12 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2010 9:51 AM by JossMann

Dreamweaver CS5 Code Theme

cchiera Level 1

In Dreamweaver CS4, one is unable to change the default font of the code editor and unable to set the background color to be transparent, which are common features for Espresso and Coda. Both apps which cost less than $100.

Will CS5 be offering those two features as well as a dark theme option?

Thanks!

Cheers,

Christopher

• 1. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 Code Theme
          pziecina Level 6

Hi

Correct me if I am getting your question wrong and you did not mean the css background-color property -

unable to set the background color to be transparent

You where always able to set the background-color css property to transparent just by typing the work transparent.

PZ

• 2. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 Code Theme
            cchiera Level 1

No. When I try to edit the background color of the code editor in preferences it only allows me to set a solid color such as #fff or #000. Their is no option to make it say 80% transparent, such as you can in Espresso, or the Terminal on a Mac. Also their is no option that I can see to change the default font used. So my questions are have these been corrected in DW5. Thanks!

Cheers,

Christopher

• 3. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 Code Theme
              pziecina Level 6

Hi

You set the background colour by actually typing in the word "transparent" (I do agree having this option automatically inserted would be an improvement), and set the opacity using the css opacity property or the ms opacity filter.

Word of warning if you or any program misses off the leading 0 as in opacity: .5; then IE9 will ignore the value, (when released) as it must be opacity: 0.5;

this also applies to any other value - e.g font-size: .9em; will be ignored so must be font-size: 0.9em;

PZ

www.pziecina.com

• 4. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 Code Theme
                cchiera Level 1

No, you are not understanding. I'll be more explicit.

1. Open Dreamweaver
                2. Select Dreamweaver > Preferences
                3. Select Code Coloring
                4. Next to Default Background try typing in transparent as you suggested

You will get an error. It currently only allows solid colors, unlike in other editors as mentioned or in the Terminal on the Mac for instance.

My question was not is this possible in CS4 or how to do it, rather it is not possible and simply wondering if it will finally be supported in DW5 as well as changing the Default font family and size. In Espresso for instance you use a css file to set the values for the code coloring and you simply set a background: color value in rgba. As you would in CSS for a website that supports it. The comment about it not working in a particular browser is irrevalant as noted in my subject these questions are simply about the code editor theme in DW.

Thanks. Hopefully an Adobe Staff member will have more light on the matter.

Cheers,

Christopher

• 5. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 Code Theme
                  pziecina Level 6

Hi

You can do all these in cs4.

Background color - select the transparent symbol.

Font for use in code view - select fonts then the font and size you wish to use.

PZ

• 6. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 Code Theme
                    cchiera Level 1

Sigh. I do appreciate your eagerness to help but seeing as you don't understand the question please do not worry about it and let someone else who does add their advice.

If you click on "Code" which opens up the Code Editor there are no options to change the background color or font used for the code editor. The only options to have to change are via the instructions in the previous post under preferences, did you read those?

Once again, I am talking about the Code Editor, not Design View which replicates a browser where you can set any color font you choose for what a website will look like. Talking about the Dreamweaver Code Theme. But thanks again for your eagerness. This is not possible in CS4 or any previous version, once again that was never the question, the question is will they allow it in CS5, but since you do not know clearly, do not worry about responding, unless you do.

Thank you.

Cheers,

Christopher

• 7. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 Code Theme
                      frelax85

What do you use it for?

• 8. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 Code Theme
                        cchiera Level 1

I use to the Code Editor for creating and editing code. For serious coders who spend 8 hours a day in an editor, a default stark white background and anemic color scheme, and user use to the elegant design of a Mac requires more.

Normally, I use more modern editors such as Coda or Espresso as mentioned which do all of this easily, but now that DW is gaining CMS support I simply cannot ignore DW as a tool even though the program itself is very bloated.

However, these forum questions always seem to end up being responded by confused users where the original poster must spend a great deal of time clarifying for a user who ultimately says, oh I see, and has no valuable information, or people who do not know the answer so instead ask why someone would want a feature or persuade lesser ways of doing something. Such conversations are fine, but this is simply a question directed to Adobe or someone who has gotten their hands on DW5 which is starting to pop up online through different avenues, who knows whether these features that are supported in editors on 100 will be available in this highly priced new version.

Thank you.

Cheers,

Christopher

• 9. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 Code Theme
                          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Start here http://www.adobe.com/support/documentation/ and select Dreamweaver

There is a link on the "online help" page to download the Dreamweaver CS5 user guide as a PDF

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 Code Theme
                            cchiera Level 1

Perfect, thank you. I will check out the documentation to see if I can find answers to the above questions.

For others the direct link to the CS5 Documentation is a bit hidden is:

help.adobe.com/en_US/Dreamweaver/CS5/Using/index.html

• 11. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 Code Theme
                              cchiera Level 1

After looking at the above documentation, sadly the answer to all my questions are no. DW5 offers no improvements to styling the editor such as transparent background, or different font size or font family. I suppose we will need to start counting down to DW6.

• 12. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 Code Theme
                                JossMann

Hey, I did understand what you were asking... You can't set the colour to transparent, but you can change the colour of almost anything you code. As for the font you can actually change the font used in code view (at least in the Windows version). You'll find it in Preferences -> Fonts and then just change the font size and family in code view.