4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2007 4:29 PM by levancho

Plugin System

Colossalus
      Ok, I am simply looking for ideas on the best way to go about implementing a plugin-based system for a Flex-AIR application. Do I simply import SWF files as "plugins"? How would I go about that if possible, would I just create callable functions at the root level of the SWF "plugin", etc...? (in regards to best practices I mean)
        • 1. Re: Plugin System
          batmitra Level 1
          hi
          you should think of plug ins as modules and you have your answer
          At the moment i'm using flex with .net to build a flex portal and to add "plug ins" to that i'm using modules, it's easy and it works
          • 2. Re: Plugin System
            levancho Level 3
            you Still need a general(shell) API so sthat plugins can be proccessed correctly, using just modules and thats it still not anough you should hotwire it with interfaces.
            • 3. Re: Plugin System
              batmitra Level 1
              quote:

Originally posted by: levancho
              you Still need a general(shell) API so sthat plugins can be proccessed correctly, using just modules and thats it still not anough you should hotwire it with interfaces.

Hi
              you're right ,you must hotwire your modules with the parent application, that's why it is called modules, because they don't work alone, plug ins are not suppose to work alone although some do , so if you use a module you'll have to connect it to a parent application, that is you shell API.
              • 4. Re: Plugin System
                levancho Level 3
                batmitra, you got to understand that to support plugin architecture (what I ment is ) you have to write API for it, it is not pre-made by flex flex gives module support but writing interfaces is up to you and just having modules does not means you have plugin architecture, there has to be some contract so that main application knows what to call in modules and when and it has to be abstract to main application, these kind of things have to be coded