18 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2010 7:56 PM by Todd_Kopriva

Adobe's System / Hardware requirements

the_wine_snob Level 9

As I have mentioned for years, and with many Adobe Products, they need to get "real" with regard to minimum requirements.

OK, so Adobe will sell a couple fewer units, BUT think about the units that they do sell, to the poor folk at the lower-end, who then find that PrPro will not edit, PS will not work, etc.

When I mention a 3x SATA HDD setup on the PrE forum, the users cite that the min. is stated as an 80GB EDIE, or similar. Yeah right. Like that will allow more than just the installation of the program. Import a 15 min. DV-AVI, and you are hosed! Adobe, which I love, needs to get real, and temper the Marketing-types here. They need to be made to listen to the engineers, and change these specs.

[Rant Mode OFF]

Hunt

• 1. Re: System / Hardware requirements
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Bill,

FYI, I have asked Adobe to post the minimum requirements in a more understandable format, maybe even making the distinction of DV, HDV, AVCHD and similar requirements.

For CS5 it has gotten worse than with CS4, which stated a DEDICATED drive and now they have left out that word, leading to even more confusion with the lame excuse the one can work with short DV clips...

• 2. Re: System / Hardware requirements
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I usually suggest that users ignore the "minimum system requirements," and then I point them to your articles on system configurations. If the user can get past that "minimum" aspect, they usually report that the addition of a couple more HDD's really help their system for editing. So long as most "get it," then the work is done.

Hunt

• 3. Re: Adobe's System / Hardware requirements
              rokn1500 Level 1

i'm glad to see this post. for example, it is impossible to figure out what hardware

configuration is necessary to use Premiere Pro with tapeless (AVCHD) files. it

is comical. my guess is that they are embarrased to really say...i suspect you will

need processors at least 3.6G for the codec, 7200 rpm or more to save large temp

files and some special NVIDIA card, or maybe a GPU. In any case, it is not a system

that either HP or Dell sell on the Internet. Anyway, I would love to see the official

benchmarks on the target platform...i will not be holding my breathe.

• 4. Re: Adobe's System / Hardware requirements
                Mortimer IOU Level 2

I agree that the hardware specs need to be more clearly stated, especially as they apply to the video apps. Just stating mimimum specs for CS5 is not enough, as shown by the many posts on the subject since CS5 was released.

So my moving this thread to the hardware forum is no reflection on the importance of the topic.

• 5. Re: Adobe's System / Hardware requirements
                  rokn1500 Level 1

amen. i hope you guys get it right.

• 6. Re: Adobe's System / Hardware requirements
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>hope you guys get it right

Unfortunately, the "you guys" posting here have very little sway with Adobe

Jerry is a forum Moderator... but that does not mean Adobe employee and, while I am sure he knows some employees, that does not at all mean that the marketing types in charge of posting the requirements are going to listen

As far as AVCHD... my computer works, for me, so it is what **I** would call the minumim... hardware listed on my notes page http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM

• 7. Re: Adobe's System / Hardware requirements
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Jerry.K,

I am always cool with where the MOD's think that a post belongs, and will, hopefully, do the most good.

I understand that marketing is probably really keen on getting sales of products to the greatest base, but especially with PrPro, En and AE, I think that they might be misleading some users a bit too much. As you point out, a CS5 equipment rec. can cover a lot of products, and just those three should be broken out.

My post was in response to so many angry replies, citing the "minimum specs.," and how the poster's machine met those, but would not edit. I feel their pain, just like the folk, who buy an AVCHD camera, only to find out that they need a new, stout computer, just to edit it.

I always just link to Harm's various articles (great resources, BTW) and explain that the specs. on the box might work for PS, or AI, but when one gets into PrPro and AE, things are different. Throw in RED footage, or AVCHD, and all bets are off.

Thanks for thinking here,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Adobe's System / Hardware requirements
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

When questions on hardware specs. come up, I usually reply that one should rather ignore those, and then link to Harm's articles here. Hopefully, I catch those users, before they build/buy a system spec'ed from the side of the box.

Jerry.K does make a very good distinction - CS5 is a product line, and has many programs within it. Some will probably do fine with the published minimum specs, but some will likely not.

Though it would get a bit long, I could see something like a base minimum, with PrPro, En and AE having a footnote, "triple all specs." and then another with for AVCHD or RED (add others as is necessary), "double those specs."

From a marketing standpoint, that gets dicey, but then it really hurts for me to have to tell a user that their brand new Toshiba laptop will never edit video, especially AVCHD, smoothly, regardless of what the "minimum specs." state. I can often hear their screams of anguish all the way to Arizona. They then loose faith in Adobe, and usually want to "shoot the messenger" too.

It's akin to my auto mfgr. stating that 85 octane gasoline will run in my new car (requires 91 octane min.), but omitting that it will not run well with it, or for very long. I'd be screaming then too.

Hunt

• 9. Re: Adobe's System / Hardware requirements
                          rokn1500 Level 1

fyi, if it is sales they want they had better say what will work. i am

holding off on upgrade to the entire CS5 line just because i have no idea

what hardware to buy for best performance.

• 10. Re: Adobe's System / Hardware requirements
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

For hardware recommendations to run PrPro CS5, you are in the correct place for real world advice. I'd start by looking down the left-hand column and reading every article that Harm Millard has posted. That is as good as it gets. When you have digested his recs., then post with any specific questions, and he, plus others, will be glad to offer advice. This forum is a much better resource, than most any others.

Good luck,

hunt

• 11. Re: Adobe's System / Hardware requirements
                              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>what hardware to buy for best performance

Asus P6 motherboard... exact model will depend on what other features you want

Intel i7 930 or higher CPU... overclock at your option

12gig of DDR3 memory... clock speed "somewhat" depends on CPU and "somewhat" on overclocking decision

Number of hard drives will "somewhat" depend on the type of video you will edit... I do "OK" with 320Gig + 320Gig + 1Terabyte for AVCHD... other types of HD require RAID... read everything by Harm for more on RAID

nVidia GTX 470 to use CUDA/MPE

Minumim 850w power supply... 1000w for RAID

Full tower case with LOTS of fans... and an after-market CPU cooler instead of the stock Intel cooler... I don't overclock, but still bought a different cooler

• 12. Re: Adobe's System / Hardware requirements
                                Mortimer IOU Level 2

As has been said, there is little if anything that anyone who posts here, including I believe those few product team members who actually work for Adobe, can do about what appear to be marketing decisions. Another example of user frustration over marketing decisions is the limitations of the Pr trial version. However, in the case of hardware specs at least, this forum (thanks largely to Harm) is a good place for users to come to address what is needed to run Pr CS5. It is, as far as I know, the only hardware forum in the Adobe U2U forums. Anyone looking to buy/build a new machine on which to run Pr would be well-advised to browse this forum first. Spreading that word would be a service to everyone.

• 13. Re: Adobe's System / Hardware requirements
                                  rokn1500 Level 1

thanks. much appreciated.

r

• 14. Re: Adobe's System / Hardware requirements
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

And I do as much to "spread" that word, as I can.

When I field those disgruntled users, this (and links to Harm's articles) are my first course of action.

My hope was to just have note made, that things could be a bit more realistic. I think that we have at least gotten the one vote, and maybe marketing will consider things - or maybe not.

Considering our wonderful Adobe presences here, they cannot say, "hey, no one ever told us this."

Thanks,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Adobe's System / Hardware requirements
                                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Regarding the sentiment that we need to "get real" about the system requirements:

I think that that message is getting through. I'd even say that it got most of the way through for CS5, and you can see the evidence in many places (just not all) where system requirements are discussed.

Take for example this page, which gives different requirements for different levels of performance:

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/production/performance/

I may have broken that down differently myself, but I hope that you can see that it's a step in the right direction.

• 16. Re: Adobe's System / Hardware requirements
                                        rowby Level 1

Todd_Kopriva wrote:

Regarding the sentiment that we need to "get real" about the system requirements:

I think that that message is getting through. I'd even say that it got most of the way through for CS5, and you can see the evidence in many places (just not all) where system requirements are discussed.

Take for example this page, which gives different requirements for different levels of performance:

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/production/performance/

I may have broken that down differently myself, but I hope that you can see that it's a step in the right direction.

Hi Todd,

Please look at the following ad by Dell for its Precision workstations.

http://www.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/workstations?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&~ck= mn&~tab=2&CID=28189&LID=1406433

The ad states:

Feel the inspiration.

In  the studio or on the road, now you can have the power to keep up with  your ideas and stay on top of your schedule.

• Speed your way through the most complex tasks  with powerful Intel®  Xeon®  processors.
                                        • Collaborate, multitask, render and more – with a system ISV-certified (my bold) to run 90 applications including Autodesk®   Maya®  2011, Autodesk®  3ds Max®  and  Adobe®  CS5.
                                        • Keep your software  and hardware working seamlessly with options Dell ProSupportTM ,  your single point of contact to over 75 software vendors for fast,  efficient problem resolution.

The default configuraiton the above ad refers to the following computer.  "Event Videographer Offer"

It comes with 1 GB ram, 256MB ATI FireMV® 2260, 2MON, 2 DP w/ 1 DP to DVI Adapter, ONE 250GB SATA 3.0Gb/s with NCQ and 8MB DataBurst  Cache™, etc.

Certainly it can be imporoved by "Customizing", but considering that Dell touts Adobe (and specifically Adobe CS5) as being a a system ISV-Certified partner, shouldn't Adobe require Dell to offer by a simple click of an icon, at least a minimum system that will actually run Adobe CS5 and Adobe Premiere CS5 (the above link came from a full page ad on the back cover of a Video magazine.)

Since CS5 has some very serious hardware requirements, I feel Adobe must be on the CUSTOMER's side when it comes to its partners using its Trademarked named products -- and not rely on the "good will" of the sales people who pick up the phone at its ISV-Certified hardware partners who may or may not have the knowledge (or desire) to ensure that the machine they sell will actually run Adobe CS5, and specifically Adobe Premere CS5.

Regards,

Rowby.

Event Videographer Offer

Configured  with Intel Xeon processors and the Nvidia Quadro FX3800 graphics card,  the certified Precision T3500 is engineered to deliver new levels of  balanced performance, scalability, and affordability.

Starting Price$1,049.00
                                        Instant  Savings$260.00
                                        Subtotal$789.00
                                        • 17. Re: Adobe's System / Hardware requirements
                                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I've forwarded the information about that Dell ad to someone who is more likely to be able to do something about it. My ability to directly make changes ends on our own website. But I agree that having one of our "business development" folks talk with someone at Dell about this is a good idea.

• 18. Re: Adobe's System / Hardware requirements
                                            rowby Level 1

Thanks Todd,

Thanks for offering to forward my concerns to Adobe's marketing / business development people.

I think it's important because I can just see a student, or someone with a limited income, or someone recommending Adobe CS5 to their employer ending up with a disaster on their hands because they bought the minimum Dell system or recommended it to their employer -- thinking that Adobe has 'okayed' the system.

It's just not fair to the unknowledgeable customer, and reflects poorly on Adobe.  In many cases this can seriously affect a person's livelihood and income -- and I'm not talking about the salespeople Dell (or Adobe for that matter).

Personally I think, with its new serious hardware requirements, Adobe needs to offer a CS5 Certified certificate system to any hardware vendor (not just Dell) who offers a machine that they claim will run CS5 and/or Premiere -- but does not even meet Adobe's minimum requirements.

Regards

Rowby