4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2010 8:42 AM by Jim Lester

couldn't open half my books, now to many activations

whasittoya

Hey, so my problems started after I downloaded Sony Reader Library, since then I can no longer open books I purchased in digital editions or

in reader library. It says "document licensed for a different user account" when I try to open a book.

After going through all the advice offered by the online support person I ended up with an "account has to manny activations" message. The support person said they would re-set that, and that I should take a screen shot of the error message. My account was never reset, and I can't take a screen shot of it until it is. I was then told that my case would be escalated (WTF?) so they could reset my account. That was a month ago. I have sent numerous messages since then, even tried starting a new case, all to no avail or response. This is really frustrating.

Case #0181472423

• 1. Re: couldn't open half my books, now to many activations
          Jim Lester Level 4

After reading this post and the tech support notes, I strongly suspect that Sony created a second AdobeID for you.  You should have gotten an email when they did this, and it  will typically happen if your Sony ID is different than your Adobe ID.  Since this happens during installation of Sony EBL, it activates your computer for the new AdobeID (which renders the exisiting content unreadable because of the licensed to a different account error).

After you confirmed that this is indeed the problem, then to get this fixed (and it is a known problem acknowledged by Sony), you will need to contact Sony so that they can associate your Sony Account with the correct AdobeID, and give you redownload links for all content purchased from Sony so that it can be licensed to the correct AdobeID (the old one).

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: couldn't open half my books, now to many activations
            whasittoya Level 1

Thank you so much! Know I just have to figure out what my previous ID was...

I did not get an email when my account was changed.

• 3. Re: couldn't open half my books, now to many activations
              whasittoya Level 1

Ok, I carefully went through my records, and exhausted all other possibilities and from what I can tell this is my original adobe ID.

I am sure that my computer was activated with an ID because I transfered content between computers when I switched computers 2 years ago. Is there any way that their could be to ID's set up for this email that are somehow not associated?

• 4. Re: couldn't open half my books, now to many activations
                Jim Lester Level 4

First see what your current AdobeID is by going to ADE and selecting "Authorize Computer" from the Library menu, see if it is the AdobeID you think it should be.

Then just to make sure create a different OS user account.

Logged into the new user, Authorize Digital Editions with the AdobeID you think is your original.

Try to open up the books that you currently can't open up.

If you can successfully open the books that you cannot currently open then that is your original AdobeID.

If this doesn't work, then email me two of the documents (one that you can open, and one that you can't open), and I can tell you the AdobeIDs associated with each.