3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2007 6:26 AM by donnapep

Integrating with .NET web app.

donnapep
      Hi,

I know very little about Robohelp, but I am being asked to integrate the new help system with our .NET web application. From what I've read, it sounds like WebHelp is the choice for most people. However, I am looking for an alternative to this, preferably one where I can just call up the appropriate page via a URL, passing parameters as necessary. I'm not even sure what type of help system it is. It looks like a bunch of html files. I was also given a .bas file which seems to contain mapping information. What do I do with this? All I want to do is go to the appropriate help page when a user clicks on the help link on one of our web pages.

Thanks for any and all replies.
        • 1. Re: Integrating with .NET web app.
          RoboColum(n) Level 5
          Hi donnapep. It sounds like you need to take a look at thi link provided by my friend Peter Grainge. The article presumes you are using webhelp as your output but this is the direction you should be going in any case. Have a read and post back with any specific questions you may still have.
          • 2. Re: Integrating with .NET web app.
            donnapep Level 1
            Thanks for your response.

I looked at how the JavaScript function RH_ShowHelp() is implemented, and it looks like a URL with the following format is what I need to use: http://mydomainname.com/?ctxid=104&cmd=newwnd&rtype=iefrm

However, no matter what I change the value of the 'ctxid' parameter to, the page that shows is always the starting page. I'm pretty sure that the map ID is valid, as the help author provided me with a list. Could this indicate that the output is not Webhelp? Or could something else be the cause?

Thx.
            • 3. Re: Integrating with .NET web app.
              donnapep Level 1
              Hello,

I have a new problem. I am now using the RH_ShowHelp directly to open help. However, I am receiving the following error: "Can't move focus to the control because it is invisible..." The error is occuring in whthost.js. I uncommented the line that was causing the problem. When I compiled it, I received a whole bunch of errors about variables not being declared. Why would there be compilation errors in the original file? More importantly, how do I get rid of them? Also, do I need to compile to an exe or a dll?

Thx.