3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2010 11:17 AM by William H C Lambton

Issues deleting the AcroIEHelper.dll, AcroIEHelperShim.dll, AcroPDF.dll and pdfshell.dll files?

William H C Lambton Level 1

These, on my computer, are located at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX, but are installed with Adobe Reader (I am not running Acrobat as a separate entity). They, as far as I can see, hook up with Internet Explorer, to help open PDF files on the web.

I am running XP Home, Service Pack 3.

I needed temporarily to uninstal all Adobe products, carried out a thorough job, but could not delete the four files listed in the heading. This page, from Adobe, suggested a means: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/327/327675.html. No good! Only the second and the fourth listed (above, in heading) responded to the unregistration treatment suggested, that is via DOS, and, even then, still would not let themselves be removed from their folder.

Opening AcroIEHelper.dll as text reveals a prominent statement to the effect that 'this file does not respond in DOS mode', or words to that effect - it's near the top, plainly visible amongst the code.

Disabling/deleting anything bearing the name Adobe whether as an add-on (in IE8) or as a process (I use Process Explorer and Autorun, both from Systinternals) had no effect; even removing the handle of the first file connecting it with Windows Explorer did nothing useful.

I had read in a blog of a failed attempt to use Safe Mode, so only entered Safe Mode as a last ditch measure. Therein, the files still refused to be deleted. However, I then clicked Properties on the first, then Security and noted permissions were only partial. So, I ticked, I think, the box opposite 'Full' (it should be fairly obvious what to tick - I am not going back there, right now, to look again!!). That caused several other boxes to self-tick themselves. I then clicked, I think, Apply (and possibly after that OK). That done, the file obediently allowed itself to be removed, at long last. I repeated the exercise, successfully, for the other three, went back to Normal Mode and then in the Recycled Bin bleached out the files completely, using a shredder. Done!

Please note that the job to be done in Safe Mode, once you've opened the Properties/Security dialogue, is as stated fairly obvious - just a simple tick of a box, basically. Unless you are trained in this area (I am not), avoid going any further than that. If the box I have mentioned isn't there or fails to respond, please do not make other alterations elsewhere in this area on my account!!

If Adobe are reading this, they may care to update the Knowledge Base article above.

Once I had finished removing all traces of Adobe from this machine, I then reinstalled Reader and Flash and have had no issues to date (the original issue was the failure of a Reader update).

I may post a more accurate description of the process in Safe Mode, shortly, in this thread.