8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2010 9:11 AM by Flamtastic

Color Shifts in Exported AI Files

Flamtastic

When we export an image from Flash CS4 as an ai file & open in Illus CS3, the colors are off (loss of saturation, hue shift).

Does not happen when saved in other formats.  Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Color Shifts in Exported AI Files
          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It looks like when you export to Illustrator the file gets saved as CMYK. Try creating a new RGB Illustrator doc and then cut and paste.

• 2. Re: Color Shifts in Exported AI Files
            Flamtastic Level 1

Thanks Rob.  Yes, it chooses to export an ai file in a CMYK color mode.  If I export as a jpeg, it's RGB.  How do you change Flash settings for an .ai RGB export?

When you cut & paste from Flash into AI, you get another whole set of problems, the image looks like your viewing it through ripple glass.  It's all wavy.

I can change the Document Color Mode in AI from CMYK to RGB, not much happens.

I'm wondering if the answer is in Bridge's Creative Suite Color Settings.  Is it a layer thing?  Fixed in CS5???

• 3. Re: Color Shifts in Exported AI Files

I'm using CS3 and the export only lets me save to AI 6 or earlier—I don't think there was an RGB space in Illustrator back that far, so I don't think Bridge is the answer. You could look at Edit>Edit Colors...> Recolor Artwork where you can globally adjust the colors of a selection.

• 4. Re: Color Shifts in Exported AI Files
                Flamtastic Level 1

I have an involved commercial image with lots of layers to export.  That would take me days.

The colors are specific to a color palette (based on an established logo).  When the image is reassembled, all the separate images (parts of the illustration) and their colors need to match.

Also, don't have this problem going from Illus to Flash (of course, then I have numerous export/import options on both ends).

I worked in Illus w/ the exported palette (from Flash), but again, too time consuming.

Interestingly, my Flash CS4 doesn't seem to differentiate - it's just an ai file (OS X 10.6.3).

• 5. Re: Color Shifts in Exported AI Files

Looks like CS5 does solve this problem with the new fxg format which saves objects as xml and lets you exchange between flash and ai without loosing fonts and color.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Color Shifts in Exported AI Files
                    Flamtastic Level 1

Thanks again Rob.  That's great news!  I really appreciate your legwork on my behalf.

I was not aware of the fxg format.  Seems to make a lot of sense.

I wonder if this will modify the export process from Illus. > Flash (vs all the export/import windows that currently exist).

Hopefully I can get beyond this when I receive my CS5 suite in a few weeks.

I assume that the vectors will be preserved as well?

• 7. Re: Color Shifts in Exported AI Files

There's a new features clip at lynda.com. Looks really good everything gets preserved going both ways

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Color Shifts in Exported AI Files
                        Flamtastic Level 1

Really glad to hear that.  Looks like Lynda has a clip on every Adobe CS5 product.

I'll have to spend some time there later today.