17 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2010 6:44 PM by quickstopme

Forum Community - Catalyst CS5 release

nat.b

Dear Adobe,

Your beta-testers have come from various backgrounds and had different skill levels - some have contributed more, others less. I've followed the forum from early on and experienced the participants as well-behaved, constructive, patient with limitations and very positive about this product.

We've waited for the launch event and by the time FC ships and administrative procedures for work-place software ordering are followed another 6-8 weeks will have elapsed.

I would like to suggest that in appreciation of our contribution, you might give the forum some information as to what changes and new features we can definitely/possibly expect in the release version. This would be a tremendous help for those of us who have near-production stuff waiting to be finalized.

Perhaps if too many things are uncertain, you could dole out the information bit by bit - five facts a day or something like that.

Thank you and thanks for a super software product,

Natalie

• 1. Re: Forum Community - Catalyst CS5 release
          Brad Lawryk Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Natalie,

There is already a lot of great videos of all the new features on the web. Terry White has a great video here.There are many more as well.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/flash-catalyst-cs5-feature-tour/flash-catalyst-cs5-feature-tour- /

Is that what you need?

Brad Lawryk
          Adobe Community Professional: Dreamweaver
          Northern British Columbia Adobe Usergroup: Manager

• 2. Re: Forum Community - Catalyst CS5 release
            nat.b Level 1

Hello Brad,

Thanks for quick response, but, no, most beta-testers are a bit further along than this.

I mean something more along the lines of:

- Is there still a maximum for the number of states?

- Can the order of pages be rearranged after initial creation?

- Are there new tools/shapes in the toolbox?

- Have any of the suggestions for text-handling been taken on board?

- Is there a clean-up feature for unused library items?

- Can library items be exported individually?

- Can more than one project be opened at a time?

- Is the code-view now editable?

etc.

Nat

• 3. Re: Forum Community - Catalyst CS5 release
              Brad Lawryk Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Ah! Sorry, can't help ya ... lol

All good questions though

Brad Lawryk

Adobe Community Professional: Dreamweaver

Northern British Columbia Adobe Usergroup: Manager

• 4. Re: Forum Community - Catalyst CS5 release
                web2miles

I agree with Natalie, how annoying is it that  you cant

re-arrange states after they have been created; I expected to be able to drag and drop the states

left and right and put them in name order or process order!

Also I have been frustrated with navigation, I want to build a datalist of my customers, on the list i want 6 buttons. I do property related business, so want to choose to edit customer, view users of that company, view properties associated with that customer, view projects requeste by a customer, email the customer, view financial history of the customer and stuff like that... I built the visual display, a table row with icons for each feature listed above, so i want the repeated region to be the table row and the customer data (text like name, contact, telephone) plus the icons i mentioned. BUT I tried that and the buttons dont show up on the design time data columns??  Plus It doesnt seem possible to navigate out of one component into another??

I just cant wait to buy the software and be able to call someone for support; BUT dont want to buy the software if it is severely restriced and only suitable for simple apps.

My app is designed to create a collaborative working enviroment between lots of property professionals and need to build some complex user interface screens for around 8 different user groups.  If you can help at all, please email me at web2stu@hotmail.com; I will start a new topic actually and see if anyone else is stuck on the same thing? I called adobe but they just said read the forums!  No support available yet!   aaahhhh!

• 5. Re: Forum Community - Catalyst CS5 release
                  acath Level 4

Hi guys,

We absolutely appreciate your feedback on the beta release. I'm preparing a list of major changes from Beta 2 to CS5 and will post it shortly.

Thanks,

Adam

• 6. Re: Forum Community - Catalyst CS5 release
                    acath Level 4

Hi guys,

Below is a list of the major changes between Flash Catalyst Beta 2 and CS5, which is now available for preorder (http://www.adobe.com/products/flashcatalyst/).

- Overall polish: improved performance, stability, and completeness. We aimed to filled in the most obvious gaps in the most common workflows.

- Large performance improvements for larger projects. You can now work on a large project indefinitely without running out of memory.

- New "Edit in Photoshop" feature allows you to make fine visual changes to a project created from a Photoshop file, or any individual bitmap.

- New "Convert to linked image" feature optimizes your deployed SWF size by loading the image at runtime, rather than embedding it in the SWF.

- New "Sound Effect" action allows you to play a sound during a timeline.

- New helper effects now appear in the timeline (denoted in yellow). These help you producing smooth transitions in certain complex cases.

- More options when creating smooth transitions in the timeline.

- New "Rasterize" feature quickly and easily converts structured artwork to a bitmap.

- The HUD is smaller, streamlined, and more helpful. The new "Optimize" section gives you easy access to commands that will minimize the SWF size and maximize the performance of your project.

- You can now edit screenreader label ("accessibility text") for components in the properties panel.

- You can now paste bitmaps into Flash Catalyst from the clipboard.

- Flash Catalyst is now localized into French, German, Japanese, and Korean, with the ability to set the language from the preferences dialog.

- New project updater upgrades Beta 2 projects to CS5.

- Approximately two thousand bug fixes and small enhancements.

I'd be happy to answer specific questions about all those small enhancements in a follow-up post.

-Adam

• 7. Re: Forum Community - Catalyst CS5 release
                      nat.b Level 1

Hi Adam,

Thanks ever so much!

From my original post I would  especially like to know about the library questions, more than one project open, editable code and if the tool box has been explanded - dotted lines, for example - a very small enhancement  8] .

Nat

• 8. Re: Forum Community - Catalyst CS5 release
                        acath Level 4

Hi Nat,

Unfortunately, none of those things were changed. However, a better workflow between design and development is high on the list for the next version...

Have you posted your drawing tools requests on the ideas site (http://ideas.adobe.com/labs)?

-Adam

• 9. Re: Forum Community - Catalyst CS5 release
                          mfvisuals

Can somebody help me get the pre-release off my system so I can try the trial of the CS5 version?

I put up a thread about my problem already in this forum.

Thanks.

• 10. Re: Forum Community - Catalyst CS5 release
                            nat.b Level 1

Someone else did so before me. I commented and promoted - along with several other people!

How very disappointing!! I don't want a better work flow with developer - Catalyst has about 90% of what's needed to be a stand-alone graphics editor and website creator - but, e.g., making dotted lines out of periods and colons destroys the professional look of the rest of the presentation.

Re: the library: Perhaps you can give some advice if there's a better way to organize what I'm trying to do.

I'm illustrating software processes - that means lots of boxes, code snippets, arrows and such. These move, change color, get a word highlighted, etc, so they can't be highly grouped.

A typical presentation has about 18 pages - intro, 6-8 cases, conclusion - these have texts and a menu-bar at the top with page-change buttons (like a viewstack in Flexbuilder 3). Each case page then has a 'co-page' linked to it by a start button. Each co-page simply provides a space for an animation - each animation gets brought in as a custom component (20-state maximum). Each animation itself has roughly ten steps with buttons (user views at own speed) and about 100 objects.

We're doing this as mix of rapid-prototying and refining in place, so some case-animations are in a preliminary status, some more advanced and some are destined to be pulled out and moved to another presentation package.

Within one project, between cases I can do a lot with copy-and-paste style work. But when I have an animation ready, there's no easy way to pull it out and put it in a cleaned-up project name/stucture or move/reuse it in a second presentation.

If it were possible to have two projects open at the same time, I could simply drag-and-drop/copy-and-paste the updated custom component in its layer across to the new position. Alternatively if it were possible to export the updated custom component individually I could then import it for reuse.

Either way it would be a five-minute job. As it is now I have to export it all, then remove the 10 text pages and their control buttons, then the 5-7 non-finished animations with their 50-60 buttons - to reduce it down to the desired custom component with its 10 buttons. This is about a full day's work, it's difficult because there are dozens of very similar names and it's error-prone because you eventually lose your place.

Sorry for the long post, but ...

I think my setup conforms to how you folks have been advising us to construct/modularize our projects. I thought the library problems were because you folks wanted to get something up quickly. I feel very let down that this issue, mentioned early on in the forum, hasn't been addressed at all.

Nat

• 11. Re: Forum Community - Catalyst CS5 release
                              acath Level 4

Hi Nat,

I'm sorry to hear your disappointment!  Let me try to address some of your issues:

1.  Dotted lines: you can created dashed lines in AI, FW, or PS and import them into FC.

2.  It sounds like you're doing some sophisticated stuff with the library. I'd like to understand your need better. It sounds like the core of the problem is: you are prototyping in one project and creating a production piece in another project, and you'd like to easily move stuff between projects. Is that right?

Remember that this only is version 1.0, and we'll be evolving a lot of these things over time. Your input is really valuable as we continue to evolve the product.

-Adam

• 12. Re: Forum Community - Catalyst CS5 release
                                nat.b Level 1

Hi Adam,

1) I don't have CS4 - when I asked for it, my request got chopped to Flash Pro only. Also, while I realize you guys would like to sell more products, I wish to make the point that FC is easy to use, and with a little more fixing up, very saleable to people who don't have the time to learn the mentioned products.

And not having tons of file directories to keep in order is also a big plus!

2) Yes, I want to make my structure setup, import custom components, shift things within the project, and then be able to possibly move a specific (updated) custom component for reuse in another project. Custom components take a little work to figure out initially, but the real problem is that you bring them in one-by-one and it's very easy, but there's no easy way to take them back out one-by-one, if necessary.

I should rephrase: If there's any easy way I haven't found it yet.

Thanks,

Nat

• 13. Re: Forum Community - Catalyst CS5 release
                                  Chris W. Griffith Adobe Community Professional

I'll try to answer some of these:

- Is there still a maximum for the number of states?

Yes. If I am not mistaken it is 20. The solution is to bundle elements within their own component.

- Can the order of pages be rearranged after initial creation?

No.

- Are there new tools/shapes in the toolbox?

No.

- Have any of the suggestions for text-handling been taken on board?

That one is for the team.

- Is there a clean-up feature for unused library items?

No.

- Can library items be exported individually?

No.

- Can more than one project be opened at a time?

No.

- Is the code-view now editable?

No.

But I know that these are things that the team is looking at for the next release. Your feedback helps move these desires up in the que.

• 14. Re: Forum Community - Catalyst CS5 release
                                    acath Level 4

Hi Nat,

I agree it's an unfortunate limitation that you can't export or import individual custom components. As a workaround, how about exporting/importing your whole component library, than deleting the ones you don't want? It's cumbersome, of course, but it would work, I think?

-Adam

• 15. Re: Forum Community - Catalyst CS5 release
                                      nat.b Level 1

Hi Adam,

It does work! - as I described in my long post. The problem is just that if I structure my application the way I think you folks have been advising us to do, after exporting, I then have to manually delete literally about a hundred items one-by-one from the library, which is VERY cumbersome - and error prone as the library window jumps back to base after every change.

To recap, and wrap this up:

I have an application with multiple pages/states, and page-change interactions plus control buttons as a first tier. Several of these pages have, as a second tier, their own individual custom component - these again each having multiple pages/states, interactions and controls.

I need from time to time to take one of these custom components out from a rapid prototype version and put it into a clean production application version.

I had hoped that with Release 1.0, that I would either be able to open two instances/windows of FC and copy-and-paste or that single components could be exported from the library.

Neither  of these has happened. Is there some other way which I haven't thought of or tried? If not will some solution be forthcoming, and any time soon?

Thanks again. Please realize that I'm not just fixated on my personal problem - this IS a usability issue for medium size applications.

Nat

• 16. Re: Forum Community - Catalyst CS5 release
                                        acath Level 4

Hi Nat,

Thanks for all the additional detail. I understand the limitation, and unfortunately, can't think of a better way to do what you're doing than the way you're doing it. Of course, FC CS5 does not address all the possible usability problems and limitations that were in Beta 2, so your continued input is really valuable as we continue to evolve the product. Could you make sure your idea for opening multiple projects is listed on the ideas site (http://ideas.adobe.com/labs)?

Thanks,

Adam

• 17. Re: Forum Community - Catalyst CS5 release
                                          quickstopme

I would love in the future to be able to "edit in InDesign".