4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2010 6:17 AM by the_wine_snob

Save Error - says file is locked?

Limon26 Level 1

When I try to save my premiere file, it says "could not open the project file with write

access.  the file may be locked or you may not have permission to wirte to this location.

select "save as" from the file menu to save the project to a new location"

so, i have to keep saving as a different name everytime i want to save my file?

what's going on?

• 1. Re: Save Error - says file is locked?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Are you running with admin rights?

Check your user rights.

• 2. Re: Save Error - says file is locked?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Is you Asset on a network drive?

Do you have Windows Indexing turned on?

What Harm said.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Save Error - says file is locked?
              Limon26 Level 1

Yes, on a network drive.  What is windows indexing?

• 4. Re: Save Error - says file is locked?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Windows Indexing is a little app, that prowls your system, looking for files that it can index to speed up Searches. It works fine for DOC, TXT, etc. files, but not well for AV and image files, though it will try. During this indexing process, it will lock the file, while it attempts to gather data. It will be unsuccessful, but that won't stop it. With the large AV files, this process can take some time, and for every change, it will start all over again. Same for the large working files in an NLE. I keep it turned off for all HDD's and all folder, but some will keep it on for just their My Document, or similar folders.

The networked drive is probably the issue. It appears that you do not have full rights to the files on that drive. Try Copying the files to an internal, and try again from there. If it now succeeds, that was definitely your problem. PrPro does not work well in a networked environment. For Asset archiving, I use a NAS, but always Copy the Assets over to an internal, or at least a non-networked HDD.

Good luck,

Hunt