12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2010 6:19 AM by BAKMR

Adobe Reader problems

BAKMR

I keep getting an update notice and when I click on the icon, it has the following: " Following application update failed.   Please run Adobe Reader Repair, Error 15.  I currently have Adobe Reader 8 and when I open it up and click on the Adobe Repair Reader nothing happens.  I tried to un-install Adobe Reader 8 and it won't allow me to un-install it.  I also tried to install Adobe Reader 9 but had problems with it.  I received the following message while trying to install it: " This patch package could not be opened, verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it or contact application vendor to verify this is a valid window".  When I did manage to install part of Adobe Reader 9 it does not remove Adobe Reader 8. Therefore, I have uninstalled Adobe Reader 9 as it isn't installed properly.  Would appreciate suggestions on getting this problem resolved. Thank you!

• 1. Re: Adobe Reader problems
          370H55V Level 4

When you say it wouldn't allow you to uninstall it, are you saying Add/Remove programs wouldn't uninstall it, or were you using the uninstaller in the program folder?

Either way, use the Adobe clean script<<<LINK:  to completely remove Reader 8 and/or 9

Then use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility msicuu2.exe<<<LINK to remove the installer registry settings for Reader 8  (and 9 if they are present)

Then download and install reader 9 from the Downloads page.

• 2. Re: Adobe Reader problems
            BAKMR Level 1

I used the Add/Remove program on the computer.  I went to the first website you suggested, downloaded and  opened it.  I do not see Adobe Reader 8 or Adobe 9  listed on the screen.  There are several listings but I don't know what they mean.  Do I delete all of them?  If necessary I can send you the list. Thank you!

• 3. Re: Adobe Reader problems
              BAKMR Level 1

I checked again this morning and as I said there was no heading with the specific Adobe 8 or Adobe 9 name.  I guess you woul call me a novice as I don't know what all the other items that are listed stand for and don't want to delete them until I know it is safe to delete them.  Will wait until I hear from you to do anything further.  I do appreciate any help and you replying so quickly.

• 4. Re: Adobe Reader problems
                BAKMR Level 1

I went to the first website you suggested and deleted the files that were there.  Then I went to the second website and got the following error:  "Error 1606

Could not acess network location %User Profile %\ Net Hood.  Now what do I do?  PLEASE ANSWER!!!

• 5. Re: Adobe Reader problems
                  BAKMR Level 1

Since I have had no response from  you I thought I would let you know the following.  I tried everything I could think of to take care of the problem but nothing worked, your suggestions did not work.  I got disgusted so did a system restore back to the day this problem with Adobe Reader started.  After the system restore, Adobe Reader 9 was there  (Adobe Reader 8 was gone) and Adobe Reader 9 is working great.  Don't know what system restore had to do with straightening this out but it did something.  Thanks anyway for your help.  One suggestion I might make is when a person posts a reply or still having problems, that they are answered sooner than I have been.  I do like your forums and will possibly have to use them in the future. Again thank you!

• 6. Re: Adobe Reader problems
                    BAKMR Level 1

I forget one item in the reply I just posted.  I don't know whether to check  that my question has been answered or not.  Actually it wasn't answered as I solved the problem myself.  So will wait until I hear from someone.  Thanks!

• 7. Re: Adobe Reader problems
                      ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

BAKMR

Keep in mind that these are user to user forums and not a direct channel to Adobe support.

None of use are paid to help you and mostly do this in our spare time so there is no obligation to get back to you right away.

BAKMR wrote:

One suggestion I might make is when a person posts a reply or still having problems, that they are answered sooner than I have been.  I do like your forums and will possibly have to use them in the future. Again thank you!

• 8. Re: Adobe Reader problems
                        vbhv_malik Level 1

How did your restore point have reader 9 installed when you said it didn't install completely???

• 9. Re: Adobe Reader problems
                          BAKMR Level 1

That is a good question and I have no idea how that occurred.  I am a novice computer user so can't explain how or when that happened.  I do know that after I did the restore, I had several new updates to install  after doing the restore.  I started the downloads for the updates but was not at the computer when the updates were installed.  Perhaps Adobe Reader 9 was one of them.

• 10. Re: Adobe Reader problems
                            BAKMR Level 1

Thank you for  your reply.  I am sorry and I didn't mean to offend you or any of the other people who try to help out computer users with Adobe Reader problems.  From using other helpful forums for other computer problems, usually there was a response from someone within 24 hours and I guess that was what I was judging from.  Again, I do appreciate anyone helping me and appreciate the opportunity to use the forum to solve or possibly solve computer related problems.  Have a great day!

• 11. Re: Adobe Reader problems
                              vbhv_malik Level 1

Adobe Reader in not a part of Windows updates.

What I think might have happened in your case is that soon after you installed reader 9, windows created a restore point. And just after that something must have went wrong on your system that rendered reader unusable.

So, now when you switched back to the restore point you have reader working properly.

• 12. Re: Adobe Reader problems
                                BAKMR Level 1

Thanks for explaining to me how that happened.  I appreciate all the help, etc. and will mark this as my question has been answered.  Have a wonderful day and week!