8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2010 11:57 AM by NAdducci

Exporting to Media Encoder and file locating issue

NAdducci

Ok, Now I've read a LOT of threads trying to find a solution to this but none of them have answered my problem exactly, so here's what I have:

Running a New computer with a clean install of Windows 7 64 bit and Adobe CS4 Master Suite

Hardware:

Dell Precision M6400

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU  T9900 @ 3.06 Ghz, 3.07 Ghz

12.0 GB Ram

Premiere ran fine for a while, but soon I've run into a problem where I try to export to the Media Encoder and I keep getting the error:

"Could not read from the source. Please check if it has moved or been deleted"  over and over

I have deleted recently imported media one at a time to try and locate what's causing it since it wasn't doing this before, but no luck.  So I restarted the program but now the Premiere project won't open.  The task bar loads until about 2/3 in and stops there indefinitely, I've left and came back to it 2 hours later and it hadn't moved.  I back tracked and found a previous save that will open, but it still will not export, it still says "Could not read from the source. Please check if it has moved or been deleted".  And as soon as I update anything and save a new file that one will not open either.

I've tried recompressing each video file into a format I know works well with Premiere but still no difference. 

This problem has plagued my workflow for a while now and I can't take it anymore.  I've had to restart clean project files to try to work around it but I lose so much progress, and the work around by rendering the premiere file through After effects hasn't worked either.  The error I get there says "Dynamic link server is busy".

Here's what the problem is not:  It is not because I uninstalled CS3 or any other previous version, I've never had it on this computer.  It's not a plugin problem, I don't have any plugins on this install except for the default ones that Came with Adobe Master Suite for Premiere Pro. 

Someone please help me, this is ridiculous that I have had to trouble shoot the program this much.  Both CS4 and Windows 7 have been around for over a year now and neither are in Beta Editions

• 1. Re: Exporting to Media Encoder and file locating issue
          Harm Millaard Level 7

OS, PR version, disk setup, etc.?

• 2. Re: Exporting to Media Encoder and file locating issue
            NAdducci Level 1

Harm Millaard wrote:

OS, PR version, disk setup, etc.?

Like I wrote in the post:

"Running a New computer with a clean install of Windows 7 64 bit and Adobe CS4 Master Suite

Hardware:

Dell Precision M6400

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU  T9900 @ 3.06 Ghz, 3.07 Ghz

12.0 GB Ram"

• 3. Re: Exporting to Media Encoder and file locating issue
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Like I asked and you did not answer, 4.0, 4.1, 4.2, 4.2.1? I guess it makes no difference since you have no disks, at least you did not answer the question about disk setup either. No information about your media, or the codec, or the sequence settings, a lot of lacking information.

Do your PPS files open correctly or XLSM files?

• 4. Re: Exporting to Media Encoder and file locating issue
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

This ARTICLE will give you some ideas of the types of info that will so very useful in helping us troubleshoot your issues.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Exporting to Media Encoder and file locating issue
                  NAdducci Level 1

Wow, sorry, forgive me if I've seen most forums work with a lot less, and your dismissiveness led me to assume you hadn't read my post.

All of this is new and up do date as far as Adobe and Windows updates go, that's Version 4.2.1.

My projects for this are all in NTSC Widescreen DV 24P, the particular sequence that I render from is in that format as well, although regardless of which one I use the problem keeps occurring. 

My renders for my recent purposes have been compressed in .h264, IPOD video Large.  The codec I'm rendering in also doesn't seem to matter, because I've tried this in .avi., .mov, .h264, .wav, etc. and all with various settings that I thought might help, but the encoder quits encoding 4 seconds in and gives me the error that it can't find the media.

And I didn't mention the media type and what not because it seems irrelevent of what I use this problem keeps happening.  I'm pretty sure it's a problem with the project file or perhaps the media encoder or both.

And I don't know what you mean by "disks"

Do I have a Raid set up on my hard disk?  No, I have two 0.5 TB hard drives, Programs on one (C:\) Projects on the other (D:\). 

What address am I saving the scratch disks to?  I use the default of "same as Project".  Have I tried Clearing it?  Yes.

I don't think I'm getting at what you're asking.

And I don't think I've ever used an .xlsm (which is excel?) file and I've definitely never used a Power point project (PPS?) file in my projects.  And they open in their respective programs, although I'm not sure why you asked about that.  Again I'm not sure I know what you mean.

The Premiere Project (.prproj) file is what I'm trying to open when the progress bar stops at 2/3 the way through and forces me to terminate the process with the task manager to close it.

It would help to mention that all my projects are animated and I use premiere to cobble them together, so no problems that relate to transferring media from a camera to the computer would apply here.  Most of the files I get out of Maya are in Default .avi or .mov files, and I also use a handful of .wav files for the dialogue and .jpgs for cards and placeholders. 

I believe that this problem began when I updated a few of the files in my project, but I've been doing that for weeks without incident.  I've been updating them by saving over the old media file with the updated one of the same name, length, and type. 

I don't work exclusively with Premiere, in fact it's not what I usually use, that would be Final Cut Pro.

• 6. Re: Exporting to Media Encoder and file locating issue
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

If you have a PRPROJ file, that is not Opening in PrPro, the next test is to see if you can Import that Project, into another. Just do New Project, and choose Import Project. That usually works.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Exporting to Media Encoder and file locating issue
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

This PrPro-Wiki FAQ Entry might prove useful too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Exporting to Media Encoder and file locating issue
                        NAdducci Level 1

Thank you for your responses, I haven't tried that actually.  Sorry I'm in deep in another project and I'll get back to this problem probably by tomorrow and try your advice.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for your help.