11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2010 2:42 PM by the_wine_snob

Sager Laptop Specs

R-Cole Level 1

After months of research I am about to purchase a Sager NP8760 for use in the field with CS4's Premiere Pro, On Location, After Effects and Encore plus dumping P2 content via express card adapter. Can someone help with a few of the options that I am not clear on?

Here are the specs for now. i7 720 QM, IC Diamond Thermal Compound, nVidia GTX 285M, 8GB 192MB DDR3 1333MHz RAM , 2x 500GB 7200 RPM internal HDDs, Raid settings off, Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.

I am not sure about a few things. 1st what is the best RAID option for performance? I don't want to go Raid 1 Mirrored since I will be backing up through ESATA to another drive. Do I leave it as RAID OFF or go with RAID 0 Striped?

Next, which is the best choice between the 1066Mhz RAM and the 1333MHz RAM?

Lastly, is Windows 7 Professional enough or do I need ultimate?

Thanks for any input.

Cole

• 1. Re: Sager Laptop Specs
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Do not raid your disks. It is usually a bad idea to raid your OS drive in a raid0.

The performance difference between 1066 and 1333 memory will be negligent, unless you overclock your system. The i7-720M runs standard at 1066, so 1333 memory only makes sense if you overclock the system, reducing battery life. There is no need for overclocking while using OL.

Win7 64 Pro would be my suggestion. Unless you need bitlocker capabilities, Ultimate is too bloated.

• 2. Re: Sager Laptop Specs
            R-Cole Level 1

Thanks for the quick and helpful reply.

Will I benefit from overclocking if I am using Premiere or Encore? If so should I go with the 1333 MHz RAM if the price is the same? Is there a drawback to not going with 1066MHz?

This Sager seems like it will be pretty sweet. I almost went with ASUS but couldn't configure an i7 system with 2 internal hard drives and firewire and Esata. There was always something missing. Thanks again.

Cole

• 3. Re: Sager Laptop Specs
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Cole,

I agree with Harm. If you do not RAID your HDD's, you should be able to get 3x physical HDD's in the Sager, like I have in my older one. I feel that you will get more benefit from that, than from a RAID.

Now, my unit is almost 4 years old, so its specs. now pale (noticed that the prices have come down too!), but it has proved to be an excellent laptop (well, it's kinda large with a 17" monitor, and hot for actually running it on one's lap). The battery life, with all those HDD's, etc., is not great, but I run off of my AC/DC mains all of the time, and never worry much about that.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Sager Laptop Specs
                R-Cole Level 1

Hey Hunt, I was hoping you would chime in since it is your high recommendations of Sager that led me to them to begin with. From what I could tell going through XoticPC that 2 was the max for internal HDDs. I do plan to run e-sata for a thrid with the larger projects though.

From Harms response it seems there is no down side for choosing the 1333 MHz RAM, especially if they are the same price. I may never need to overclock but if I do I can with the 1333 MHz. If I go with the 1066Mhz I don't have the option. Is that correct?

Thanks again to both of you for the prompt responses!

Cole

• 5. Re: Sager Laptop Specs
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Cole,

Most notebooks are pretty hard to overclock if not impossible, but maybe Sager is different. Bill may chime in on that.

If the price of 1066 and 1333 memory is the same (or nearly) I would opt for the 1333 version, because chances are that the faster version will have lower CAS latencies when run at a lower speed (1066). It never hurts to have faster memory and is the price is nearly equal, there is no loss, only possible gains from better timings.

Overclocking will help with rendering and encoding, but if it is possible, I really don't know. Bill, help us out here...

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Sager Laptop Specs
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    Most notebooks are pretty hard to overclock if not impossible, but maybe Sager is different. Bill may chime in on that.

I've not done any OC for decades. However, if a laptop could be OC'ed, I'd guess that it would be the Sager, considering their target audience - the extreme gamers.

Cole,

I'm not up on the current model numbers, but when I was last on their site for another thread, I spec'ed. out a 3x HDD unit. Seems that they were 500GB SATA II's. Mine are 250GB SATA II's, as that was as large as one could get back then.

I'll see what the model number was, as will report.

I did not look at any RAID, when I did my "shopping," and just went down the list, checking boxes. The total brought a tear to my eye, as it was about US$ 400 less, than what I paid.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Sager Laptop Specs
                      R-Cole Level 1

Thanks to you both.

I started with a budget of about $1200 and it climbed up from there pretty quick. In the end it will cost about $2300 shipped. Not bad considering this will run circles around my desktop. I will report back once I get it and put it through its paces.

• 8. Re: Sager Laptop Specs
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

That would be great. If you have your new Sager up and running, I would appreciate it if you would run the http://ppbm4.com benchmark and report the results to Bill as instructed and to me by PM. It would enhance the data base, give you an idea of where your system stands in comparison to other systems and satisfy my curiosity.

• 9. Re: Sager Laptop Specs
                          Mark Morreau Adobe Community Professional

How quiet are these Sager laptops?

I had a Clevo 900 ( I think, P4HT CPU, 2 x HDD, 17" screen) and it was very noisy indeed.

Currently I'm using a 17" MBP bootcamped, and that's very cool and quiet, but now looking to upgrade to something Mercury-able.

Cheers

Mark

• 10. Re: Sager Laptop Specs
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Mark,

Mine is very quite. I run it on a Zalman dual-fan aluminum cooling pad, and the Zalman is far more noisy, than the Sager.

Hunt

• 11. Re: Sager Laptop Specs
                              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

My Sager 8790 (Clevo 870) is very noisy when all the fans kick in. When only one fan is running, it's almost not awful.  Maybe they've gotten cooler and quieter since 2004.

-Jeff