5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2010 12:00 PM by the_wine_snob

How to delete a project?

pettyimage Level 1

Hi,

how can I delete a project in Premiere Elements 8?

pettyimage

• 1. Re: How to delete a project?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

In my books I recommend an old videomaker trick: Whenever you start a new project, create a new folder for it. Then, as you work, all of your media files, project files, auto-saves, render files, scratch disk and temp files will be in one place. Deleting the project from your hard drive is then as simple as deleting that folder.

However, if you haven't done that, you'll need to hunt these pieces down.

Deleting the .prel file is easy -- although it's a pretty small file.

The other supporting files will be in sub-folders in the same location as the .prel file, usually with names related to the project file's name.

The media files, on the other hand, you'll need to locate and remove manually.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to delete a project?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Before you Delete the Project folder w/ all Render file folders, Scratch Disks, etc. (per Steve's suggested layout), I would suggest thinking about using the Archiver, unless you are 100% certain, that you will never revisit that Project again.

I always Archive to an external HDD, just in case.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How to delete a project?
              pettyimage Level 1

Thanks for your answers. The tip of Steve Grisetti is good, i will handle it like this in further projects.

• 4. Re: How to delete a project?
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Lots of tips like that in my books, petty!

• 5. Re: How to delete a project?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Depending on the total number of HDD's one has, and their configurations, a little improvement in processing throughput could be gained, by having the Scratch Files, and also the Export folders on separate discs, or RAID Arrays. However, that tiny bit of performance will be offset, IMHO, by the extra "housekeeping" required, when the Project is done.

With the exception of Capture from mini DV tape, which I can always redo, as I do not overwrite my tapes, I always only work with copies of my Assets, whether they are SFX, music, stills, or stock video. I create the Project "root" folder on my D:\ (on my laptop), and then add the full folder structure, with say Music, Audio, SFX, Still Images, Video, etc., below that Project folder. I Copy my Assets into the appropriate sub-folders and also locate my Scratch Disks to "Same As Project."

When I Export my Timelines, I do so to a sub-folder: "Finished AVI's," and "Finished AC3's," within that Project's root folder. As I use Encore for authoring, I will create my Encore Project within that Project's root folder too.

Once I am done, I will archive everything onto an external HDD. As I combine both my Premiere Project and my Encore Project, I must do this via Windows Explorer, or must do a two-step, if I use PremierePro's Project Manager (rather like Archiver) for the NLE work, and then add the Encore folders/files to that archived structure. Before I put the external back on the shelf, I will Open my Project and test it. Finally, I'll Delete the CFA, PEK, Render, etc. files, as either PrPro, or I, can recreate those, as is necessary. Same for my Encore Transcoded (Media Cache) files. This pares down the Project, and all it will cost me is a few minutes, for any of those files to be recreated, should I have to revisit the Project. It's a little work, but I know that the Project works, and that I have all that I need.

Good luck,

Hunt