24 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2010 10:58 AM by kentfromtx

Premiere Pro 7.0 dropping random frames from original video

kentfromtx Level 1

Here is one of many problems I am running into. When I import original video into Adobe Premiere Pro 7.0 it always leaves out a few frames in random spots scattered throughout a clip (I'm guessing this is what is referred to as dropped frames).

I first noticed this when I went to sync the audio mp3 files, which are imported seperatly, to the video clips and found that the audio clips are a few frames longer; and the audio/video don't match up.

I was hoping someone could shine some light onto why this is happening and what can be done to remedy it. I've fiddled around with differnt settings when loading a new project with no success.

I am importing the origina video from a folder on my desktop. It is MPEG-2 format and came from my Sony Handycam DCR SR45 camcorder. Below are the properties for the video according to a video player on my computer.

Video:

MPEG-2 Video

720x480 (16:9)

29.97fps 9100Kbps

Audio:

Dolby AC3 48000Hz stereo 256Kbps (this audio doesn't show up with imported video files which is why I import seperate mp3 audio)

P.S.

I've recently been told that MPEG-2 files are not ideal for video editing. I've also been told that Premiere Pro doesn't recognize AC3 audio, which is why I am importing the audio seperatly as mp3 files that I have created in another program. Also I've been told that the camcorder I use is not ideal for editing purposes.

So, if anyone sees any reasons to disagree or concur with these statements, please let me know. But, as for right now, I currently have existing video from this camcorder that I MUST make work in Adobe Premiere Pro, so please help me work with what I got. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro 7.0 dropping random frames from original video
          Harm Millaard Level 7

MP3 is a lousy format to edit, PCM/WAV is far better. 7.0 did that come out before the turn of the century or right after? It is really old software. Is your PC as old? Maybe time to do some upgrading.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Premiere Pro 7.0 dropping random frames from original video
            kentfromtx Level 1

You make a good point, but  for now its all i got.  And as far as the mp3 goes, I apprecieate the info take that into consideration.  But currently the audio is not a main concern of mine, i can change that fairly easy.  I just want my entire video to import without any frames missing.

P.S.

Is the mp3 issue tha big of deal if no effects are going to be made to audio other than cutting and splitting?

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro 7.0 dropping random frames from original video
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with most of those last statements, but do not know what camera you are using, so cannot comment.

MPEG-2 footage is delivery footage, that is compressed and in a GOP structure. For frame-accurate editing, that footage must be converted into I-frame. My guess is that this process is causing you to loose frames.

I would convert outside of PrPro, and would just set the conversion program to DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio - done.

I agree with Harm, that MP3 is a lousy format for Audio. By using the workflow above, you will likely kill two birds with that one stone - the conversion.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I use a shareware converter, DigitalMedia Converter, but a freeware program, Prism, gets high marks. I've never used it hower.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Premiere Pro 7.0 dropping random frames from original video
                kentfromtx Level 1

Thanks Bill, I feel like I'm making a lot of progress.

I took your advice in converting to  DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio.  I first tried Prism, as you mentioned, but the many different settings seemed overwhelming, and the defaults seem to all be what I guess is British settings. Anyway, I'm sure i could have made it work if i were more knowledgeable, but i just downloaded Digital Media Converter instead.

This seems to be a great program and it didn't take me long at all to test a file by converting it to the output you recomended.  When I tried to play the converted file, all I got was a black screen and no sound (using windows media player).

I am trying again but this time I checked a box that says "De-interlace video to improve the quality of interlaced videos"

I will let you know how it works out, but was wondering if you had any tricks or tips that may solve this problem?

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro 7.0 dropping random frames from original video
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Please keep us posted on how the conversion goes. I do not have the updated version of DMC yet, but in my older version, the settings are pretty straightforward. In Settings, I choose AVI and in Properties, choose 720 x 480, verify my Frame Rate, choose Best Quality, and DV Video Encoder. Audio is Uncompressed and 48KHz. I set my destination and file name, and hit Convert.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro 7.0 dropping random frames from original video
                    kentfromtx Level 1

Bill,

Thanks for your continous help, it means a alot.

I think the menu may be slightly different now based on how you say you get your settings, but I have succeeded in setting it to your original recomended format.

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

I would convert outside of PrPro, and would just set the conversion program to DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio - done.

I choose DV-AVI from a drop-down list and select Type II with the above mentioned settings. It says it converts successfully, however when played with windows media player, there is no video or sound. Just a black screen.

There is aslo an option for AVI (as opposed to DV-AVI) on the drop down list. There is a setting where you can change the Video Compressor with various options. I have been able to convert to AVI, but not DV-AVI, however when I watch on my computer parts of it look strange. Its hard to descrbe, but on parts of my video where there is movement, there seems to be many little lines that appear with the motion.

Other than that, at this point this seems to be the best quality video I have came up with.

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro 7.0 dropping random frames from original video
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

The DV-AVI is what you want. AVI is but a wrapper, and as you saw from that Compressor (CODEC) drop-down list, can contain all sorts of "stuff."

Now, lets go to the DV-AVI conversion, that only show black in WMP.

First test, download and install one the free players, VLC, or MediaPlayer Classic HC. Test your file in one of those.

Second, if you do not have the great, free utility, G-SPOT, get it. Open that converted DV-AVI file in it, and let us know what it says about it. A screen-cap of G-Spot will be very useful.

In G-Spot, look at the lower-left and you'll see a little matrix of squares, with numbers in them, in probably 3 columns, Vid Aud and MS A/V. In the Vid column, choose button #1. Look for any messages in the field to the right. Then, you should have #2 active. Press it, and check for messages. If all is well, or nearly so, #3 should now be clickable. Click on that, and see if the Rendered Video plays in G-Spot's little player window. Is all OK there?

Not coming up with any other ideas right now, but will post, should I think of something.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro 7.0 dropping random frames from original video
                        kentfromtx Level 1

I followed your instructions Bill.

First I tried playing in Media Player Clasic HC, as you suggested. Got same results as media player - black video, no sound.

Then I opened it up in G-spot. (I will try to get you a screen shot, but I'm not sure how to paste it into this forum right now.)

I followed your instructions on clicking the 1, 2, and 3. When it played in G-spot, it was same as in Media Player, just a black screen.

I think I mentioned earlier that there was no audio also.  Either I was mistaken or I have something has changed because no there is audio, but still no video.

I will post again shortly with a screen shot of G-spot.

Is it possible my computer is missing something that doesn't allow for DV-AVI to play?

I feel like I'm right on the brink of solving this headache and I truly appreciate your continous efforts. Thanks

• 9. Re: Premiere Pro 7.0 dropping random frames from original video
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

G-Spot will tell us if something is missing. Considering that we're talking about the MS DV CODEC, which is installed as part of the OS, that would be a bit odd. Do other DV-AVI's play fine? As for the screen-caps, this ARTICLE will tell you how.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - also please post a screen-cap from G-Spot with the original MPEG-2 file in it.

• 10. Re: Premiere Pro 7.0 dropping random frames from original video
                            kentfromtx Level 1

Here is a screen shot of when i first opened my file.

Gpot1.gif

• 11. Re: Premiere Pro 7.0 dropping random frames from original video
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

The only thing that I see wrong with that DV-AVI file is that the Audio is 44.1KHz, and it should be 48KHz, but all else looks fine, and CODEC's are installed on your machine, so that is not the issue. The Audio is not an issue with the playback of the Video, and PrPro can work with the 44.1KHz. Just for next time, bump that up to 48KHz.

OK, let's now step back and look at the source MPEG-2 file - the one that was converted to this DV-AVI. There has to be something prior to the DV-AVI, that is causing an issue.

Do you have the capabilities to upload both the MPEG-2 and the DV-AVI to a Web site, as I'd like to download and experiment with them?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Premiere Pro 7.0 dropping random frames from original video
                                kentfromtx Level 1

These are a series of screenshots taken after each step that you mentioned. The last image shows the black video played about half way throgh. If you need any help reading any parts of the image let me know.

Gpot2.gifGpot3.gifGpot4.gif

• 13. Re: Premiere Pro 7.0 dropping random frames from original video
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Screen-caps look like they should, other than the black video aspect.

Let us know more about the MPEG-2 file - the source file.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Premiere Pro 7.0 dropping random frames from original video
                                    kentfromtx Level 1

That would be awesome.  I have a Dropbox where i can upload files to.  I haven't messed with it much but I think there's a way I can set you up a folder.

I'll get back to you. Thanks.

• 15. Re: Premiere Pro 7.0 dropping random frames from original video
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Just let me know where to go and any details. I can be reached either by PM, or by e-mail at info AT huntphoto DOT com. Obviously, AT = @ and DOT = .

I'll be glad to examine the files, and will also do a conversion of the MPEG-2, to see what I can come up with.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Premiere Pro 7.0 dropping random frames from original video
                                        kentfromtx Level 1

I have began uploading 2 vidoes to the DropBox.

One is the original that came from my camcorder, the other is the attempted converted DV AVI.

The footage is a clip of a turkey hunt i filmed for a friend where a turkey is shot at and missed. The video is not that great but I still need it and other similar clips.

I'm not sure if your familar with Dropbox or not.  We mainly use it for PDF's from architects and Contractors, but I am trying it for video for the first time.  Here is what it states for sharing files publicly:

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

The Public Folder lets you easily share single files in your Dropbox.  Any file you put in this folder gets its own Internet link so that you can share it with others-- even non-Dropbox users!  These links work even if your computer’s turned off. 

Step 1:  Drop a file into the Public folder.

Step 2: Right-click/control-click this file, then choose Dropbox > Copy Public Link. This copies the Internet link to your file so that you can paste it somewhere else.

That's it!  You can now share this file with others: just paste the link into e-mails, instant message conversations, blogs, etc.!

If you'd like more help with sharing files, head here: http://www.getdropbox.com/help/16

Happy Dropboxing!

- The Dropbox Team

Note: You can only link to actual files within your Public Folder, not to folders.

I guess I will try to paste these links now even though they are still uploading.  I will re-paste them later when the upload is complete.

Original Video - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5773253/Tom%20Turkey%20-%20Original%20MPEG2.MPG

DV AVI - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5773253/Tom%20Turkey%20-%20Converted%20DV%20AVI.avi

Anyone else who want's to play around with these videos have at it.

I'm glad I found this forum. Thanks for helpin'

• 17. Re: Premiere Pro 7.0 dropping random frames from original video
                                          kentfromtx Level 1

The above links didn't seem to work because there were spaces in the file names.  These should work:

Original Video in MPEG-2: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5773253/TomTurkey-Original-MPEG2.MPG

Converted DV AVI: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5773253/TomTurkey-Converted-DV-AVI.avi

• 18. Re: Premiere Pro 7.0 dropping random frames from original video
                                            Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Pr imports both files.  The MPG Program Stream plays and edits well.  The DV AVI file has black video.  Since NTSC DV is 29.97 fps, and since the converter smurfed the frame rate to 30.00 fps, I suspect that the converter smurfed the image data as well.

-Jeff

• 19. Re: Premiere Pro 7.0 dropping random frames from original video
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

I downloaded the files, and got the same result as Jeff. The MPEG worked fine, but the AVI did not. I then ran the MPEG through DMC 2.7, keeping the Frame Rate at 29.97 and the resulting DV-AVI played perfectly. I am uploading it to YouSendIt, and will get the URL here to download and try.

Back in a few minutes,

Hunt

• 20. Re: Premiere Pro 7.0 dropping random frames from original video
                                                kentfromtx Level 1

Thanks guys.

Bill, out of curiosity, could you see any reduction in video quality from the original to your converted DV-AVI. As you propably saw, the original video quality was already below par and I'm hoping it doesn't get any worse.

I know I can't be picky at this point and and thankful for anything i can use.

P.S.

On my version of DMC (3.08) I can't see where its possible to alter any settings for DV-AVI other that Type 1 or Type 2 and NTSC or PAL.

The frame rate is fixed on 30 fps unless I choose PAL, which is locked on 25 fps.

• 21. Re: Premiere Pro 7.0 dropping random frames from original video
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is the URL for YouSendIt:  http://rcpt.yousendit.com/855039085/6962d09e9bc99daa01ea4da3275683fd

Looking at both files on my 17" laptop, the files looked identical.

As far as the FPS, in DMC 2.7, I have the ability to Accept Frame Rate, or to set it to several different rates. This second option becomes available, if I check the radio button for Change Frame Rate.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 22. Re: Premiere Pro 7.0 dropping random frames from original video
                                                    kentfromtx Level 1

thanks, I'll check it out.

Here are some screenshots of the only possible screens to adjust settings on DMC for DV-AVI.  Is there something i'm missing or have they taken this option away in the newer version?

ss1.gif

Then, after clicking Configure:

ss2.gif

• 23. Re: Premiere Pro 7.0 dropping random frames from original video
                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Interesting.

Seems that things have changed, from version 2.7. I have been planning on upgrading to the latest Pro version, but have not done so yet.

Predicated on the results that you have gotten, I see that I need to investigate the newer versions more closely, and will also refrain from making the rec., as I am not sure that the new versions are adequate for the job. That would be too bad, IMHO, as DMC has worked almost perfectly for me, for years, and through several versions. I think that I started on version 1.5.

Sorry that DMC is not working better for you. I will get my upgrades, install and explore the changes there. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 24. Re: Premiere Pro 7.0 dropping random frames from original video
                                                        kentfromtx Level 1

Well, I really appreciate all the help.  I think I now know what I need to do, which is covnert my files to DV-AVI. I just need to find a way to do it, which I think I can figure out after looking around.

If there is anything else you've got to add, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise thanks for the help to all that replied.