allows us to edit and spits it out the other as the finished product. If it is a codec issue it should automatically convert to comply with whatever the program likes to work with. How difficult can that be to design?

Programs should should make life easy not shave years off our life expectancy with all the stress they cause.

• 12. Re: Finally given up on Adobe Premier Pro
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                I had already reduced the output from 1080p to 720p and it rendered more footage, but not all. Then I decided to render it in two hits, which worked.

Looking at some possibilities here:

What is the format of your HDD's, NTSF, or FAT-32?

Are there any external HDD's, especially USB's, involved in the editing?

What is the available, defragmented free space on your Export HDD, and also on your system HDD?

When you've had a chance to go over the article (finally linked), think about the system. Things like RAM and Page File can play an issue. Usually, one gets a "memory," or "resources" error, but not always. [Wish that all error messages were perfectly clear, and that all circumstances yielded the exact same well-detailed error message - always!]

On the off-chance that there are resources issues, this ARTICLE might give you some tips on getting your system ready for an editing session.

Good luck, and glad that you are making progress, though not as much as we'd all like, as as quickly, as we'd all like.

Hunt

• 13. Re: Finally given up on Adobe Premier Pro
                                  Dag Norum Level 2

A sidenote here,

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

I am amazed that there are so many problems at all in this day and age.

I'm not! I sort of would like that we all went back to the days of DOS (or CPM for that sake) when ALL programs had to be self-contained, with specific drivers to all the gear you had (eg. printer and so on). One problem now a days is "easy for whoever" and therefor the global drivers. Global means that one manufactorer of a program will install its priorities for whatever needed, while another manufacturer will try to install its "beneficial" properties.

Global then will sometimes mean conflicts, and that's why we, the users, unless we go a very specific way installing apps, will encouter problems.

Theoretically no problems yes, but all the SW companies are not working together.

Dag

• 14. Re: Finally given up on Adobe Premier Pro
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Dag,

You make a very good point. Going back, I could write my own driver for my Primages XL printer for WordPerfect (version 1, IIRC), and get every function to work perfectly. I would not even know where to start today. Like when I first popped the bonnet on my wife's new Saab 900 Turbo - I did not recognize anything under that bonnet. I could not find anything that I was familiar with. Same with programs today.

Hunt

• 15. Re: Finally given up on Adobe Premier Pro
                                      Zivelisation Level 1

Hi Bill,

The iMac is brand new, 12Gb ram, free HD space is 1.6TB, no external drive involved. The files are imported from my Canon 7D and are .mov format. I did a simple half hour edit before this of a lecture in full HD, but there where only 3 trasitions and a title sequence and no problems, it worked. This gave me the confidence to use CS3. I assume the gremlins crept in with the complexity (layers, stills, motion effects, filters etc) and perhaps, as you hinted at, invisble things. But I can't be bothered with all that anymore.

While I was away from the forum I edited the whole project again from scratch in iMovie. What a treat!! It took less than an hour. All in full HD with all the bells and wistles in one hit and it only took 3 minutes to render. I just have to put the music in. I am not even sure I will touch Premier again, not even CS5 unless it is as much fun to use as iMovie. Any effects iMovie can't handle I shall do in AfterEffects which I will then import as footage.

• 16. Re: Finally given up on Adobe Premier Pro
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

If iMovie is working, I see no reason to give up on it, and use another application.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I had forgotten that you were on the Mac, so some of those HDD questions that I asked have zero bearing on things.

• 17. Re: Finally given up on Adobe Premier Pro
                                          Wil Renczes Adobe Employee

"The files are imported from my Canon 7D and are .mov format."

That's the bit we were missing.  Not a supported format (camera didn't exist around CS3 timeframe).  You'll get full support for the DLSR cameras in CS5.

• 18. Re: Finally given up on Adobe Premier Pro
                                            Zivelisation Level 1

Thanks everybody. I'll try again with CS5.

• 19. Re: Finally given up on Adobe Premier Pro
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Interesting turn of events here.

This was my response to Craig:

When I first saw the screen name, I had the same feeling. Now we know, don't we? Kind of like the variations on JuJu, from some years ago. Not that easy to miss, though I do try to always give the "benefit of the doubt."

Hunt

• 20. Re: Finally given up on Adobe Premier Pro
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

In the meantime, the links in this ARTICLE might prove useful.

Good luck,

Hunt