10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2010 2:33 PM by Jacob Bugge

exporting artwork

jcz7

I am not working with Illustrator myself but I need to work with technical artwork created in Illustrator CS2 and CS3.

My problem is this: I need all artwork in the final document (a book) to look the same, i.e., the fonts and their sizes, line thickness etc., to be the same, or at least as close to each other as possible in all the figures. I understand the differences between

vector and raster graphics reasonably well, as well as pros and contras of both. I do not know, and cannot find out how to go about exporting artwork from Illustrator (or rasterizing) such that the exported graphic has the selected fonts and font sizes in the final document. Let me be more specific: suppose I need to insert a figure that in the final document is 3.5 in wide (its height depending on the aspect ratio that can change from case to case). I need all legends in Tahoma 10 pt in the final document. What are the necessary steps that would let me have the desired outcome?

I have spent not just hours but literary days searching for the answer, without success. It may be that the answer is very simple and known to most Illustrator users, but it is not obvious to me.

Will appreciate any help, especially links to a written stuff that would allow me to *understand* the process.

Thank you, Jan Adam

• 1. Re: exporting artwork
          [scott] Level 6

What are you using for layout?

It seems a simple matter to set all type to the same font and size. If you need them consistent, don't set type WITH the illustrations, set the type int eh layout app. If you want the type included in the illustrations, then ensure all your illustrations are at 100% in Illustrator, then ad the type. From there, simply do not scale the imported graphics in your layout application.

• 2. Re: exporting artwork
            jcz7 Level 1

Thank you a lot. I need the type in the figures as they are legends to axis

for plots and schemes of instruments, etc. I still do not understand what it

means 100% in a vector illustration, meaning 100% of what? Do I need to set

the document to a given size prior to making any figure and then set it

to 100%?

• 3. Re: exporting artwork
              [scott] Level 6

Again, what are you using for layout?

Are you importing Illustrator files into Indesign or are you creating everything in Illustrator? You need to fully explain your workflow, please.

The only way 12pt Tacoma would not be 12pt Tacoma is if you are scaling artwork somewhere. If you simply want all the type to be they same in Illustrator, just set it all with the same font and size.

• 4. Re: exporting artwork
                Doug Katz Level 4

Where you been, Scotty?

• 5. Re: exporting artwork
                  [scott] Level 6

CS5

• 6. Re: exporting artwork
                    jcz7 Level 1

A big part of my problem is that I am less than a newbie in AI. I am a

scientist editing a large book with many collaborating authors, a nightmare

by itself. Individual chapters are in MS Word. Illustrations range from

scientific plots (from SigmaPlot, Origin or Excel), photos (in various

formats) to drawings made in AI. At the moment, I am working with Word

documents and am inserting there low to medium quality artworks as jpg for

marking their placement in the final document and to make the text ready for

reviews. Eventually a designer will put everything together using Indesign.

Working with Word and inserting there jpg files, I run into the problems

with sizing illustration made in AI that I described in my first post. I am

trying to understand the process of converting a vector file made in AI into

a raster file that eventually, at the very end of the process, is printed. I

know that texts in AI are treated differently than objects like lines etc.

But I cannot find anywhere how it is done. Say, how AI users make sure

that the text they type in AI is printed in a size they desire?

• 7. Re: exporting artwork
                      MadAl_1009

Illustrator has a rasterize function under Object in the menu.

Depending upon the background color/texture of the imported images, you may need to have text deleted on a version so you'll have the option of resizing the image while keeping the text constant as was suggested.

• 8. Re: exporting artwork
                        Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Jan,

Let me be more specific: suppose I need to insert a figure that in the final document is 3.5 in wide (its height depending on the aspect ratio that can change from case to case). I need all legends in Tahoma 10 pt in the final document. What are the necessary steps that would let me have the desired outcome?

If you are working with vector artwork, just make it 3.5in wide and use Tahoma 10pt. That can go straight into InDesign as it is.

For preview in Worst you may just Export as JPEG (File>Export) in the same size and set the Quality to High or Maximum to avoid ugly experiences. In Worst, set the width of the image to 3.5in.

In order to export the artwork in question you need to define its borders.

In CS4 you set the Artboard using the Artboard Tool: With the Artboard Tool select the artwork, and in the Export window tick Use Artboard, tick Range, and insert the Artboard number (this is hearsay; I am still with 10).

In older versions, you create a rectangle that fits the borders and Object>Crop Area/Crop Marks

• 9. Re: exporting artwork
                          jcz7 Level 1

Thank you all for your help. With it, I have just achieved what I wanted.

Using CS2 I did it this morning by enclosing the drawings in a rectangle and

setting the fill and borderline of the rectangle to none, exactly as Jacob

suggested. It forced AI to save/export the artwork with a specified width

and thus scaling the fonts, line thicknesses, etc. in a predictable way. 

Your suggestions were very helpful and greatly appreciated. I think it such

a common task that it should be included in AI help menu somewhere.

• 10. Re: exporting artwork
                            Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

For my part you are welcome, Jan.