2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2007 7:48 AM by Applied CD

Must we be confined to the mediocratey of mpeg 1?

Cant Spell
      This has been bugging me for some time now. I spend most of my days cramming fancy compositing and special effects in to intensely boring corporate videos and it REALLY gets on my wick when I have to export them in mpeg1 for a CD-ROM. All that time and effort making things look shiny and nice ruined by this stone age compression. I plead with the people that help code our CD-ROMs to expore the compressional joys of mpeg2, mpeg4 or hell, I would even use a Windows media codec over mpeg1. BUT apparently even the mighty mpeg advance extra requires some additional software to be installed to play mpeg2s and mpeg4s and some spaz in the dark coner of the globe won’t like installing it on his copy of window 95 BC edition!

I am very keen to prove them wrong and find a beter way so does anyone know a solution? We don’t really make CD-ROMs for MACs so that makes things easier, probably! And I had a good look through the extras but could not see anything that would just run off the CD without relying on them having codecs installed or stealthily installing things so thay work?

Tell me Gods of Director, is it possible?
        • 1. Re: Must we be confined to the mediocratey of mpeg 1?
          johnAq Level 1
          What frame size do you create at and what size do you compress the MPEG1 at?
          Can you get more out the format by increasing frame size and data rate?

Apart from that Flash video can play in Director and doesn't require any installed codec

• 2. Re: Must we be confined to the mediocratey of mpeg 1?
            Applied CD Level 1
            Well, I’m not a Director God so I’m going to suggest a low tech solution. I would also like to offer the following disclaimer: I have not tried this myself, frankly, IMHO if the user’s computer is from the last century broadcast quality video is probably the least of their worries ;-) We get around this problem by making XP-SP2 the minimum spec although most of our multimedia will in fact play on Win 2K and 2003 if the media player is up to date (for the codec’s)

How about supplying two video formats, a low bandwidth MPG1 for ancient machines and something more recent like 720x480 MPG 2 or 4 for more recent computers. You could use a variation of the following script to test for a particular codec or you could use Buddy API to detect the OS vintage (you might even find a way to get the directX version) and make an educated guess on available codec’s. Once you know which codecs are available, branch and display the appropriate video.

Codec detection script (old but probably still works): http://www.mediamacros.com/item/item-1005643990/