9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2010 8:11 PM by EllenWeaver

Moving from Premiere Elements 8 to CS5

ruzun Level 1

I have a few questions about the capabilities of CS5 compared to Premiere Elements.  I do mostly short Underwater videos and nature videos, about 2-10 mins in length.  I am very used to Premiere Elements 8 but would like to move to CS5 since my hardware seems right for it and I'd like to try out the more professional app.  I want to be sure CS5 can do the sort of simple transitions/titling/scrolling credits etc that I'm used to doing in Elements though.  I don't want to lose functionality in going to the more professional software.  basically all I ever use are fades and cross-dissolve transitions between scenes, and titles superimposed over video for credits, sometimes a scrolling credit at the end.

Can CS5 do the simple titling/scene transitions/scrolling credits etc I'm used to in Elements, or do they split all of that off into a separate app like after effects?

-Roger Uzun

• 1. Re: Moving from Premiere Elements 8 to CS5
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Roger,

Yes, and so very much more. Plus, if you are going to DVD-Video, or BD, Encore will be a dream come true. It is a bit more manual, than the limited authoring in PrE, but comes with so very much more power, that you will never look back, as soon as you become familiar with it.

As for the Transitions, you'll do things almost the exact same way.

With Titles, you have two basic Presets: Roll & Crawl, where PrE has maybe a dozen Presets. However, with Keyframing, which is much easier in PrPro, you can do anything that you might want.

While I have PrE 4, I do 95% of all editing in PrPro, without hesitation. I actually like the manual aspect, rather than a bunch of Presets, with less control.

Good luck, and just get ready for a slightly different look. Familiarize yourself with it, so that you be comfortable with where things are, what they are called and how they differ from PrE.

Enjoy,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Moving from Premiere Elements 8 to CS5
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Everything can be done in PR. Just watch some on line tutorials to see how it works or download the CS4 trial to try it out yourself. Be aware that the CS4 trial effectively only works with DV material.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Moving from Premiere Elements 8 to CS5
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I will add that there should be an Adobe Classroom in a Book for Premiere Pro CS5, Adobe Press, coming out soon. If the author is the same, as with CS3 and CS4, this is a MUST buy book. If structured as the previous editions have been, one would be hard-pressed to get a better quick and thorough education in CS5, than that book. I'd pre-order both the CS5 upgrade and CiaB CS5 at the same time.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Moving from Premiere Elements 8 to CS5
                EllenWeaver Level 1

I'm in a similar situation where I just upgraded from PrE 8 to CS5. I must admit I'm a bit overwhelmed on where to start since this is much different from upgrading from PrE7 to PrE8. I've been editing with Premiere Elements software for about 5 years now but this is my first time using pro. I opened my PREL file from PrE8 in my new CS5 software and the timeline is empty. I've been trying to find something in the forums as to why I can't see my project that I created in PrE8 without luck.  I read in another post something about AVCHD which is the format I originally recorded on a Sony HD camcorder. What am I missing? Any help would be appreciated.

By the way, I have a gateway 64bit processor, 9 gig ram, 2.67GHz, ATI graphics card, 700 gig hard drive.

• 5. Re: Moving from Premiere Elements 8 to CS5
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You should go read/ask in the CS5 forum http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/premierepro_current

One hard drive is not enough to even edit SD, let along AVCHD

Read Harm on drive setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/662972?tstart=0

• 6. Re: Moving from Premiere Elements 8 to CS5
                    EllenWeaver Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll check out the CS5 Forum. Looks like I need to spend some time learning how to navigate CS5. Also, a correction on my previous post, the clips I'm editing are .MTS format. Not sure if that makes a difference.

I'm also using an external drive with 1 terabyte of space for the project I'm working on.

• 7. Re: Moving from Premiere Elements 8 to CS5
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with John, that you will get more help for CS5 in the PrPro forum, as only a few users here use both programs.

For getting a quick start with CS5, I strongly recommend Adobe Classroom in a Book Premiere Pro CS5, Adobe Press, but not sure if it's shipped yet. The author, Curt Wrigley, does a great job with bringing one up to speed quickly, and also tells a lot of the "why," and not just the "how."

Once you get past the differences in the GUI, understand the concept of Sequences (like mini-Projects in one big Project), and a few other differences, it'll feel like an old friend. Having experience with NLE work, and with an Adobe program, much of the rest will be easy. A few of the terms are different, and their locations have moved, but strong similarities. More in PrPro is manual, with fewer Presets, etc., but you gain so very much control. You will love it.

I also agree with John about the hardware end, and second Harm Millaard's wonderful articles.

Good luck, and happy editing - see you in the CS5 forum!

Hunt

• 8. Re: Moving from Premiere Elements 8 to CS5
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>I'm editing are .MTS format

My CS5/AVCHD 1st Impressions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0

and http://forums.adobe.com/thread/653789?tstart=0

The computer I built is link inside the 1st link above

• 9. Re: Moving from Premiere Elements 8 to CS5
                          EllenWeaver Level 1

After 10 days of poking around I was finally able to open my project that I created in Premiere 8 in Premiere Elements Pro CS5. Ruzn, based on your description of doing mostly short films I'm not sure if Pro is worth the cost (unless you are a millionaire and money is no object. If that's the case, will you be my executive producer? ) There is a bit of a learning curve to find everything but for the most part, the functionality is the same. I work mostly on two hour films and love the ability to chunk up the work into sequences. It is however, much, much faster with less crashes. That alone was worth the money for me. Good luck.