14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2010 5:02 PM by RASouthworth

ACR edits lost in CR4

Stacy Rosenstock Level 1

I recently noticed after upgrading to ACR 5.6 that edits to NEF files, such as brightness, contrast, saturation, CA correction, etc, weren't being saved after clicking "OK" and closing the ACR window in Bridge. I tried opening NEF files directly in PhotoShop and experienced the same issue - when the files were reopened they had been reset to the default. So I surmised the issue was with ACR rather than Bridge or PhotoShop.

Since there doesn't seem to be any script to remove ACR, and the ACR install script won't install where a previous version exists, I tried removing CS4 entirely and then going back to my original disk, completely  reinstalling PhotoShop CS4, with upgrades. Unfortunately the issue persists.

Has anyone else experienced this issue and found a solution? Can anyone confirm that ACR 5.6 actually works on an old PowerPC G5 Mac?

First time around I accidently posted this in the Windows section.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/310740?tstart=11

Stacy

• 1. Re: ACR edits lost in CR4
          RASouthworth Level 3

I'm confused by your reference to "OK" - one has to click Open Image or Done to retain the edits.  Cancel or Save Image discards the edits.

Richard Southworth

• 2. Re: ACR edits lost in CR4
            Stacy Rosenstock Level 1

Sorry about the confusion. That should've been changes weren't being saved after clicking "done" and closing the ACR window in Bridge.

• 3. Re: ACR edits lost in CR4
              Yammer Level 4

Could be a problem with sidecar files. If, for some reason, the program can't write the metadata (in a sidecar, or to the raw file itself - depending on settings) then it won't remember your develop settings the next time. Maybe your files or folders are read-only? Just a guess.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: ACR edits lost in CR4
                Stacy Rosenstock Level 1

That sounds like a possible explanation but I've already run Disk Utility on both disks several times. Sidecar files are showing they were modified  at times corresponding to the times I tried to edit the NEF  files and do seem to include changes to white balance etc. Maybe ACR  isn't reading the .xmp file when the .NEF is reloaded?

• 5. Re: ACR edits lost in CR4
                  Level 4

Stacy Rosenstock wrote:

… the ACR install script won't install where a previous version exists, I tried removing CS4 entirely and then going back to my original disk,

That's inaccurate.  There's always a version of ACR.  The default installation from the original disks installs Camera Raw 5.0.

Stacy Rosenstock wrote:

… Can anyone confirm that ACR 5.6 actually works on an old PowerPC G5 Mac?

Yes, I can confirm that.  It works both in Tiger 11.4.11 on G5s and G4s here.

• 6. Re: ACR edits lost in CR4
                    Level 4

Do you happen to have the nefarious Nikon software installed?  That can conflict with ACR.

• 7. Re: ACR edits lost in CR4
                      Stacy Rosenstock Level 1

What exactly do you mean by  "the nefarious Nikon software?" I've had Nikon Scan installed on this computer for years because I also use PhotoShop with my Nikon CoolScan 5000. Until now that hasn't been a problem.

Also, .NEF files I edited in February still show changes when I go back and open those. In fact I just went back and made some changes to a February file. Not only did the edit appear in thethumbnail but the changes were there when I re-opened the file. Whatever this is seems to only effects new files.

• 8. Re: ACR edits lost in CR4
                        Level 4

Stacy Rosenstock wrote:

What exactly do you mean by  "the nefarious Nikon software?"

Installing the Nikon software that came with your camera, or the one you have to buy (whatever it's called, Nikon Capture or something like that), had the nasty habit of installing a Nikon plug-in behind your back to do what ACR does.  That's the nefarious one that can conflict with ACR.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 9. Re: ACR edits lost in CR4
                          Yammer Level 4

So, it sounds like your changes are being saved, but they are not being seen when you re-open the NEF. Peculiar. Can you confirm that develop settings are retained in XMP files after they are opened a second time, or are they reset?

Anything which springs to mind doersn't explain what you are seeing. It's almost as if Camera Raw is somehow broken, which is unlikely, as it is a single file. So I'm guessing that the problem is related to the operating system, file system, or conflicting software. Can you think of anything else which has changed on your computer at around the time your problems started?

• 10. Re: ACR edits lost in CR4
                            RASouthworth Level 3

I own a couple of Mac's, but I'm not nearly as proficient with them as with pc's.  The xmp files are in text format, you can open them with textedit or similar and read the contents.  They should be in the same folder with the raw files - check your acr preferences to make sure you're creating sidecar files instead of a database, although either should work.

I don't have any more "bullets" to contribute, hope you find the solution.  I googled some interesting reading but nothing obvious to help your situation.  Make sure you have all the CS4 updates applied, some words of a similar problem to yours if not updated.

Richard Southworth

• 11. Re: ACR edits lost in CR4
                              Stacy Rosenstock Level 1

Not only are the changes being saved in the sidecar .xmp files but I just discovered that if I open the files in Lightroom, (v2.5 using  ACR v5.5) and make changes to color temperature, contrast, etc, those changes are then read in Bridge!

EDIT: Maybe not. I tried to duplicate that and it didn't happen. I've been over this so many times I'm beginning to get dizzy

Anyway, I've also noticed that this only seems to happen with .NEF files created after mid February. All of the files I've checked made prior to then are treated normally by Bridge.

I'm running Leopard (10.5.8) on this G5 and the only changes I can think of since February were a couple of Security updates from Apple, and an update to iTunes, and a recent update to ACR. The only change to the camera I can think of was when I moved the clock forward for Daylight Savings Time.

It is interesting that CS4 and Lightroom seem to be using different versions of ACR. Lightroom reports v5.5 while I now have Bridge using v5.2.   I wonder if that could be the problem.

• 12. Re: ACR edits lost in CR4
                                RASouthworth Level 3

You should be using either CR 5.6 (in CS4) or CR 5.7 beta.  I invoke updates from the Help menu, don't know if it is the same on your Mac.

Richard Southworth

• 13. Re: ACR edits lost in CR4
                                  Stacy Rosenstock Level 1

It looks like I get to answer my own question. Turns out my D300 was set to the wrong date.

This afternoon I began to wonder if the problem was with the Nikon .NEF files so I downloaded some files using Lightroom and then tried browsing them in Bridge. Normally I use Nikon Transfer but I thought I'd try it differently just in case there was some sort of conflict as Wo Tai Lao Le suggested.

Much to my surprise ACR and Bridge didn't seem to have any problem retaining edits when the files were reloaded. I guess Lightroom downloads images differently, in some way, from Nikon Transfer. I have Lightroom set to automatically transfer files into a various folders according to the date they were shot. In the process I noticed that I had accidently set the camera's to 2011, when I moved the camera's clock forward for Daylight Savings Time.

All of my recent photos are dated April xx 2011. So I turned the camera's clock back to 2010 and ACR/Bridge is reading and saving edits from today's shoot just fine. I guess ACR doesn't like reading files from the future that are downloaded with Nikon Transfer.

Thanks to everyone for all your help and suggestions,

Stacy

• 14. Re: ACR edits lost in CR4
                                    RASouthworth Level 3

Stacey,

That's very interesting and useful information, thanks.

Richard Southworth