19 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2010 7:30 PM by the_wine_snob

dv avi lossy

kirm99 Level 1

Hi ~

I have footage shot on DV that's been used in a project built in Premiere Pro CS4.

The problem is my system is crashing and not letting me export to tape, and I'm under the gun to get it done. it says "system low on memory", even though I shouldn't be - and virtual memory is on a drive with 100 gig of space and it's set to "let computer manage" the virtual memory size.

I've "rendered all effects in the workspace" and the timeline shows a green line.

Maybe my RAM is failing?

So anyway, I'm thinking if the processing of the timeline is too intensive and triggering the crash, maybe I can export the timeline to dv avi output, then play that back on a timeline to tape.. so all it has to do is play - no dizzolves or effects.

THE QUESTION IS: will laying off the timeline as dv avi degrade the video (noticably?)

Thanks for your help.

When this is over, I'm going to test the RAM with a software program to see if it's failing or faultering....

• 1. Re: dv avi lossy
          kirm99 Level 1

Another idea - maybe I could import the PPro timelines into

AE and export from there? (or maybe one can't export from AE to tape? I never had to do it?)

• 2. Re: dv avi lossy
            the_wine_snob Level 9

DV-AVI will be fine. Uncheck Recompress.

Good luck,

Hunt

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Corrected typo

• 3. Re: dv avi lossy
              the_wine_snob Level 9

In the meantime, this ARTICLE might be helpful in getting the most out of your computer.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: dv avi lossy
                kirm99 Level 1

Thanks, Hunt ~

• 5. Re: dv avi lossy
                  kirm99 Level 1

Just wanted to say thanks again - this forum is a life-saver! I was able to export my timelines as DV Avi files, then reimport them into a blank timeline and export to tape.

Now I just need to figure out why my computer keeps saying "low system memory".

I ran "memcheck86" and it didn't find any memory problems.

And I normally only have about 20 processes running, and I looked them all up and only one was not needed - a program update reminder.

Maybe my processor chip is failing?

Any recommendations for other software programs that I can download to test various aspects of my machine?

Thanks!

• 6. Re: dv avi lossy
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Low on memory is sometimes caused by a lack of space on the C drive, where temp files are stored by default.

Memtest86+ is much better than Memtest. Just let it run for a couple of hours.

• 7. Re: dv avi lossy
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Low "memory," or "resources" can be RAM, or can be Windows Virtual Memory. Often, there are other programs, or Processes running, that are robbing you of what you have.

This ARTICLE might give you some tips on getting the most out of your computer.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: dv avi lossy
                        kirm99 Level 1

I ran Memtest86+ for 9 hours - no problems. 90 gig of space on C drive. 49 processes, but aside from those associated with Premiere, the rest are only using a few Meg each.

I did notice that the Commit Charge keeps climbing - but the CPU usage is only 25%.

Still I get the freezes and crashes - and "your system is running low on memory. Please save your project and proceed with caution"

If I restart the computer, it works better for a few minutes, then problems.

My project is for a 30 minute program, with mixed HDV and DV - outputting as standard DV.

The majority of segments were built and exported from AE as DV-AVI files, then imported into PProCS4.

I reinstalled the entire CS4 production suite last week - and ran the latest updates for PPro and AME - didn't seem to help.

any more tips on what I can check? any other software programs I can download to test things?

Thank you!

• 9. Re: dv avi lossy
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

You likely still have programs, or Processes, that are stealing your resources. If things work well on a reboot, but then go downhill, the trick will be to find what is robbing you of resources and eliminate that/those.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: dv avi lossy
                            Fred Mann Level 1

Check your processor, and video card temperature with a program like SpeedFan (freeware).  I once had a problem like yours, and found the cooling ribs on the uP were plugged up with dust.

Fred

• 11. Re: dv avi lossy
                              kirm99 Level 1

Hunt - even when it's running sluggishly, there doesn't seem to be any processes that are using a lot of resources. 25% is about the max for everything total.

fred - I downloaded speedfan, but changing the fan speeds - or setting it to "automatic" doesn't seem to actually change anything (?)    I have a lot of "flame icons", but in the help.txt file, it says that doesn't really mean it's too hot, but that he set the warnings below what they should be (?)   I don't know if it's just me, but it doesn't seem to make sense.

any other software tests I can download?

thanks a lot ! ~

• 12. Re: dv avi lossy
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Care to post a screenshot from Speedfan? While you are at it, also post a screenshot from HWMonitor, CPU-Z and Process Explorer.

• 13. Re: dv avi lossy
                                  kirm99 Level 1

i was wrong - CPU usage varies from 10% to 80% as it's processing.

I just set up a section of PPro timeline to render - and it started with the above CPU usages, then as I watched, after about a minute, CPU usage dropped to 3 -4 %...and the program had hung up.

I'll post those screen shots - thanks

• 14. Re: dv avi lossy
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Please do. I think that something that seems benign is jumping in and taking too many of your resources. Harm has given you a list of good utilities to track this down.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: dv avi lossy
                                      kirm99 Level 1

Here are the screen shots. I don't know what HWmonitor is (?)

CPU-Z.gifprocesses.gifspeedfan.gif

• 16. Re: dv avi lossy
                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Kirk,

For a  moment I was worried when you said Speedfan gave you the burning flames icons, but your temperatures are OK. You can change the temperature when the icon will show this, in the configuration.

HWMonitor is another utility that will show fan speeds and temeratures, but also voltages on various rails. You need not bother. Your screenshots gave sufficient info.

Of the processes running here is a list of the ones that I am not familiar with and that may not be needed:

Freeagent

WDBTNMgr

CTXFHLP

DLACTRLW / DLLM

Stxmenumgr

stxFISPI

WheelsofVolume

CTDVDDET

DVDLauncher

VivaldiFramework

All processes that run can potentially steal CPU cycles that lower the PR performance, so check whether these are needed.

My guess is that you use AVG virus protection. If this is correct, suspend it while editing.

Hope one of these will help.

1 person found this helpful
                                        • 17. Re: dv avi lossy
                                          kirm99 Level 1

Thanks for the leads - I will check those processes out.

I don't have any virus protection on that computer - use it only to edit - not hooked to internet. However I do transfer graphics to it from a computer that is attached to the internet.

Might I have a virus or worm that's draining resources? Maybe I should install an anti-virus and keep it off most of the time?

• 18. Re: dv avi lossy
                                            kirm99 Level 1

I was able to eliminate 4 of those processes - 2 were for an old Seagate external drive that died over a year ago - so thanks again !

• 19. Re: dv avi lossy
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Each of my editing machines sees some Internet, though it is highly limited on the workstation. I use Norton AV on both, but with the tips in this ARTICLE, eliminate it, plus others, when editing. Takes a few clicks, and but a moment, but has proved worthwhile for me. Now, during editing, I just go to another computer, should I require any Internet presence, as I would be vulnerable, even behind hardware firewalls.

Even though the workstation is seldom on the Internet, it is hooked to the laptop, that does multiple duties, so I run scans of it too - just in case.

Good luck,

Hunt