14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2010 2:56 PM by nealeh

I need help with export settings

josejb70

Hi everyone,

I need help outputting an HD file for presenting a video to a client. I have tried exporting to HD .mov (H.264 codec) and PE keeps crashing (error compiling movie). From what I’ve read here, it’s due to the gargantuan file QT creates and HD space (even though I think I have enough HD available).

So, I need a recommendation from you on what kind of file to output which will allow me to present the movie to the client in HD. This file is solely for the presentation, I have already published for web (FLV) and YouTube (direct share from PE) and they both worked fine.

Here are my project specs:

Timeline:           4:26
      Format:               1920 X 1080 HD
      Timebase:          29.97 frames per second
      Processor:          Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.66GHz
      RAM:                    4GB
      Project Drive:   250GB disk with 152GB free space internal dedicated project drive (separate from OS)

Thanks in advance for your help,

Jose

• 1. Re: I need help with export settings
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You don't say what kind of camcorder your original video came from, but that can make a big difference also. AVCHD, which codes with H.264, can be a bear to work with! HDV is much easier.

If you can't encode to H.264 with Premiere Elements on your system, there are some dedicated conversion programs. Adobe's Media Encoder, for instance. Also, Neale found this great, apparently free program. http://forums.adobe.com/thread/616963?tstart=0

Finally, for $29 you download Quicktime Pro from Apple.com. It's a great little video processor and encoder which certainly should be able to create H.264 to your specs.

• 2. Re: I need help with export settings
            josejb70 Level 1

Hi Steve, thanks for your reply.

Video came from two sources.

1) THE CLIENT: I've got a call into the videographer for the camera specs. In the  meantime...We filmed the client with a professional HD tape camera. The videographer then supplied MOV files to me (I belive he uses Canopus). The MOV files are MPEG-4 Video (1920X1080) AAC at 30fps

2) B-ROLL: This footage came from a consumer Sony HD camcorder (model: HDR-CX150). The footage file type is AVCHD 1080i format (1440X1080) at 29.97fps. The video codec is AVC.

Please tell me more about QT pro. I'll be glad to spend the $29. But then, what do I do? Do I open the PE project in QT Pro?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jose

P.S I'll post again as soon as I hear from the videographer.

• 3. Re: I need help with export settings

Don't you just hate it when you get two different video formats for the same project?

So the first thing I'd do is convert one or both into one format.

I'm no expert on Quicktime Pro, but you should be able to just open either of this videos in it and then select what format you want to output it as.

The ideal format would be and MPEG (aka MTS) 1440x1080 30 fps. That's HDV, and once converted to this format, these files should load perfectly into a Premiere Elements project using the HDV settings.

If that format isn't available from Quicktime Pro, I'd recommend you post to the Community forum at http://Muvipix.com. No doubt someone there knows exactly what to do with that file in Quicktime Pro, and you'll likely get an answer within an hour or so.

• 4. Re: I need help with export settings
                josejb70 Level 1

Hi Steve,

Considering how this project went down, I'm glad I got the files period! LOL!

Ok, so to make sure I understand you, the problem with PE crashing is because of the discrepancy of file formats. Is that correct? And, if so, if I convert everything to the same file format I will be able to export the movie using HDV settings into an HD MOV file I can use for my presentation, right?

Thanks

Jose

P.S. If the above is true, why did the YouTube upload and FLV export went so smoothly? Any thoughts?

• 5. Re: I need help with export settings

I don't know your situation well enough to speculate why some exports are problems, Jose.

But, yes, if your project is set up as an HDV project and you import HDV footage into it (ie, when you put the clips on your timeline, they do not have a red line above them), then you should have no problems outputting your files and the quality should be excellent.

• 6. Re: I need help with export settings
                    josejb70 Level 1

Steve, I can't thank you enough for your multiple replies! I really appreciate them!!!

The only red line I see when I import a file is the timeline, which naturally turns to green when I render it. If you're referring to a different red line, then I must be ok because I don't see any. Images (full timeline and close-up) below.

Jose

Image1.JPG

Image2.JPG

• 7. Re: I need help with export settings
                      nealeh Level 5

I think you must still have a mismatch between footage and preset. If your clips are HDV and your preset is HDV the clips should import with no red line.

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale
                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 8. Re: I need help with export settings
                        josejb70 Level 1

Hi Nealeh,

Then definitely I have a mismatch! I've never had a clip come in without a red timeline line... Thanks for your feedback!

Jose

• 9. Re: I need help with export settings
                          nealeh Level 5

It may be best if you could run your clips through GSpot and post screen captures here. This article may be of some help: How can I convert my AVCHD footage to more traditional HDV?

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale

• 10. Re: I need help with export settings
                            josejb70 Level 1

Hi guys, good morning.

Nealeh, thanks for the link  to convert the video. I'm gonna take a look at it right away. I'm  writing because I heard back from the videographer. Here's what he  wrote:

HDV...  the camera was a Sony HDR -Z5U  the  settings were 1440x1080  at 60i  The original firewire capture was   Grass Valley Canopus HQ  1440x1080

So, at least part of my footage is HDV. Now I have to convert the "bad" footage. I checked my project settings and indeed it is set to AVCHD. So, here are some questions for you guys:

1. I created a new project in HDV 1080i 30 and tried importing one of the MOV files of the client footage which was shot in HDV. The footage still comes in with a red line (see below)

Image4.JPG

So, does this mean that even though that footage was shot in HDV, maybe the videographer output it to ACVHD?

2. If the above is right, then wouldn't my existing project be consistent? ACVHD for both client and b-roll, and for project settings...

3. Is there an easy way to transfer or convert my existing project? I tried copy/paste from the ACVHD project to the test HDV project and couldn't. Am I gonna have to redo the whole 5 minute movie?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jose

• 11. Re: I need help with export settings

Most likely the reason you're seeing a red line above your HDV clips is because they are recorded at 60i, a format that does not load well in Premiere Elements.

I could find no specs on a camcorder called the Sony HDR-Z5U though, so it's hard to say.

As Neale indicates, it's beginning to sound like you're going to have to do some sort of conversion before you use any of your client's footage in Premiere Elements.

This would not be an issue, of course, if you were using the Pro version of Premiere Elements (CS4 or CS5), which handles a wider range of video formats.

Premiere Elements is a consumer program, and its biggest weakness is that it handles only a limited number of consumer formats.

• 12. Re: I need help with export settings
                                josejb70 Level 1

Hi Steve,

Yes, I agree with you. I'm gonna have to convert... I searched for the camera's specs and realized that the videographer made a typo. Here's a link to Sony's website with the specs:

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/product-HVRZ5U/

I'm gonna consider upgrading to CS5 Premium when I move from CS4 and go to the Premier. I have a friend who has Premier CS4. I'm gonna fiddle with it and see how I do with it. It's just that for my needs (the occasional corporate video) PE is so easy to use.

BTW, we go live with this video tomorrow. I'll update this post tomorrow with a YouTube link so you guys can see the final product!

Best,

Jose

• 13. Re: I need help with export settings
                                  josejb70 Level 1

Hi Steve, Neale,

I wanted to follow-up on this post. I came into the office today to run a few tests so I can make sure that I have the correct settings on my camera and PE project for the next time around. Here are few observations I was wondering if you can comment on:

• My Sony camera cannot shoot HDV. The only format it supports is AVCHD, so I'm stuck converting.
                                  • I tried to convert the footage I have to HDV with the software I have (AVS Video Converter and Koyote Soft HD Converter) and neither of the two have an "HDV" conversion setting. I see AVI, MPEG, MOV and many different settings in each (AVI: Hd Video 1080p: H.264AVC, 29.97fps, 4200kbps, Audio MP3, 256 kbps or MPEG: HD Video 1080p - MPEG2, 15000 kbps, 1920X1080, 29.97fps, etc). What should I be looking for?
                                  • I searched for "best file format" in the forum and found various postings from both of you referring to converting to DV-AVI within PE; especially if you have AVCHD footage (which I have). So, I followed directions and converted a file for testing. Then, I created a new project using HDV 1080i 30 settings and imported the converted file. I still get a red line on the timeline. Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?
                                  • I also converted the MOV files (shot in HDV 60i with the pro camera) to DV-AVI. I also get a red line on the timeline...
                                  • The DV-AVI converted footage (both cases) doesn't appear to be HD. It looks jagged on the preview window. Is it HD?
                                  • The DV-AVI converted footage is almost double the file size as the MTS (AVCHAD) file (138mb vs. 60mb). Isn't that going to make PE run slower?

Thanks in advance for your help. I just wanna make sure I do my homework now so I set everything up correctly on the next project.

Jose

P.S. I almost forgot! Here's the link to the live video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEkqPmefJV0

Message was edited by: josejb70 - Added YouTube link

• 14. Re: I need help with export settings
                                    nealeh Level 5

The HDV presets in PRE cover the two HDV resolutions: 720p (= 1280 x 720) and 1080i (= 1440 x 1080). They are encoded with MPEG-2 for Video and MPEG-1 Layer 2 for Audio. So you should be looking for those options in your conversion software.

DV-AVI is 720 x 480 (NTSC), 720 x 576 (PAL),  so NOT HD. When you have down-converted them it is not surprising that quality suffers. DV-AVI runs at about 10GB+ per hour of video.

The redline may be because you produce 1080p footage. While 1080i in the HDV spec includes (confusingly) both progressive and interlaced - this exceeds the HDV setting in PRE of 1080 interlaced. In the Edit panel select the Project view, right-click the video clip and select 'Interpret Footage'. If you still have a redline press [ENTER] to render your previews.

Does any of this help?

Cheers,
                                    --
                                    Neale