10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2010 5:19 PM by the_wine_snob

Time for a new notebook - guidance

pfield69 Level 1

Hi All,

I'm looking to upgrade my laptop and think it would be great to use this for video projects.

I researched my desktop and built it myself using the best compents I could afford. With notebooks its a bit harder as you pretty much buy it ready built with little or no customization. At present I have a Dell Studio 15 which struggles with AE, Premiere and especially Encore.

I'm on a tight budget for this (£1500max). It has to be portible as well so nothing bigger then 16"

Any help would be much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Time for a new notebook - guidance
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Forget it. The only thing close to handle editing somewhat reasonably in notebook format is a fully stocked Sager that costs $ 4 K+. They are heavy, run hot, have very short battery life and still perform way slower than a workstation. Look around some threads here about notebooks, there have been numerous questions like yours.

• 2. Re: Time for a new notebook - guidance
            Scott Chichelli Level 3

while i agree his budget wont do much for him.

the big 17" Clevo's (who sager and i sell)

are extreamly powerful and do not run hot.

i would not call a 980x under powered.

battery life? one would expect to be powered but if not 1 hour is about the norm. buy an extra battery and you get 2 hours.

with 3 internal drives (2 can be raided if needed) it performs very well.

with added Sonnet array even better

Scott

ADK

• 3. Re: Time for a new notebook - guidance
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Scott,

Yes, a fully stocked Sager will do the job nicely, especially with the i7-980X, but then such a system will be slightly over $ 5 K. I configured one yesterday for fun, and it came at $ 5,200 and a bit.

In the UK prices in GBP are often equal in number as US prices in $. So an exchange rate of 1.0. That makes it virtually impossible to get anything decent with a budget of GBP 1,500 or $ 1,500. IMO this is a waste of money.

• 4. Re: Time for a new notebook - guidance
                pfield69 Level 1

Thanks for the info.

I was looking at Dells again. I thought the Precision workstations might have done the job as the run 3D design (Catia) exceptionally well.

it has a 720qm cpu

4gb 13333mhz ddr3

FX880m 1gb graphics card

320mb hi speed drive

the 17" model lets me have either raid drives internally or ssd & hispeed data disk & a 7740 1gb gddr5 graphics card.

Both scrap inside my budget and include all the extras you would expect eg win7 x64 pro, sound card.

Massive internal storage is not necessary as I use a 2tb esata raid drive for achieve.

I looked at the Clevo site but they are as hard to find as unicorn droppings over here (UK) so would worry about support.

I have a friend who is anaward winning editor and he uses a mac notebook to do all his work (Final cut pro) so I would expect a pc to be able to compete.

What do you think of the Del spec

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?b=&c=uk&cs=ukbsdt1&kc=N4XM6502&l=en&o c=W02M6502&rbc=W02M6502&s=bsd

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?b=&c=uk&cs=ukbsdt1&kc=N4XM4502&l=en&o c=W02M4502&rbc=W02M4502&s=bsd

• 5. Re: Time for a new notebook - guidance
                  Scott Chichelli Level 3

Quadro is  a complete waste of money

the 620m (2.66GHz) Dual core with HT does better than the very slow 720 quad (1.6GHz).

good luck getting firewire to work with a Dell. (if thats how you ingest)

Scott

ADK

• 6. Re: Time for a new notebook - guidance
                    pfield69 Level 1

Thanks for that Scott.

So you are saying out and out speed is better then multi core.

Thats interesting as I use an i7 on my desktop and had to turn some cores off when I used AME (as per a tip I picked up on the forum to stop crashing).

i5 processors (and computers ) appear much cheaper.

As mentioned in my initial post I use a Dell studio 15, I have had no problems with the firewire use either for external drives or camera connection. eSATA on the other hand is a complete nightmare

• 7. Re: Time for a new notebook - guidance
                      Harm Millaard Level 7
                      Thats interesting as I use an i7 on my desktop and had to turn some cores off when I used AME (as per a tip I picked up on the forum to stop crashing).

Now that is interesting!. Never heard that before. In my case there is no need, since CS4 is utterly stable using all 4/8 cores and using them to great benefit in encoding times. It may indicate that something in your desktop system is wrong that you need to revert to these extreme measures. Possibly temps or voltages are causing this weird behavior.

• 8. Re: Time for a new notebook - guidance
                        pfield69 Level 1

Here is the link to the discussion

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1942577#1942577

Only other problems are that Encore crashes on apparently random events and that I want CS4 (in general) to do things it isn't able to do.

As I built the system myself I am confident that all is as it should be electronically and I haven't tinkered with the setting to squeeze the last once of performance. (this is good for gamers to do but not in video editing where the cpu and memory can be flat out for a reasonable amount of time and cook something in the process).

Its no real heartache as I hardly use it and then only for little bits of clips.

• 9. Re: Time for a new notebook - guidance
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm,

If the OP is in the UK, I have been told that Sagers cannot be sold there.

I'm a bit curious as to what you spec'ed. out, as I looked at a full-tilt unit, basically the NOW version of what I have, and was surprised to see it come in for about US$600 less than my laptop, and probably faster by a factor of 10x. Heck, I thought I had thrown in everything but the kitchen sink!

Were you factoring in exchange rates, or were those the US$ costs from Sager? Just curious, as all my $ will be going to a new workstation, and Win7 for CS5, and the laptop will be on CS2 Production Studio, until it wears out. Then, maybe I will have hit the Irish Lottery, or something...

Hunt

• 10. Re: Time for a new notebook - guidance
                            pfield69 Level 1

Hi Bill,

I am in the UK and could source a Sager but as mentioned I'll get no support.

Given the Dell spec is a reasonably high performance machine surely this should work at a good level?

(Budget usd2300)