2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2010 2:10 PM by wendy.skains

Is there a limit to number of files in a directory?

wendy.skains

I am working on a large Web site that has several directories, and one particular directory is quite large. The site is set up on a "virtual" server located halfway across Texas from where I am. We are having problems accessing the files in this directory (actually, the whole site). We have our site set up through Dreamweaver in the usual way ("site" then "new site") and there are three of us trying to access the server at any given moment of the day. The problems we are experiencing are DW takes a looooong time to open a file, refresh the list of files, DW stops responding, screen goes blank, the list goes on and on. I'm convinced the problem lies with the virtual server and its respective software and not our site contents or Dreamweaver.

When the server was located locally, we had no problems. When minds greater than ours moved the contents of the local server to another city on a virtual server, we started having access issues. The virtual server folks are saying the access issues are our fault because the directories are too big. We said funny, it worked just fine when the server was located locally.

So, before I go off half-cocked to the people on the virtual server end, my question is this: Does Dreamweaver have a limit on the number of files you can have in one directory? If so, is it limited by the actual number of files or the size of the directory itself?

Thanks for letting me vent!

• 1. Re: Is there a limit to number of files in a directory?
          Ben M Adobe Community Professional

No there is not a limit and if your host is telling you that your site is too large I would recommend looking elsewhere.  Or depending on your applications you might want to consider a dedicated server over a virtual server.  It sounds like you actually moved in the wrong direction with your site being hosted locally and then moving to a virtual server.  Also are you working with the check-in/check-out feature in DW or are you all working independently of one another?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is there a limit to number of files in a directory?
            wendy.skains Level 1

We know we moved in the wrong direction, but had no choice or say in the matter. When you work for a state agency in Texas, you get stuck with contract people and a governing state agency that directs all things technology-related... and neither have a CLUE. Ugh... I'm not even gonna get started.

And no, we don't use the check-in/check-out feature. We are never in the same files at the same time, so we have no problem with that.

Thank you for answering my question. I hope it helps others as well!