4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2010 6:15 AM by JohnF0021

Disk Cache not Working (not answered elsewhere)

JohnF0021 Level 1

Nehalem 8 core, OS X 10.6.3. ATI Radeon HD 4870 (512 MB, full OpenGL support), 6 GB, 1 TB dedicated cache HD.

4.5 GB RAM & 10 GB disk cache allocated, but the only blue elements in the preview render bar are for still frames where I've physically placed the cursor. Purge ineffective. AE is simply not writing to cache when I do a spacebar preview. Losing tons of time with my projects....

• 1. Re: Disk Cache not Working (not answered elsewhere)
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Losing tons of time with my projects....

Ahem...

AE is simply not writing to cache when I do a spacebar preview.

Why should it? That's exactly the problem - you are telling AE to always try and render in realtime. Create RAM previews instead and AE will flush out overflow frames to the disk cache. Please read up -->Previewing

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Disk Cache not Working (not answered elsewhere)
            JohnF0021 Level 1

Thanks for your response.

Actually, it was doing it until around ten days ago. Once the RAM was filled it would write the remainder to cache and then play back the entire sequence in real time. Now after the RAM is filled it eats its own tail.

• 3. Re: Disk Cache not Working (not answered elsewhere)
              yenaphe Level 4

Well, if i'm not mistaken, you can't explicitly ask AE to write in the cache to get longer Ram previews. When you allocate cache disk space, AE will use it only if it's faster to read the cache file than re-rendering the frame.

• 4. Re: Disk Cache not Working (not answered elsewhere)
                JohnF0021 Level 1

Thanks for your post.

Until last week, whenever I was generating a standard preview, once the RAM cache was filled the disk cache would take over (a green bar in the timeline followed by a blue bar) and the entire scene could then be played back in real time. Now, for some reason, all I get is the green bar. Once the available RAM is used, subsequent frames are rendered at the expense of the first frames. Rendering at low resolution is a workaround in some cases but if I need to check the subtle changes in an effect over a period of more than four seconds or so, the only way I can do it is to output a movie every single time I tweak the effect. This is a major time killer.

I have no idea why this no longer works or how to fix it.