10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2010 11:28 AM by Dirty Jobs Guy

Poor quality on youtube

Dirty Jobs Guy

Hi,

I'm new to elements and would like to get some help from all of you. I do my recording with a Sony Mini DVD camcorder and transfer them into Photoshop. I purchased Elements Premiere to edit them, add music and create videos. My son recently had a project due for a Spanish class and I recorded it, edited it and posted it to youtube. The quality was terrible! I'm sure it was due to something I did in the saving process but I'm not sure what I could do different. The picture quality while editing the video wasn't all that great, but it is even worse when I watch it on youtube.

Any coaching would be great.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Poor quality on youtube
          the_wine_snob Level 9
          I do my recording with a Sony Mini DVD camcorder and transfer them into Photoshop.

This confuses me greatly. If you are shooting video, where does PS come into the workflow?

If you are shooting a mini DVD camera, are you doing a Project Preset for that footage?

Sorry to be so daft, but I am not following what you are doing, and why you are doing it.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - welcome to the forum!

• 2. Re: Poor quality on youtube
            Dirty Jobs Guy Level 1

Hi Bill,

I purchased PS to edit and then share videos. I record them onto the mini DVD, then transfer them into PS Elements and, in this latest project, created a kind of mini movie. I think my process was correct in the editing faze, I'm just not sure that I saved it into the correct file/format or perhaps my initial transfer from the mini to the hardrive wasn't done in the best format. What is a project preset?

Thanks

Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 21:17:48 -0600

To: eadgrowe@q.com

Subject: Poor quality on youtube

I do my recording with a Sony Mini DVD camcorder and transfer them into Photoshop.

This confuses me greatly. If you are shooting video, where does PS come into the workflow?

If you are shooting a mini DVD camera, are you doing a Project Preset for that footage?

Sorry to be so daft, but I am not following what you are doing, and why you are doing it.

Good luck,

Hunt

>

• 3. Re: Poor quality on youtube
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Photoshop (PS) does do some video work, with the Extended version, but the program is really an image editing app, and is not meant for Capture. That is where I am confused.

PrE (and PrPro) are NLE's and are designed for Video editing and for Capture, from mini DV tape cameras, via FireWire. Can you explain how Photoshop figures into your workflow? I just do not see it for that purpose.

This ARTICLE will also give you some tips on the types of info, that will be so useful to us.

Good luck, and please let us know more about your workflow.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Poor quality on youtube
                Dirty Jobs Guy Level 1

Thank you so much for taking your time to help, please remember, that I'm not a "techie".

I'm not sure what you mean by "work flow". I record the video on my camera, then open up Elements, if its a new project I open "new Project, I name it and then go to "get Video" and it transfers onto my computer. Once there I then in this instance, figured out how to cut out things in the video I didn't want, import a sound tract, and then put credits at the end. He then needed to put it on youtube, so when I saved it chosing the file that was recomended for transfer to youtube, from a tutorial.

I don't have a camera that has a port for FireWire, only the Mini DVD.

DJG

Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 22:43:23 -0600

Photoshop (PS) does do some video work, with the Extended version, but the program is really an image editing app, and is not meant for Capture. That is where I am confused.

PrE (and PrPro) are NLE's and are designed for Video editing and for Capture, from mini DV tape cameras, via FireWire. Can you explain how Photoshop figures into your workflow? I just do not see it for that purpose.

This http://forums.adobe.com/thread/459220?tstart=0 will also give you some tips on the types of info, that will be so useful to us.

Good luck, and please let us know more about your workflow.

Hunt

>

• 5. Re: Poor quality on youtube
                  nealeh Level 5

There are no standard abbreviations in these forums and I think some of the confusion is your description of the products.  Personally I use PSE for Photoshop Elements and PRE for Premiere Elements.

If I understand your last post you are importing your video into the Organiser and then using PRE to edit / export for YouTube. If this is so then first check this item in the FAQ section: How can I get the best quality video on YouTube?

If that doesn't help then we'll need more information about your computer, your footage (what took it, how did it get onto your PC) and your Project Preset. Check this article: Got a Problem? How to Get Started

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 6. Re: Poor quality on youtube
                    Dirty Jobs Guy Level 1

Thank you very much! I will give that a try.

DJG

Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 04:25:23 -0600

There are no standard abbreviations in these  forums and I think some of the confusion is your description of the products.  Personally I use PSE for Photoshop Elements and PRE for Premiere Elements.

If I understand your last post you are importing your video into the Organiser and then using PRE to edit / export for YouTube. If this is so then first check this item in the FAQ section: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/390608?tstart=30

If that doesn't help then we'll need more information about your computer, your footage (what took it, how did it get onto your PC) and your Project Preset. Check this article: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/459220?tstart=0

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

>

• 7. Re: Poor quality on youtube
                      Barb__O Level 4

DJG

I record the video on my camera, then open up Elements, if its a new project I open "new Project, I name it and then go to "get Video" and it transfers onto my computer.

I agree with almost all of Neale's post. However, there is one thing that I may be interpreting differently from Neale.  Because you say that you Open a new Project (with specific emphais on Project) I suspect that you are doing this entire "workflow" using Premiere Elements .

Also,
                      -- which version of Premiere Elements are you running ? (sorry if you said and I missed it)
                      what are the your project settings for the Premiere Elements project ?

Note: I am emphasizing the Project Settting because if it was never changed from the default DV project setting then it will not be the correct project setting for mini DVD.  I think there is probably a workaround for tihs (if necessary). 
                      • 8. Re: Poor quality on youtube
                        Dirty Jobs Guy Level 1

Hi thanks,

Yes that's exactly what I did, after recording the video onto the mini dvd I finalized the disk, then put it in my dvd drive in the computer. I have PE 8.0, and at the welcome screen I hit "New Project" so yes I' am doing this entire project in PE8. I'm not sure what "settings" your referring to so it must be set to the default. I wasn't aware that I could change the settings.

Thanks again for the help,

DJG

PS. I did try Neale' suggestion, and saved a version in a file using Neale' settings, the picture was better but the soundtrack was way off.

Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 11:05:22 -0600

DJG

I record the video on my camera, then open up Elements, if its a new

project I open "new Project, I name it and then go to "get Video" and

it transfers onto my computer.

I agree with almost all of Neale's post. However, there is one thing that I may be interpreting differently from Neale.  Because you say that you Open a new Project (with specific emphais on Project) I suspect that you are doing this entire "workflow" using Premiere Elements .

Also, -- which version of Premiere Elements are you running ? (sorry if you said and I missed it)*- * what are the your project settings for the Premiere Elements project ?

Note: I am emphasizing the Project Settting because if it was never changed from the default DV project setting then it will not be the correct project setting for mini DVD.  I think there is probably a workaround for tihs (if necessary). 

>

• 9. Re: Poor quality on youtube
                          Barb__O Level 4

I have PE 8.0, and at the welcome screen I hit "New Project" so yes I' am doing this entire project in PE8. I'm not sure what "settings" your referring to so it must be set to the default. I wasn't aware that I could change the settings.

After you choose New Project, I expect you see a popup type window where you name that project.  It shows the project setting and below the display of the current project setting is a button for "Change Settings". 

Within the possible project settings, I believe that one of the Hard Disk, Flash Memory Camcorder settings will be the choice that best fits your camcorder.  If you have Standard Definition video that is widescreen, then I suspect that the subselection of Widescreen 48kHz  will be the choice.

Now there is the consideration that the project setting is chosen at the beginning of the project.  So I think that the simplest approach is for you to start a new project (for experimenting) with this project setting, add a video and test the results. Once you have a project swhere the project setting matches your video format, then you can use the advice for uploading to youtube.

General recommendation

Since you are new to Premiere Elements, I highly recommend Steve Grisetti's book "The Muvipix.com Guide to Adobe Premiere Elements 8" that is available from Amazon.   I have Prem Elem v7 and I have literally held Steve's book in one hand and my mouse in the other hand while using Premiere Elements.

• 10. Re: Poor quality on youtube
                            Dirty Jobs Guy Level 1

I will order his book right now! Great tip, thanks a lot.

I was hoping to experiment with PE before I had something important to do with it, but it didn't work out that way.

Thanks again for taking the time to help. I hope someday I can return the favor.

DJG

Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 09:59:33 -0600

I have PE 8.0, and at the welcome screen I hit "New Project" so yes I'

am doing this entire project in PE8. I'm not sure what "settings" your

referring to so it must be set to the default. I wasn't aware that I

could change the settings.

After you choose New Project, I expect you see a popup type window where you name that project.  It shows the project setting and below the display of the current project setting is a button for "Change Settings". 

Within the possible project settings, I believe that one of the Hard Disk, Flash Memory Camcorder settings will be the choice that best fits your camcorder.  If you have Standard Definition video that is widescreen, then I suspect that the subselection of Widescreen 48kHz  will be the choice.

Now there is the consideration that the project setting is chosen at the beginning of the project.  So I think that the simplest approach is for you to start a new project (for experimenting) with this project setting, add a video and test the results. Once you have a project swhere the project setting matches your video format, then you can use the advice for uploading to youtube.

General recommendation

Since you are new to Premiere Elements, I highly recommend Steve Grisetti's book "The Muvipix.com Guide to Adobe Premiere Elements 8" that is available from Amazon.   I have Prem Elem v7 and I have literally held Steve's book in one hand and my mouse in the other hand while using Premiere Elements.

>