29 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2010 8:55 AM by Marek Jedi99

Any advice for a new rig to run CS5 AE?

Dan Jacobsen Level 1

Hi all,

We currently have CS3 running on a G5.

We want to upgrade so I'm interested in any advice on what I should ask for. I'm not sure about budget as we're including it in the HD upgrade of the suite.

So here's a few questions:

1) Firstly, I've heard PCs are about as stable as Macs for AE, would you agree? Since I work with clients in the room a lot, stability is a main issue.

2) We have a PC running Avid and perhaps we could use this rather than buy a new one:

Win XP Prof
      X5450 @ 3.00Ghz 8 CPUs
      3GB Memory
      Nvidia Quadro FX 3700

Could we just put Vista 64 and more RAM (how much?) onto this? would that be quite a good machine? We can't run Win 7 64bit as it's not compatible with interplay.

3) If we went the Mac route what kind of price would equate with the above PC build - assuming it is an acceptable build.

4) Will Vista 64 allow multi core processing? Currently on the G5 I leave this off as there is a huge delay at the start and end of processing, I'd heard Intel chips don't do this.

5) Will Vista 64 allow use of more than 3GB of Ram (which is what I'm currently stuck with)

6) Any idea on the cost to upgrade from CS3 to CS5? is there a difference if we change platform?

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

• 1. Re: Any advice for a new rig to run CS5 AE?
          Dan Jacobsen Level 1

Forgot to say, I'm in the UK

• 2. Re: Any advice for a new rig to run CS5 AE?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Let me cut it short: CS5 = 64bit = infinite RAM (effectively on Windows 128GB max., dunno where Macs clip it). this includes any multiprocessing. It's simply a whole new way to work. And forget your old Windows machine. That's probably not going to get you much. Likewise, you can safely use Windows 7 instead of Vista. For pricing info, simply check the product page and pick out your upgrade path. If you ask a reseller, you may even get a good discount or some other software on top as incentive...

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Any advice for a new rig to run CS5 AE?
              Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I agree.  Forget the old PC - if it's working doing what it's doing, leave it like it is.  The 3 GB of RAM in it is poor.

My preference is for Mac, but I use both Windows and Mac systems regularly.  Both have plusses and minuses - there are no real technical reasons to choose either.  Which do you prefer to use?  Do you exchange a lot of material with other systems or clients, and is that a factor?

Consider you can run any OS on the Mac, but you can't run Mac OS on a Windows box.

Since you already run the Mac, you need to consider you'll need to cross-grade your Adobe software, PLUS any third party plugins you might use.

Whichever you choose, get LOTS of RAM.  In my opinion, 8GB is the modern minimum for AE.  16GB would be better.  You should have a minimum of 2GB per processor core if you plan on multiprocessing. Don't buy extra RAM or hard drives from Apple - purchase separately and install yourself.

Avoid Vista altogether.  Another reason to leave your older PC behind is that you can run Win7 on a new system without the restrictions your other machine had.

• 4. Re: Any advice for a new rig to run CS5 AE?
                Dan Jacobsen Level 1

Thanks Myl.

What exactly is lacking in that PC (not that old !) I need to make a case for any expense, so I need to tell them why it won't suffice. Would it be better than the old G5?

Unfortunatley, They tell me either the Avids we use or Avid Interplay is not yet supported on Windows 7, so it has to be Windows Vista. Does that run AE ok?

If we did get a new PC or Mac what kind of hardware should we consider? and what kind of price range? I know I'm being awfully vague, but I haven't really been given a budget, we're just squeezing a couple of upgrades into the cost of the HD upgrade. It's a bit annoying but I have to say something like 'Well for £4000 we can get this, but if we spend £6000 we'd get this!'  If that makes any sense . I need to offer them a few ideas or they'll leave me on the G5 or stick AE on that other PC.

Cheers

• 5. Re: Any advice for a new rig to run CS5 AE?
                  Dan Jacobsen Level 1

Thanks Andrew, just read your post.

If I leave the PC with avid on it means staying on 2 rigs, but I'm used to that and it does free me up to use Windows 7 or a new mac.

I think the engineers suggested I move AE onto the PC thinkng it would be a neater solution. Still it might be hard to convince the bosses to buy me a whole new rig.

• 6. Re: Any advice for a new rig to run CS5 AE?
                    Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Look at it this way, since you're doing a full HD upgrade to your suite.

You know the render speeds you get on the G5 right now in standard def projects?  Well, they'll stay about the same working in 1080 HD IF you buy the fastest machine you can get today.  Anything less will actually slow your workflow considerably.  Attempting HD renders on a slower machine with minimal RAM will severely limit your speed and capabilities.

Keeping 2 rigs is a bonus.  You can be rendering multiprocessor AE stuff and continue to use the Avid gear.

• 7. Re: Any advice for a new rig to run CS5 AE?
                      Dan Jacobsen Level 1

That's a good point to use to justify it to them, but AE will be mostly used for SD work still.

What kind of rig would you recommend? I mean. what kind of price are we looking at here?

• 8. Re: Any advice for a new rig to run CS5 AE?

Okay, I misread your processor info. It is indeed relatively new. So if you can upgrade your memory, the machine may be usable. It running Avid, you will be limited to Vista 64, though. Win 7 is not yet certified.

Mylenium

• 9. Re: Any advice for a new rig to run CS5 AE?
                          BlackCalvus Level 1
                          It running Avid, you will be limited to Vista 64, though. Win 7 is not yet certified.

New Avid MC 5.0 now supports Win 7 and will be released in June.  I'd get a Win 7 64bit machine if I were you (professional or ultimate).  If you need to run media composer before 5.0 is released, you can maybe get a vista downgrade with your new machine.    You can then install both and run Avid on Vista for now, and everything else on Win 7.

I'm also close to upgrading my machine, and I also live in the UK  and use both Avid and Adobe production suite.

Personally I'm going to buy a Dell workstation, I have an old one now and I find them reliable.

However I'm still not sure if the only way to use all the cores is to use the multiframe render which launces an instance of AE per core.  I'm very likely going to end up with a 12 core machine, which with hyperthreading is 24 cores....    Even with 24GB memory that's only 1GB per thread if I run them all.

If I run very heavy compositions so I'll need several gigs per process, will each instance of AE still only use one core each?  Isn't any part of the rendering process multithreaded so you don't have to split up the memory this way?

Jon Bagge

Editor, London, UK

• 10. Re: Any advice for a new rig to run CS5 AE?
                            It running Avid, you will be limited to Vista 64, though. Win 7 is not yet certified.

New Avid MC 5.0 now supports Win 7 and will be released in June.

So soon? 4.0 has just been pushed out of the door... I'd still investigate this properly before jumping aboard, though. We are in the situation where the lack of driver support for our Fibre Channel cards would prevent us from upgrading to a 64bit OS without replacing the cards fully. *sigh* This may also be relevant for older revisions of Nitris/ Adrenaline boxes or when you use additional audio hardware with ProTools.

Mylenium

• 11. Re: Any advice for a new rig to run CS5 AE?
                              BlackCalvus Level 1
                              So soon? 4.0 has just been pushed out of the door... I'd still investigate this properly before jumping aboard, though. We are in the situation where the lack of driver support for our Fibre Channel cards would prevent us from upgrading to a 64bit OS without replacing the cards fully. *sigh* This may also be relevant for older revisions of Nitris/ Adrenaline boxes or when you use additional audio hardware with ProTools.

Media Composer 5.0 discussion on Avid forums.

MC5.0 is only 32 bit though still so I'd assume you can use 32bit OS for that.  But then you can't use CS5

It's not easy making all of this fit.

But at least Adobe is less picky than Avid on system requirements, so you can usually fit things around Avid and Adobe products will work.

I'm currently running MC2.7 on Windows XP SP2, and CS3 is happy with that arrangement.

I've been waiting to upgrade my system for a little while now, both for Avid to support Win7 and for Adobe to say what is required for CS5.  Now I'm pretty happy, apart from slightly confusing issues still surrounding multicore use.

Jon Bagge

Editor, London, UK

• 12. Re: Any advice for a new rig to run CS5 AE?
                                jcapellman

I'm wondering the same thing, I have a Phenom II X2 running at 3.9ghz with 8gb and a 5850 Radeon.  I planned on getting the following:

-Dual Socket G34 Motherboard

-AMD Opteron 6128 (8x2ghz Cores)

-16GB of DDR3

And then later this year get another 6128 Opteron and 16GB more ram.  Most of the G34 moterboards have 16 ram slots so you could easily get 64gb of ram using 4gb sticks.

• 13. Re: Any advice for a new rig to run CS5 AE?
                                  trilobyte550m Level 1

While I'm a Mac user myself, I've done quite a bit of system design in the past and am somewhat familiar with what's out there now.

If you're going the Windows route, I'd definitely recommend Windows 7 64-bit.  Actually I believe you'd want to look at the mid and high level Windows options, as they have a 'Windows XP compatibility mode' that works sort of the way programs like Fusion and Parallels let you run Windows on an Intel Mac.  That should tide you over on the short term for Avid, and come summer you'll be able to take advantage of the performance, stability, and security of Windows 7 (haven't yet seen a single review or advisory that says to stay away).  Make sure you install with the 64-bit version, as the only way to upgrade from 32-bit is to flush and re-install (something you don't want to do once you've got all your apps installed and fine-tuned).

Spec-wise, it'll vary depending on your budget.  Ideally you'd want a couple Xeon 5600 processors (same kind of chip that's in the Mac Pro), second best would be that Xeon 3680 (six-core 3.33GHz Xeon), followed by the best performing Core i7 processor that you can get within your budget.  Ignore any marketing hype about over-clocking, while that's big in the gamer/enthusiast community it's definitely not a good idea for a workhorse/production system.  Memory-wise, ECC is better/higher reliability (if your system supports it), and pretty much the more you have the better.  Because of CS5's 64-bit OS support that's probably never been more true - RAM previews will only be limited by the amount of available memory.

Storage-wise, I'd recommend a two-drive setup.  Primary drive for your OS and applications - if the budget allows, get an SSD.  If not, then a 10,000rpm or 7,200rpm hard drive.  Western Digital just announced a 600GB Velociraptor 10,000RPM HDD that's worth considering.  For your secondary drive, a nice big 7,200rpm drive should cover your needs for scratch disk/cache and user data.

For graphics cards, look for something on the list of supported nVidia cards.  Ideally a Quadro 5800 (240 cores, 4GB video memory), otherwise step down the list to what you can afford.  I would hope that nVidia's brand new GTX470/480 would also be added to that list at some point, but at this early stage (they were just announced at the end of March) they are not.  If you're on a tighter budget then stick with the GTX285 - I think you can even get versions of it for PC that have 2GB video memory on board.

Finally, you may want to give some consideration to cooling.  Most PC manufacturers are designing systems around a price tag, and as a result the default configurations don't do a great job in the cooling and airflow department.  If you have the option of spending a couple dollars on the front end to get a better (and/or quieter) fan/cooling solution, it's money well spent.

Good luck!

• 14. Re: Any advice for a new rig to run CS5 AE?
                                    Primary drive for your OS and applications - if the budget allows, get an SSD.

Not really. Most cheap SSDs still have awful writing speeds, which makes them completely unsuitable as system drives, when they cannot accomodate disk swapping. Now since AE uses a custom disk cache, this may never be a problem, but it may be relevant for other applications. So generally it's not good advise on a pro machine.

Ideally a Quadro 5800 (240 cores, 4GB video memory),

What for? Seriously. Definitely not for AE and whether it's really necessary for most potential Premiere Pro CS5 users, is equally a question. If you never do 4k files, it's just a whole lot of money thrown out of the window for nothing...

Most PC manufacturers are designing systems around a price tag, and as a result the default configurations don't do a great job in the cooling and airflow department.

It's weird that you advise users to buy expensive graphics card for no rational reason, but at the same moment assume they would put them in the most awful casings. Honestly, your spreading nonsense. HP, Dell or Fujitsu workstations are silent as a whisper and all have specially designed internal air ducting and vibration free mounting systems. And it's not that people cannot buy eco friendly, silent casings themselves including silent power supplies and equally silent cooling fans.

Mylenium

• 15. Re: Any advice for a new rig to run CS5 AE?
                                      trilobyte550m Level 1

Apologies if suggesting to use a second drive for cache and user data was unclear.  By installing your OS and application files on a smaller, faster primary drive that will be predominantly read-only, using an SSD for this drive will help the machine perform extremely well.  Using a secondary drive for all your cache, scratch disk, swap file, and user data keeps all the heavy disk-write activity on that drive.  You're absolutely correct in that SSD's aren't great at writing data, that's why I suggest a HDD for the secondary drive.

As for the graphics card recommendation, I'm basing that off Adobe and nVidia's information regarding how the whole Mercury playback engine and CUDA support works for After Effects, Premiere, and Photoshop.  Odds are any of the supported cards will cut through Photoshop's needs like butter, but if you're doing any substantial effects work then odds are you'll greatly benefit from the card.  Nowhere did I find any information indicating that a Quadro was only recommended for 4K work.  I would love nothing more than to hear from a CS5 tester or Adobe/nVidia staffer saying something to that effect, that we'd all get near instantaneous performance on the GTX285 (lowest end CUDA card on the list), if you know someone or can confirm that yourself I'd be most appreciative.

As for fans, I have no doubts that all those manufacturers (and others) have fans in their systems.  However, there are better cooling/airflow solutions out there. Considering the relatively trivial cost of a better and possibly quieter solution, and that a machine designed for running AE and similar apps may frequently find itself in situations where it's rendering for extended periods of time (days, etc), improving the cooling & airflow is never a bad thing.

Sorry if my suggestions come off as being an obscene amount of computer.  But AE has, historically, been an obscenely powerful program capable of doing some wonderful things but bringing even the most powerful machines to its knees while rendering.  I have not had access to the CS5 beta, but from what's been made available it appears that the new version will do a lot more, and utilize even more computing resources to get there.

• 16. Re: Any advice for a new rig to run CS5 AE?

Don't worry too much. Buying those monster cards really doesn't make sense for most Adobe apps and not even specialized 3D apps. Unless you really have a quite, quite specific use case that would dictate it, there is no point in it. Specific to Premiere, the majority users will be satisfied with the more affordable FX 4800 or even 3800 models. You know, there are theoretical test cases and then there is practical work and that means that most of what marketing tells you is not really relevant. If you get my point: If you don't use RED, you probably won't care much for its support. Lower end cards will be jsut fien for people who already work with AVC, P2, DVCPro and HDV today in CS4.

Mylenium

• 17. Re: Any advice for a new rig to run CS5 AE?
                                          BlackCalvus Level 1

Personally I may go for a FX3800 or FX4800.  That's for use with Avid, AE and a little bit Blender (just started with that!).  Considering Nvidia has just brought out a new range of gaming cards, I assume a new range of workstation cards will come out fairly soon.  So I might even consider an FX1800, and then upgrade to a new generation card if in a little while I seem to actually need it.

Especially the 4800 is quite expensive, and you can get a fair bit of extra RAM or faster CPU if you go for a cheaper card.

On a slightly different note I'm a bit interested in how much it's worth spending getting a dual Xeon since AE needs so much memory to be able to use it effectively.  I'm looking at buying a Dell Precision T7500, and a dual 5650 (2.66Ghz 12 physical cores) is a bit more expensive than a single 5680 (3.33 Ghz 6 physical cores).  Clearly if I can use all 12 cores it will be faster, but if I can't?  Bear in mind they can use hyperthreading, so a dual Xeon now has 24 threads.  Even at 24GB of memory that's only 1GB per thread.

Now if each copy of AE that runs in memory could use more than one thread it would be a lot more effective.  Especially for things like previewing where you often sit and wait for it to finish.  There was a vague suggestion somewhere that this might be true, but I'd like to know for sure.

Jon Bagge

Editor, London, UK

• 18. Re: Any advice for a new rig to run CS5 AE?
                                            jcapellman Level 1

" Ignore any marketing hype about over-clocking, while that's big in the  gamer/enthusiast community it's definitely not a good idea for a  workhorse/production system. "

I'd tend to disagree with that point, Overclocking is an art and when done right you can get a good bit more performance out of something for just a couple hours of tweaking.  I've got my 3ghz Phenom II cores running at 3.9ghz, never had a bsod or crash in 8 months of usage.

Also in general Underclocking is also helpful on the other side if you don't necessarily want the full power for a second PC on your desk, it can save you a ton of money on your electric bill over time.

• 19. Re: Any advice for a new rig to run CS5 AE?
                                              trilobyte550m Level 1

The changelog makes some specific references to AE's ability to make use of hyperthreading and RAM.  The dual 5600 recommendation in part for the processing power (2x4 or 2x6 physical cores, double that for logical cores), and in part for the additional DIMM slots.  In my own case I'm looking at the 2.66GHz dual Xeon, with a plan of allocating no more than half the core count to AE at least to start.  On the manufacturing process side of things speculation is that Samsung has turned the corner on their 30nm manufacturing process and even started sampling some of the new high end 32GB DIMM's.  While those would likely remain priced way out of my budget for quite some time, the whole move to 30nm is expected to have a waterfall effect on higher density RAM pricing and availability either towards the end of 2010 or the beginning of 2011.

• 20. Re: Any advice for a new rig to run CS5 AE?
                                                BlackCalvus Level 1

Right, I found it:

Note:  After Effects can also use multiple threads to accelerate rendering of a single frame. This form of multiprocessing doesn’t depend on the Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously preference.

In the doument you referred to.

So I guess my question is to what extent can AE do this?  Does it only apply to certain effects for example?  Clearly this kind of multithreading is going to be preferable in many ways.  But will it combine with multiframe render?  So if I setup half the threads for multiframe render will it use the other half to render each frame faster?

If something like this is the case, then bring on the dual Xeons..

Jon Bagge

Editor, London, UK

• 21. Re: Any advice for a new rig to run CS5 AE?
                                                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> So I guess my question is to what extent can AE do this?  Does it only apply to certain effects for example?

Yes. Many, but not all.

> But will it combine with multiframe render?  So if I setup half the threads for multiframe render will it use the other half to render each frame faster?

Yes. That is the point of this post.

• 22. Re: Any advice for a new rig to run CS5 AE?
                                                    BlackCalvus Level 1

Thanks, Todd.

I thought I had read most of your blog posts but I guess I missed that one.

Well that settles it, I need to dig deep into my pockets to get a 12 core machine..   The 5650 (2.66Ghz) or 5660 (2.8Ghz) seem to be good choices as the price rises very quickly for faster CPUs.  On the machine I'm looking at RAM runs at 1333Mhz which I think might be at least as important as the internal CPU speed.

Just waiting for Adobe and Avid to release their new stuff before I buy!

Jon Bagge

Editor, London, UK

• 23. Re: Any advice for a new rig to run CS5 AE?
                                                      trilobyte550m Level 1

I wanted to add a bit of additional information I just came across about CUDA supported cards.  On post #133 of a thread on the red user forum, Simon Hayhurst from Adobe makes mention that the nVidia GTX480 will be supported, most likely by sometime this summer.  Hypothetically speaking, that could prove to be the best bang for the buck when that happens (480 cores and 1.5GB DDR5 video memory for $500-$600).

• 24. Re: Any advice for a new rig to run CS5 AE?
                                                        Dan Jacobsen Level 1

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I'm trying to make a case for a new PC with Win 7 etc on it and leaving the Avid where it is.

Can I ask a couple more things to help my case?

I've been told the new PCs that are currently being recommended for Avid are about £8,000! and I'm not even sure that these will be good for AE. When I looked at the Dell site and entered some of the spec you mentioned (although I couldn't work out how to get a dual 5650) I came out with a much lower price.

1) What kind of price should I be looking at for a fast but cost effective PC?

They are suggesting that I run AE and Avid on one machine, probabaly the existing one that I mentioned above. Then install Vista 64, with a possible upgarde to Win 7 64 when avid interplay supports it.

2) A few of you have said not to get vista but to get Win 7. Could you tell me exactly why so I can pass the info on to our engineers?

Cheers

• 25. Re: Any advice for a new rig to run CS5 AE?
                                                          Dan Jacobsen Level 1

Hi, Can anyone help these 2 questions?

Cheers

• 26. Re: Any advice for a new rig to run CS5 AE?
                                                            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I am answering this question on behalf of myself and not on behalf of my employer, Adobe Systems Incorporated.

That disclaimer is important, because Adobe can't and won't give you recommendations for specific hardware and operating systems within the parameters of your question.

OK, now that that's out of the way, here are my answers:

1) I recently ordered an HP computer specifically for serious After Effects usage, and it was about $3,000 without the monitor. It has 24GB of RAM, a quad-core processor, and a couple of fast internal drives. By not buying an expensive graphics card (which doesn't do as much for After Effects as it does for Premiere Pro), I kept the price from getting out of hand. That said, I had a Quadro CX lying around, and I put that in for Premiere Pro CS5.

2) I used to work for Microsoft on the Windows driver team. In fact, I worked on Vista. I run Windows 7 on my personal computer that I do my own After Effect work on. I'll leave it at that rather than risk potential conflicts of interest. ;-)

1 person found this helpful
                                                            • 27. Re: Any advice for a new rig to run CS5 AE?
                                                              Dan Jacobsen Level 1

Thanks Todd, that's very helpful.

Cheers.

• 28. Re: Any advice for a new rig to run CS5 AE?
                                                                Dailey Pike Level 1

Greetings,

Have owned CS2, CS3, CS4 and along came one giant leap for video editing, CS5.

I too was looking for a new rig. I had a 32 bit XPS from Dell and first went to them. However, they charged an arm and two legs for 24 GB of RAM and the video cards that came with their systems weren't CS5 certified. At HP a similar story.

So after an exhaustive Google search I came across a company called ADK Video Editing out of Kentucky.

Kentucky?

Yes Kentucky!

i7 980x, 24 GB RAM, GTX 285 1024MB

The greatest thing about it is they will install my CS5 Production Suite software, test it, indeed, test the entire system, BEFORE they ship.

Plus, LIFETIME support.

It's a close knit "family" operation run by Scott Chichelli who I later found sometime chimes in on these forums.

Had never heard of them but glad I found them and am eagerly awaiting my new video editing "beast."

Hope this info was helpful.

Best regards,

Dailey Pike

• 29. Re: Any advice for a new rig to run CS5 AE?
                                                                  Marek Jedi99

hello,

I am new here, and I also post those specs on premiere hadware forum as I want to use this rig with premiere, now I found this thread, so hopefully I am not spaming here

my main goal is to use it for AE plus 3D in XSI:

my possible setup :

Intel® Server Board S5520SCR

Intel® Workstation Chassis SC5650WS 1000W

2x Intel® Xeon® Processor X5680- 3.33GHz

Intel® Thermal Solution STS100C (Combo)

Intel® X25-M Mainstream SATA Solid-State Drive - 160GB - as system disk

AXX25DRVADPTR - 2.5" to 3.5" Hard Drive Convertor Kit

2x KVR1333D3D4R9SK3/12GI / 24GB

4x WD Caviar Black 1000GB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-inch 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive (not sure yet about raid)

VGA Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 480, PCIE 2.0, 1536MB, 384bit, GDDR5

blu-ray/dvd burner

windows 7 64bit pro version

plus I have 6TB raid backup for archive, and I am copying most sensitive stuff or work almost each night to this backup

(Intel® Entry Storage System SS4200, with parity based data protection)

I am doing mostly 3D+AE, so I will use it mainly for rendering from XSI, VUE and possible render in MAX, with many jobs done

in AE, but I am doing a lot of authoring too, and I like CS5 Premiere, so I would like to edit too, mostly HD from different sources,

or encoding.... (dslr, red camera, xdcam ex, and many avchd sources)

I sold older comp, and now I am working on i7 920 with 6GB ram, 4TB (700GB is raid1 mirroring for backup) with Ge force GTX260

and I need new comp, hopefully to get money for this xeon setup...,

of course i7 980x is other option, but I think this xeon with will render much faster (3d + AE), and I know I need more disk to get

better performance for Premiere..

thanx for any thoughts..

Marek