34 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2010 11:46 AM by chasedbyshark

Can't add menu to Premiere 8 movie

speedygee_10

I am new to using Adobe and am having some issues with adding a menu to my video. My video is complete and I am just trying to add the menu to finish it up. Is the menu sopposed to show up on the timeline? If so, how do I get it there. I've tried clicking the apply button and dragging and dropping. Am I making this harder than it should be?

• 1. Re: Can't add menu to Premiere 8 movie
          the_wine_snob Level 9

The Menu will appear in the Disc Menu navigation window, that will show the Main Menu and then the number of Scene Menus.

In the Create Menus Library, you would just choose Apply, once you have chosen the Menu Set, that you wish to use. If you make a mistake, then just change the Project to Auto Play, and those selections will disappear, and you can start over.

The Menus do not appear in the Timeline.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Can't add menu to Premiere 8 movie
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Just a quick add on to what Hunt has already said.

In the Premiere Elements Disc Menus section where you apply your DVD Menu and customize the main and scene menus if wanted, there is a Preview Button which you can use to preview what the menus look like as well as determine how and if the menu navigation (simulated TV remote) is functioning.

Let us know if you are satisfied with what you see in the Disc Menus Preview before you go on to Share/Disc/Disc DVD or Share/Disc/Disc Bluray. There are no menu offering for Share/Personal Computer/export choices there.

ATR

(Aside....DVD Template comes with a Main Menu Page and a Scene Selection Page. If you do not add Scene Markers (green) to the Timeline, you will not get a Scene Selection Page.)

• 3. Re: Can't add menu to Premiere 8 movie
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Good additions, ATR.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Can't add menu to Premiere 8 movie
                Kilkrzy123

Although the advice sounds solid, I'm having a similar issue. Premiere 8 refuses to allow me to add, edit or even view Disc Menu's or its options. I simply can not make a DVD with a menu it will only allow me to make a DVD in autoplay with no option to change or switch. I can attempt to drag a DVD menu from the one's offered but it won't apply it (even when i hit apply) in addition all the options are all greyed out in the main file menus pertaining to Disc Menus it is as if DVD Menu options are disabled.

• 5. Re: Can't add menu to Premiere 8 movie
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Are you saying that when you hit the Create Menus tab that nothing happens, or do you get the Menu Library?

If you get the Menu Library, then select the Menu Set that you wish to use, and choose Apply from the lower-right of that Library Panel. You can also click-drag on a chosen Menu Set to get it into the Menu Editor Panel.

If following that workflow, do you then see the Menus in the DVD Menus mini Timeline, below the Menu Editor Panel?

PrE_Menus_01.jpg

Note: the above is from PrE 4, but should be very similar for all later versions.

Good luck,

Hunt

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added screen-cap

• 6. Re: Can't add menu to Premiere 8 movie
                    Kilkrzy123 Level 1

Thanks for your reply Bill.

What happens is I click on the Menu Set I want ( It turns Blue ) I hit apply and nothing happens.

I have also Tried to Drag the Menu Set to the Menu Editing Panel, again nothing happens.( Have tried all the different Sets)

I recieve no visual confermantion in the Menu Panel (under the Disc Menu) or Menu Editin Panel indicating that the Menu Set has been applied.

I have even attempted to place Menu Markers manually into the time line to force it to recognize a DvDmenu and again nadda.

It will only format the DVD as a Auto-play movie.

• 7. Re: Can't add menu to Premiere 8 movie
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

What is your project preset, what is the source format and duration of what you have on the Timeline, and have you tried:

a. giving the menu enough time to transfer to the Disc Menus Screen (sometimes there can be a delay)

b. have you tried a sampling of the different DVD menu choices

c. evaluating your computer resources (available RAM and free hard drive space for the size of the project in progress)

Now for my typical and classic questions: are you running Premiere Elements 8.0.1 with Background Rendering and AutoAnalyzer features disabled?

Has this worked previously but suddenly has stopped working as it should?

ATR

• 8. Re: Can't add menu to Premiere 8 movie
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, sounds like you are doing everything, that you should, but it is not working.

Do you have the PrE 8.0.1 update installed? If not, I would get that.

Since you are seeing the Apply button, this does not sound like the old Window Blinds issue, where older versions of that would not show buttons in Adobe GUI's. Probably rule that out.

If you have the PrE 8.0.1 update, I would guess that your installation is corrupt in some way. This is an easy function, and should not result in resource, or memory errors, unless you have been getting those all along.

The Menu Sets have zero to do with your Assets, so they should not be an issue.

Seems odd that a video driver issue could cause this, and not be seen elsewhere, but I would verify that I had the latest one, just to be safe.

If you are on an OS prior to Win7, I'd check Hardware Acceleration and if set to max, try with min. If min, try at max. Also, check GPU Acceleration. Those usually cause playback issues, and you do not mention having those, so again, long shots, but just trying to think of anything, that could cause such behavior.

As for the Chapter Markers, if you do not have them PrE will offer to add them for you. When you tried without the Makers, you did not get that dialog box.

Now, have you added a Main Menu Marker? If not, I would definitely try that.

I just do not recall hearing of such behavior before. I was hoping that it was just simply the manner that you were choosing the Menus or Applying them. Maybe Steve, Neale, ATR, or another will have a solution for you, but those are about all the ideas that I have.

• 9. Re: Can't add menu to Premiere 8 movie
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Thanks for stopping by this thread. I've been trying to come up with something that would cause this behavior, and not be noticed elsewhere and earlier in the Project.

Obviously, we were thinking along some of the same lines, but you did offer some things that I had not thought of.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Can't add menu to Premiere 8 movie
                            speedygee_10 Level 1

Bill & ATR,

Thank you for all the advice. As soon as my kids allow I will give all this a try and let you know how things turned out.

• 11. Re: Can't add menu to Premiere 8 movie
                              Kilkrzy123 Level 1

1. Updates were installed running 8.0.1

2. Graphics Card/Drivers Up to date ( Nvidia 8800 )

3. Project I'm working on consists of .wmv videos  720X480 NTS (No HD) all created exactly the same in Adobe Elements/Premiere 8 bundle.

4. Running Vista 64bit, 4Gig Ram QuadCore with 400Gig on the HD availible Project Rendered in auto-play 2Gig

5. Auto-Anilizer Off, Background Render Off

6. I've applied-Menu Marker both Auto and Manual it adds them just fine

It just refuses to add the menu's.

• 12. Re: Can't add menu to Premiere 8 movie
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

What happens if you use PSE to transfer the SlideShow into PrE, without doing the WMV. Then, in PrE, choose Break Apart SlideShow for editing?

I am wondering if the WMV's are playing a role in this.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Can't add menu to Premiere 8 movie
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Kilkrzu123

I am tempted to suggest an complete and clean uninstall/reinstall of Premiere Elements 8, but first....

What happens if you open a new project with the project preset (new project dialog) = NTSC DV Standard and you import 3 jpeg photos each with a size of 1000 x 750 pixels. You place a scene marker (green) at the beginning of each photo. You go to Disc Menus Section and select and try to apply one of the DVD Menu Templates there to the project. Can you?

Have you been there and done that as a mini test run?

Also, how many DVD Templates have you tried? All the same result? How much of that 4 GB RAM installed is list as available for your 32 bit application that is running in the Vista 64 32 bit compatibility mode? Am I correct in that you have 400 GB free hard drive space on the Local C drive??? Are you using any supplemental drives? And where are your Scratch Files directed? How long did you say your current Timeline is?

ATR

• 14. Re: Can't add menu to Premiere 8 movie
                                    Kilkrzy123 Level 1

AT

I followed your suggestion> Created a movie w/ 3 .jpg photos, set manual scene markers and still same problem/ No Menu's created.

I've attempted numerous Teplates all with the same result.

As for Memory with Premiere running I'm at 67% I'm not sure how to check what allocated for 32bit opperations, however I can Prieview my project so

I don't think Memory is the issue. My scratch/project is located on the same path and directory I have no additional drives and I have a bit over 400GiG availible on my Hard Drive.

As for my project length, ive tried different videos from 3 frames (1min) to my project length of 40min and various time lengths inbetween.

I'll wait your thoughts, but My next step will probably be a reinstall and cross my fingers.

• 15. Re: Can't add menu to Premiere 8 movie
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Kilkrzv123

I think that the 3 jpeg project said it all....time for uninstall/reinstall. But, if you have created Premiere Elements 8 preferences and user custom presets, be careful not to lose them in the process. I have a write up somewhere that I can search for that suggests have to save these items for use in the reinstalled program. And, of course, you will have to reinstall the 8.0.1 Update (Patch).

Another thought that you might consider is trying to run the Premiere Elements project in a new User Account (created with Administrative Priviledges). Just two touch bases questions...do you have the latest version of Quicktime installed on your computer and have you been running Premiere Elements in a User Account with those Administrative Priviledges?

Hoping for good news,

ATR

• 16. Re: Can't add menu to Premiere 8 movie
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

You can probably answer this question - does PrE 8 have the Repair Install option, like nearly every other Adobe program has? That would be my first step, if it is an available option.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Can't add menu to Premiere 8 movie
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

No Repair, as far as I have ever found. I am anti-Repair and pro-Uninstall person. Repair has never worked for me in troubleshooting.

First phase of Premiere Elements 8 uninstall relates to

Keep my prefereences

Remove my preferences

Remove Downloaded Content

Remove SmartSound QuickTracks (other applications might be using it, uninstalling it might affect the functionality of other applications.)

The second phase is a flat out Remove. You accept or do not accept. Accept continues you in the uninstall process. If you do not accept, that is that.

ATR

• 18. Re: Can't add menu to Premiere 8 movie
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                                            No Repair, as far as I have ever found. I am anti-Repair and pro-Uninstall person. Repair has never worked for me in troubleshooting.

Interesting. I have only had to use it twice, but it saved my entire CS2 Production Studio, when the installation of PrE 4 killed every program in it. It took about 30 mins. total to Repair PS, AI, Bridge, PrPro, Encore, Acrobat Pro and InDesign. Used it once with AI, when a Java update mangled it.

Others on the PrPro board have had nothing but 100% results with Repair Install. Sorry that it has not worked for you.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 19. Re: Can't add menu to Premiere 8 movie
                                              Kilkrzy123 Level 1

Well, I finally got it working.

1. Uninstalled Premiere

2. Re-installed Premiere, Premiere Update and Quicktime( Just as a after-thought)

So Far I havn't installed the Templates Disk but I'll do that next and if i have anymore issues Ill let you know.

Thanks for all the help

Kilkrzy

• 20. Re: Can't add menu to Premiere 8 movie
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Kilkrzv

When you say "I finally got it working", does that mean that you were able to move a DVD Template from the Disc Menus Section into the Disc Menus Window and your project?

I know that you say that you have not installed the DVD Templates yet, but I think that there is one (named Fun) that comes along with the Premiere Elements install.

I just have had some great news myself and resulting from a complete and clean uninstall of first Premiere Elements 8 and then Photoshop Elements 8, followed by a reinstall of first Premiere Elements 8, Photoshop Elements 8, and then the DVD Menus. My problem was a Photoshop Elements 8 Organizer that would not open. But that is another story for another time.Details, if and when requested.

Looking forward to the full details of your success. Keep up the good work.

ATR

• 21. Re: Can't add menu to Premiere 8 movie
                                                  speedygee_10 Level 1

Hunt & ATR,

Got mine working as well. Thanks for all the info.

• 22. Re: Can't add menu to Premiere 8 movie
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

You are most welcome and glad that you have found success!

Good luck,

Hunt

• 23. Re: Can't add menu to Premiere 8 movie
                                                      Kilkrzy123 Level 1

Additional Info Requested:

After the reinstalled everything I was able to Move the templates into the Preview Pane and got it to add DvD menus to my project. Previews came up just fine after the re-install and I changed nothing in terms of presets or any additional settings.

As far as the Template DVD, I had it installed with my original installation, however when i reinstalled PE i waited till after i confirmed the menus worked with the preloaded templates in PE before i added the DVD templates just incase it was the additional Templates that were causing the problem. It still continued to work after the DVD templates were added this morning so that wasn't an issue and I got my project burned.

I still have organizer issues from time to time hanging or closing on me but I can live with that for now.

Honestly, this bundle is less than stellar in terms of stability i hope Adobe can flesh this out a bit more because the reviews of the program range from Junk to OMG i cant even believe this is an Adobe product.

• 24. Re: Can't add menu to Premiere 8 movie
                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Not sure if I posted this ARTICLE up-thread, but you might get some tips on getting your computer ready for an editing session. Not that resources are the issues with the crashes that you are getting, but it cannot hurt.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 25. Re: Can't add menu to Premiere 8 movie
                                                          chasedbyshark

I was able to add a menu from AD Premier 8 - then it stopped. Whenever the techs access my computer the system crashed. If anyone can walk me through the steps to develop an interactional menu for my DVDs - would be greatly apprecaited.

• 26. Re: Can't add menu to Premiere 8 movie
                                                            nealeh Level 5

Steve Grisetti has a free tutorial at http://muvipix.com/products.php?subcat_id=41

Cheers,
                                                            --
                                                            Neale
                                                            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 27. Re: Can't add menu to Premiere 8 movie
                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

CBS

First we need address your Premiere Elements 8.0 setup to make sure that you are starting off on the right foot.

a. Do you have the Premiere Elements 8.0.1 Update (Patch) installed?

b. Do you have the Background Rendering feature turned OFF? See Premiere Elements workspace Edit Menu/Preferences/General?

c. Do you have the AutoAnalyzer feature turned OFF? See Elements Organizer workspace Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoAnalzyer Options?

Now for a quick check of the computer:

a. How much available RAM and free hard drive space does your computer have? See Task Manager Performance as a start.

b. How much free hard drive space does your computer have (from Local C drive + external hard drive?)? Where are your Premiere Elements Scratch Files directed (See Premiere Elements workspace Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks) and make sure that they are directed to a place where there is appropriate free space to receive them.

Now for a quick look at your project:

a. What is on that project's Timeline? Video..source, format, and duration. Photos. pixel dimensions and how many. Other.???

b. What is your project preset (new project dialog)?

c. What specific Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 DVD Template are you trying to use for this project?

d. What is your intended export goal...Share/Disc/Disc DVD with a preset of Standard or Widescreen?

You might be better served starting your own thread. But let us see what we can do here unless the Moderator decides otherwise. Problems with the same symptoms can have different causes.

ATR

• 28. Re: Can't add menu to Premiere 8 movie
                                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

CBS

Just an add on note.

From your description of what is happening (including computer crashing when techs try to work on your computer), I am left to believe that a step by step for applying a DVD Template to your project should be put on HOLD until you resolve the major issues related to the basic use of Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 in your specific computer environment.

I am not sure where that troubleshooting will lead us. It might require a complete and clean uninstall/reinstall of Premiere Elements PLUS optimization of your computer (clean up, clear out, and updating its resources as needed).

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/514/cpsid_51427.html

ATR

• 29. Re: Can't add menu to Premiere 8 movie
                                                                  AlexP2163

Having exactly the same problem with my PrE 8.0.1 as described in this post. All solutions that are suggested here don't help, except for I haven't tried to deinstall/fresh install yet, but I'm not excited about such a "solution". Judging by what people say here it seems to be a general problem with PrE that needs to be addressed by Adobe.

Actually I'm not even sure I've had Disk Menus under PrE working under my current installation of Win7/x64. I definitely have produced a couple of DVDs with menus 3 or 4 months ago when I was running PrE under WinXP and there was no issue at all with dragging and dropping an item to the clip area. I believe I never actually tried it under Win7 yet. If I could supply any additional info that might be helpful in hunting this bug up I'd gladly do so.

• 30. Re: Can't add menu to Premiere 8 movie
                                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Alex,

Welcome to the forum.

When you say that you are having the same problem, as outlined above, then when you attempt to add a Menu (Create Menu), your system is crashing. Is that correct? Do you get any error messages?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 31. Re: Can't add menu to Premiere 8 movie
                                                                      AlexP2163 Level 1

Hi Hunt,

Thanks for a quick answer.

Just to clarify. When I'm trying to add Disk Menu PrE does not crash (although it crashes sometimes as well, but that will be asked in another thread :-) It just ignores the command. When I click on a Template and while I'm dragging it, the cursor changes, but at the moment I release the mouse button over the "drag Template here" title the cursor changes back to regular pointer and nothing happens. I tried with 3 different projects, different profiles, etc. Clicking "Apply" button does {or better to say "does not do") the same. Nothing,

Thanks, Alex

• 32. Re: Can't add menu to Premiere 8 movie
                                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Alex,

Not sure what is going on, but thanks for letting us know what the issue is. This is perhaps something that needs to come to Adobe's attention.

Hunt

• 33. Re: Can't add menu to Premiere 8 movie
                                                                          chasedbyshark Level 1

Last week Adobe came out with Elements 9. One trial of 9 fo0r me did

work. The burn is a problem with 8. By putting the disc back in, in some

instances, I found it worked. I am switching to 9.

• 34. Re: Can't add menu to Premiere 8 movie
                                                                            chasedbyshark Level 1

I purchased PE9. It came out last Wednesday. The only good things

about PE8 - I learned how to use the PE software and met new friends in

India.