1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 14, 2010 10:16 AM by Karl_Sigiscar_1971

New Flex WebSite in Cairngorm Framework

TanweerHq

Hello All,

I am a newbie to flex. Somehow i learnt flex technology, Cairngorm Framework and ActionSript 3.0. Now i am planning to start flex website.

My architecture,

FLEX[CairnGorm] --> .NET WEB-SERVICES --> MY-SQL 5.0

Now, i had the project set up. My only doubt is, what to use for the flex pages, Module or States or Componets ?????

I know the advantages and disadvantages of each.But i appreciate if any expert guides me ....

Also hwo to change the states of pages in Cairngorm framework..is this done in commad where we vhave the actual business process and get the results

from the web service ?

Please guide me...

Regards,

Ravie

• 1. Re: New Flex WebSite in Cairngorm Framework
          Karl_Sigiscar_1971 Level 3

WebOrb allows you to use AMF with .NET. You don't have to stick to web services / XML:

http://www.themidnightcoders.com/products/weborb-for-net/developer-den/technical-articles/ introduction-to-flex-and-net-integration.html

Concerning Modules, States and Components, you must be confused. They are not of the same nature.

- Modules are to break down an application into smaller chunks you can download as needed.

- Components are reusable (usually visual) classes that you can instantiate in MXML or ActionScript and that can themselves be written in MXML or ActionScript

- States represent the states of a given component

You can use all of these in a single project.

In addition, use the history manager and URL fragments for deep linking so users can bookmark you can link directly to a given section of your Flex website.

>>> Also, how do you change the state of pages with the Cairngorm framework ? Is it done in commands where we have the actual business process and get the results from the web service ?

You can use the presentation model pattern. The view state and view logic of each view are located in a corresponding presentation model. When a command calls a service and gets a result, it modifies the application model the presentation model binds to, thereby triggering a change of state in the UI trough data binding.

The view binds to the PM. The PM binds to the application object model. The command updates the latter. Via data binding, both the PM and the view are updated. For example, the view state that is maintained in a PM can correspond to an actual state in the view defined in the <mx:states> tag:

http://blogs.adobe.com/tomsugden/parsley/