6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2010 9:31 AM by Colin Brougham

P2 23.976 ?

jjx Level 1

I thought this footage was shot at 30p - why does it say 23.976 in PP?

• 1. Re: P2 23.976 ?
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

If you're sure: File | Interpret Footage.

-Jeff

• 2. Re: P2 23.976 ?
            Colin Brougham Level 6

Maybe you set 23.976 as your timebase, but you shot overcranked with your scene file's frame rate set to 30p (29.97p). If that's the case, your footage will playback a little bit slower than realtime when used in a 23.976 sequence.

Check your clips with P2 Viewer or a similar P2 application; you should see something like "VFR Ratio". If you see anything but "30/30", you shot offspeed at a particular timebase.

• 3. Re: P2 23.976 ?
              jjx Level 1

Does it sometimes mis-interprete on import or am I more likly wrong about the source?

• 4. Re: P2 23.976 ?
                Colin Brougham Level 6

I've shot P2 for a couple of years now, editing exclusively with Premiere Pro, first CS3 and then CS4,and I've never seen it misinterpret imported P2 footage. I've shot all timebases, all formats, and various variable frame rates.

What format is your footage? I'm guessing you shot 720/24pN (though you thought you were shooting 720/30pN)...

• 5. Re: P2 23.976 ?
                  jjx Level 1

you got me there...my mistake !

so since I have this 24pn P2 and a bunch of HDV 30p do I need to convert one or the other? (my projects are usually 30p)

• 6. Re: P2 23.976 ?
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

I'd use a 30p sequence, though it ultimately depends on your desired output. The 24p files will edit just fine in a 30p sequence; you're basically introducing pulldown. You'll see three individual frames, followed by a fourth frame that is duplicated into the fifth, so as to pad out the number of frames per second from 24 to 30. I don't think Premiere will try to interpolate the "missing" frame; it should just duplicate it. The cadence might be a little weird (you might see the stutter, or you might not), but you could take another tact if that's the case, and if Premiere doesn't try to interpolate the missing frame...

Simply interpret your footage as 29.97, which will make it run 125% faster (30fps / 24fps = 1.25). To get it back to the proper speed, apply a speed change to the clips of 80%; this will counteract the speed up caused by the reinterpretation of the footage. Since Premiere is detecting a change in speed in the clips, Frame Blending will kick in, and will create the "missing" frame from a combination of two different frames. It might look OK, or it might not--the choice is yours.

After Effects would give you better control over this, with presumably somewhat better results, but it might not be worth the fiddling around.

1 person found this helpful