10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2010 1:51 AM by luvtype

How do I access my raw settings for further use?

luvtype

I opened a jpg in CR, made some changes, opened the image, then saved (from within PS) and closed it.

Later I needed to create a duplicate of this image and apply the same CR settings I'd used, but I can't find them. When I open the original jpg, all of the CR settings are set to zero.

Is there any way I can access the CR settings I entered? I want to see what they are, not delete them, not get back to the pre-CR-edit stage.

If this is not possible, what could I have done otherwise to retain access to my CR settings? Should I have saved the image from within CR? If so, how would the CR settings be availalbe for tweaking or copying?

Is there an automatic xmp file that would have this info, and if yes, where would i find it?

Finally, how do I save CR settings in the future for subsequent access?

Many thanks!

• 1. Re: How do I access my raw settings for further use?
          luvtype Level 1

Let me clarify: I need to create another jpg image with duplicate CR settings, not a duplicate of the first jpg.

Thanks!

• 2. Re: How do I access my raw settings for further use?
            xbytor2 Level 4
            I opened a jpg in CR, made some changes, opened the image, then saved (from within PS) and closed it.

You should have just saved in in CR. Once you open it in PS, the image is rendered according to the CR settings. If you then save from with in PS, it tosses the settings when it writes the file.

The simplest thing to do is to keep a copy of the jpeg that has the settings. Then copy the settings from there to other images as needed.

There's probably three other ways to do this as well.

• 3. Re: How do I access my raw settings for further use?
              luvtype Level 1

So my applied (but not saved) CR settings are not recorded anywhere as recoverable metadata? Somewhere I might not have thought of...?

Thanks in any case. I'll definitely save in CR from now on.

• 4. Re: How do I access my raw settings for further use?
                RASouthworth Level 3

I just verified the following on my own system (CS4) - if one opens a jpeg in ACR, performs an edit, and then either clicks on Done or Open the edits are written into the exif data within the jpeg file.  The edits won't show up outside of Photoshop, but future PS invocations will cause the jpeg to be opened in ACR with the edits in force.

AFAIK the only way to completely reset the edits, so that opening the jpeg in PS won't bring up ACR, is to clear the settings within Bridge.

Richard Southworth

• 5. Re: How do I access my raw settings for further use?
                  Peter DL Level 1

>> I opened a jpg in CR, made some changes, opened the image, then saved (from within PS) and closed it. Later I needed to create a duplicate of this image and apply the same CR settings I'd used, but I can't find them. When I open the original jpg, all of the CR settings are set to zero.

Is there any way I can access the CR settings I entered? I want to see what they are, not delete them, not get back to the pre-CR-edit stage.<<

You could:

a.) open jpg in CR, edit, then save as DNG file. Edits are re-accessible.
                  or b.) lock the jpg file, open in CR, edit, save under different name as jpg again. Edits can be seen in the metadata. The initial jpg can be re-accessed.

I could be wrong, but it does not seem to be possible to apply metadata-editing on jpg images like with Raw files where xmp sidecars are written out.

Peter

--

• 6. Re: How do I access my raw settings for further use?
                    RASouthworth Level 3

The xmp data is written into the original jpeg file, not a sidecar file.

Here's the drill (I'm doing it as I write this msg):

1. Select a jpeg in Bridge.

2. Right click on the image and select Open in Camera Raw...

3. Perform an edit (I did a drastic exposure reduction to make the edits obvious).

4. Click on Open Image, comes up in Photoshop with edits.

5. Shutdown PS and Bridge.

6. Re-open Bridge, select and open same image.  Opens in Camera Raw automatically, shows edits, and new CR settings.

As I stated in my earlier post, the only way to "de-Camera Raw" the jpeg image is to clear settings from within Bridge.  Again, the jpeg is being re-written with the edits within the file as exif data.  And no, there is no message that such a re-write is occurring.

Richard Southworth

• 7. Re: How do I access my raw settings for further use?
                      RASouthworth Level 3

Adobe Camera Raw has evolved from its early beginnings as just a raw converter to a rather full featured image editor.  One can work on jpegs and tiffs as well as raw files and do extensive (non-destructive) editing, similar to say Aperture or Lightroom.  I process 95 percent of my images without ever leaving Bridge and Camera Raw, mostly in those cases where the end product is not a print.  However, it's capabilities include sharpening for print as well as capture sharpening, so one can construct a "final" image suitable for almost any purpose.

Richard Southworth

• 8. Re: How do I access my raw settings for further use?
                        luvtype Level 1

I did find my own answer too. The CR settings are recorded whichever way you save a CR-edited jpg, and you can easily see your settings in Bridge in the Metadata filter.

BUT it only shows some settings: White Balance, Exposure, Recovery, Fill Light, Blacks, Brightness, Contrast, Clarity, and Vibrance. Saturation, for ex, doesn't show up. If you used the Saturation slider, that change will not appear in the panel.

Thanks to RASouthworth and everyone!

• 9. Re: How do I access my raw settings for further use?
                          RASouthworth Level 3

The sat slider setting is retained on my jpeg images.  I'm using CS4 on a 64bit Windows 7 system.  Keep checking, something is still amiss on your setup.

Richard Southworth

• 10. Re: How do I access my raw settings for further use?
                            luvtype Level 1

You're right! I just discovered a ton of Metadata option in Camera Raw preferences. Can't believe I'd never checked that before.

Thanks!