5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2010 9:30 AM by Mylenium

Memory Error - Help Needed for a student

rdh1969

AE Error Message.png

• 1. Re: Memory Error - Help Needed for a student
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

And? Sorry, but this is an utterly pointless "My car doesn't run" post. System specs? Project settings? Render settings?

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Memory Error - Help Needed for a student
            yenaphe Level 4

You layer is too big for your amount of ram. You need to lower the size of your huge layer (12000x7000 is huge)

• 3. Re: Memory Error - Help Needed for a student
              rdh1969 Level 1

Student here. i was working on a really big poster in photoshop cs4 but it didnt have the effects i wanted so i used after effects cs4 and i just wanted to save the frame as a photoshop layers but this happened. i understand its a rediculous size but the computer im using has 4.0 rating so..... is there any way you guys could help me. without being total ****** bags (mylenium)

• 4. Re: Memory Error - Help Needed for a student
                yenaphe Level 4

Well the problem here is that AE handles memory differently than Ps. AE needs to fit in

one single RAM memory block your whole image to be able to render it (unlike Ps). So the problem AE don't have enough Ram to be able to render your frame. This is caused by 2 factors: AE CS4 is a 32bit app, so it can't access more than 4gb of ram per process. If you have 4gb or less ram, and on a 32bit OS, you won't be able to let AE get it's 4gb of ram (3.5 for MacOS, 3 for Vista & 7, and 2 for XP). If you're on a 64bit OS, AE CS4 can max out 4gb in one process but you must have more than 4gb.

So the only solution I can see here, is, in Ps, split it in smaller bits (like 2000*2000), import them in AE, apply your effects on them, and re-export the small bits and reconstruct the image in Ps.

I know it's not the solution you wanted to hear, but for now that's all you can do. Or wait for the CS5 version (if you have a 64bit OS and more than 4gb of ram) as it will be able to handle all your ram.

• 5. Re: Memory Error - Help Needed for a student
                  Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

is there any way you guys could help me. without being total ****** bags (mylenium)

Well, then provide the proper info! You came here for help and need to cooperate. Handing out insults won't get you anything :-P.  Windows performance indices are meaningless to anyone. What does 4 stand for? Could have a splendid processor and score all its points there but be otherwise totally rubbish. So, hurry up on giving us some workable facts - processor, memory, project settings, effects involved.

Mylenium