21 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2011 7:37 AM by Pee Pro

Highest quality output in Premeire Elements?

Makaveli46

I am shooting video with a Nikon D3s.  No matter what output option I select, the final file looks terrible and barely resembles my original file.  What option do I select to ensure that I am outputting the finished movie at the hightest possible video quality?

• 1. Re: Highest quality output in Premeire Elements?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

What is your output delivery scheme? That will dictate what you Export/Share to.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Highest quality output in Premeire Elements?
            Makaveli46 Level 1

Eventually I want the file to be on You Tube.  But I don't want to upload a file that already looks bad on my desktop. This is a clip that I put on Vimeo where I simply took the 10 second file right from the camera and uploaded it to Vimeo without going into Premiere: http://vimeo.com/9848136  The video looks great to my eyes.

However, if I take 20 clips from my camera and edit them in Premiere, no matter how I output the file onto my desktop, it looks terrible.  Poor color and too much compression.

What output should I select so that I can have a finished file that looks as good as my original clips?  I see high quality clips on You Tube all the time...

• 3. Re: Highest quality output in Premeire Elements?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, help us out here. Does that Nikon record video in MJPEG format/CODEC, like the D-90 and others do? If so, which MJPEG CODEC do you have installed?

Let's step back to the beginning, and do a full set of details on everything. This ARTICLE will give you tips on the info, that will be useful.

Good luck, and please let us know the full details,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Highest quality output in Premeire Elements?
                Makaveli46 Level 1

This is a link to an original, untouched D3s video file:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EKFJX3MS

I don't know what codecs are installed in Premiere, but I copied a bunch of system information after reading the article you linked to.  Again, my question is, how do I output a D3s file to give it the highest quality after I have done some editing in Premiere.

I'm wondering now if the problem isn't occuring when I first start the new project.  What option do I select for "new project"?  I've been using "DV" because that is what I was using for my Sony Mini DV camcorder, but is there a different preset that I should be using with the Nikon video?

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
                Version    6.1.7600 Build 7600
                Other OS Description     Not Available
                OS Manufacturer    Microsoft Corporation
                System Name   
                System Manufacturer    Gateway
                System Model    FX530
                System Type    x64-based PC
                Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q6600  @ 2.40GHz, 2394 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
                BIOS Version/Date    Intel Corp. LA97510J.15A.0285.2007.0906.0226, 9/6/2007
                SMBIOS Version    2.3
                Windows Directory    C:\Windows
                System Directory    C:\Windows\system32
                Boot Device    \Device\HarddiskVolume1
                Locale    United States
                Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
                User Name   
                Time Zone    Eastern Daylight Time
                Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    8.00 GB
                Total Physical Memory    8.00 GB
                Available Physical Memory    6.38 GB
                Total Virtual Memory    16.0 GB
                Available Virtual Memory    14.4 GB

Display:

Name    NVIDIA GeForce 7500 LE (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)
                PNP Device ID    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_01DD&SUBSYS_2510174B&REV_A1\4&2B6A9832&0&0008
                Adapter Type    GeForce 7500 LE, NVIDIA compatible
                Adapter Description    NVIDIA GeForce 7500 LE (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)
                Adapter RAM    256.00 MB (268,435,456 bytes)
                Installed Drivers    nvd3dumx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2umx.dll, nvwgf2um
                Driver Version    8.15.11.8593
                INF File    nv_lh.inf (nv_G7x section)
                Color Planes    Not Available
                Color Table Entries    4294967296
                Resolution    1600 x 1024 x 59 hertz
                Bits/Pixel    32
                Memory Address    0xE1000000-0xE1FFFFFF
                Memory Address    0xD0000000-0xDFFFFFFF
                Memory Address    0xE0000000-0xE0FFFFFF
                IRQ Channel    IRQ 16
                I/O Port    0x000003B0-0x000003BB
                I/O Port    0x000003C0-0x000003DF
                Memory Address    0xA0000-0xBFFFF
                Driver    c:\windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys (8.15.11.8593, 11.04 MB (11,572,512 bytes), 7/13/2009 5:59 PM)

VIdeo Codecs:

c:\windows\system32\iyuv_32.dll    Microsoft Corporation        OK    C:\Windows\system32\IYUV_32.DLL    6.1.7600.16490    53.00 KB (54,272 bytes)    2/9/2010 11:14 PM
                c:\windows\system32\lvcod64.dll    Logitech Inc.        OK    C:\Windows\system32\LVCOD64.DLL    11.0.0.1213    464.78 KB (475,936 bytes)    5/9/2007 10:47 PM
                c:\windows\system32\msrle32.dll    Microsoft Corporation        OK    C:\Windows\system32\MSRLE32.DLL    6.1.7600.16490    16.00 KB (16,384 bytes)    2/9/2010 11:14 PM
                c:\windows\system32\msvidc32.dll    Microsoft Corporation        OK    C:\Windows\system32\MSVIDC32.DLL    6.1.7600.16490    38.00 KB (38,912 bytes)    2/9/2010 11:14 PM
                c:\windows\system32\msyuv.dll    Microsoft Corporation        OK    C:\Windows\system32\MSYUV.DLL    6.1.7600.16490    24.50 KB (25,088 bytes)    2/9/2010 11:14 PM
                c:\windows\system32\tsbyuv.dll    Microsoft Corporation        OK    C:\Windows\system32\TSBYUV.DLL    6.1.7600.16490    14.50 KB (14,848 bytes)    2/9/2010 11:14 PM

Thank you,

• 5. Re: Highest quality output in Premeire Elements?
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Per the FAQs to the righ tof this forum, video from still cameras will need to be converted to DV-AVIs before you will be able to successfully use it in Premiere Elements.

You'll find more information in my article linked to in this FAQ.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

• 6. Re: Highest quality output in Premeire Elements?
                    nealeh Level 5

You should update your video drivers from http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us. You're running a 185 release which is ten months old. The current version is 197.45WHQL (released yesterday). If your video is that out of date you should probably check your sound card drivers as well.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 7. Re: Highest quality output in Premeire Elements?
                      Makaveli46 Level 1

Thank you for the responses.  I am going to experiement with different settings when I first import the file as per the advice from Steve's link.  Hopefully I will then be converting the dslr video into Premiere properly.  I tried to update the video card driver but was unsuccessful.  I have a feeling that isn't really the problem.

Does anyone know if Premiere 8 actually has an import setting for "DSLR" video or something like that?

• 8. Re: Highest quality output in Premeire Elements?

Unfortunately, no. This is why a conversion to a more 'standard' video format is recommended.

• 9. Re: Highest quality output in Premeire Elements?
                          Mika Järvinen Level 1

Hey Makaveli,

I downloaded your original file and looked it specs. First thing is that what options do you have when recording with Nikon d30 with frame rates? I mean that it showed up that you have exactly 24 frames per second, what this program can not support. So for me as also dslr-user it seems to be like a miracle that you got something finalized at all. That is why vimeos video isn't playing smoothly.

So try to find out if you can record a short footage for instance in ntsc format (29,97 frames per second) or 25p. I can do more testing with that file if needed then.

-Mika

d30.jpg

• 10. Re: Highest quality output in Premeire Elements?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            Does anyone know if Premiere 8 actually has an import setting for "DSLR" video or something like that?

Unfortunately, PrE 8 does not have such Presets. PrPro CS5 will be adding several such Presets. It has been announced at NAB on Monday, and actual shipping is slated for mid-May.

I would anticipate that PrE 9 will also have several DSLR Presets included, but that is only speculation on my part. Nothing, along those lines, has been leaked, so we'll have to wait until about September, 2010, to know for sure.

There are also many links in this ARTICLE on DSLR material, with some blog-spots, tutorials and reviews, plus threads from several different fora.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Highest quality output in Premeire Elements?

A very good point, Mika. But converting the file may fix that also.

• 12. Re: Highest quality output in Premeire Elements?
                                Makaveli46 Level 1

Based on advice from this thread I am using MPEG Streamclip to convert the Nikon files to AVI.  I am following the instruction in the link in this thread, but no matter what options I select, the file created by the program is 720 by 480 instead of my original 1280 by 720.  I have selected every option that says 1280 but the resulting file is still 720.  And yes, I've selected 16:9 as it said in the link.

The file from MPEG Streamclip looks pretty good, considering its not full size but does anyone know how I can get the Streamclip file to be 1280 by720 like my original file?

And, when I take the Streamline file, do I import it into Premiere as a hard drive camcorder file?

• 13. Re: Highest quality output in Premeire Elements?

I don't know of a program that will convert your video into a hi-def video. But, unless your goal is ultimately to output a BluRay disc, a 720x-480 DV-AVI should work just fine for you.

Don't use the hard drive camcorder preset. Use the standard DV preset. Your video clips should not have a red line above them when you add them to your timeline.

If you absolutely need to keep this video in hi-def, it may be necessary to find a program that will convert it to a hi-def file or you may need to use a different editing program to edit this file.

• 14. Re: Highest quality output in Premeire Elements?
                                    Makaveli46 Level 1

It doesn't need to be perfect quality because its just going to end up on the web.  I'll try the preset that you suggested when I try to edit this project tomorrow.  Thank you for the help.

• 15. Re: Highest quality output in Premeire Elements?
                                      Makaveli46 Level 1

Just wanted to update this thread.

I am getting a good result by using MPEG Streamclip to convert the Nikon D3s file.  Then I import the converted file in Premiere using the standard DV preset.  Then I output the file as an AVI move.  The resulting file looks very good -although the file is large (1.5 Gig for my 6 minute movie).

I thank everyone who helped me with this problem.

• 16. Re: Highest quality output in Premeire Elements?

We love to hear the success stories! Thanks for reporting back, Makaveli!

• 17. Re: Highest quality output in Premeire Elements?
                                          nealeh Level 5

If you are still looking to upscale SD to HD there are a few commercial products that claim to do this (http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=upscale+sd+to+hd). But I also came across this, which uses the free VirtualDub and AVISynth:

http://www.gyroshot.com/simpleslug.htm

http://www.gyroshot.com/upscale1.htm

If you try it out do let us know how you got on.

Cheers,
                                          --
                                          Neale
                                          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 18. Re: Highest quality output in Premeire Elements?
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Red Giant's Magic Bullet Instant HD is another well-recommended one. The Advanced version is for AE, and the regular works fine in PrPro - PrE is not listed, so I rather doubt that it is compatible. Not sure if it's in their update/upgrade plans?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 19. Re: Highest quality output in Premeire Elements?
                                              Pee Pro

Hello everybody,can anyone help me I am trying to export high quality video from adobe cs4 whoch settings do i use and upon making the dvd which settings do i use please help i  costantly get poor and overcompressed quality video.

• 20. Re: Highest quality output in Premeire Elements?

You may get better response to this question if you post to the Premiere CS4 forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/premierepro_previous