9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2010 2:13 AM by Yammer

Which of the camera Raw plug-in folders do I move out/in?

jckarbow

I have photoshop elements 8.0. I recently installed Camera Raw 5.6 update. The instructions say to move the existing Camera Raw.8bi plug in to another folder. Then move the new plug in into the existing folder which is Photoshop Elements 8.0:C\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\Elements 8\File Formats\. My question is which files do I move out? Do I move all which are Filmstrip.8bi, PCX.8BI, Targa.8Bi & WBMP.8BI out of the folder? Also do I move all of the following into this same folder: Win64, Camera Raw8bi & Camera Profiles.exe?

• 1. Re: Which of the camera Raw plug-in folders do I move out/in?
          Yammer Level 4

Camera Raw is a single file called Camera Raw.8bi. To update it, they recommend you move out the existing plug-in file from wherever it lives on your file system to a 'safe place', and replace it with the new one. I've no experience of the 64-bit versions, but I'd guess that on 64-bit systems there are 32-bit and 64-bit versions already on your hard drive in obviously-named locations.

• 2. Re: Which of the camera Raw plug-in folders do I move out/in?
            jckarbow Level 1

I understand I have to move the Camera Raw.8bi out but in the folder they recommended I move it from which is listed in prior posting it doesn't specifically have that name in the file, Camera Raw.8bi, but the 5 I mentioned. Is it considered the whole folder(all 5)?

• 3. Re: Which of the camera Raw plug-in folders do I move out/in?
              Yammer Level 4

That is the correct location of the plug-in, so if it's not there already, it should be. You should have only one copy of Camera Raw.8bi in that folder. If it's already in a different folder then it shouldn't be, remove it. Ignore the other files you mention - just leave them where they are.

CameraProfiles.exe is an installation file. Run it, and it should install the profiles in the correct location for you.

Ignore the Win64 bit.

• 4. Re: Which of the camera Raw plug-in folders do I move out/in?
                jckarbow Level 1

OK I removed the old Camera Raw and placed it in another file. I ran Camera Profiles.exe and also copy and pasted the new Camera Raw.8bi into the existing file. I then opened Adobe Elements and hooked up Canon Camera to the computer to get the RAW images in. I recieved the pop up I orginally recieved that started this forum "Cannot obtain all files from this device. Please ensure that the device is connected properly, or that the battery is charged. The files that have been obtained till now will be sent to Elements Organizer." I know the battery is charged. This pop up occurs once it shows the Raw images. Why is this not working for me?

• 5. Re: Which of the camera Raw plug-in folders do I move out/in?
                  Yammer Level 4

Does the Camera Raw plug-in work with existing raw files? (i.e. can you verify it is installed properly).

Your latest problem is partly related to the downloader software. I found a thread on the internet which blamed incomplete creation of thumbnails, another which blamed third party downloaders, and one which blamed Norton software.

• 6. Re: Which of the camera Raw plug-in folders do I move out/in?
                    jckarbow Level 1

Did you mean the downloaded software "Photoshop Elements"? Would I need to shut something off in my Norton program to get these photos? I did open a old CR2 file in PS8 but still am not able to upload my CR2 files from the camera. I know this camera is compatible with this plug in! Also I have some great .RAW images that were not able to open. The pop up said "Could not complete your request because it is not a valid photoshop document." I'm not as concerned with this as I am with the CR2's on my camera. i would love to start a project with this new PSE program but am stuck:(

• 7. Re: Which of the camera Raw plug-in folders do I move out/in?
                      Yammer Level 4

So, if you can open old CR2 files with Camera Raw, then the plug-in is working. Your problem is with other software.

I'm not familiar with Photoshop Elements. If this is the software you are using to download your photos from your camera, then this is where the problem lies. If no one can help you here, I suggest posting to the Elements for Windows forum.

I don't know what a .RAW file is. Which camera is that from?

The comments about Norton etc. are from a quick Google using your error message. It would be easier if you tried it yourself, rather than me attempting to explain.

• 8. Re: Which of the camera Raw plug-in folders do I move out/in?
                        ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In reply to several messages in this thread:

On my computer which has PSE8 installed, I only have one file in the folder

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\Elements 8\File Formats\

and that file is named Camera RAW.8bi and so I would be able to follow Adobe's instructions. 

The folder I think you are looking in, a folder that has those 5 files and no camera-raw plugin is:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 8.0\Plug-Ins\File Formats

Notice that you've skipped the Common Files part of the folder path and once you correct that, I think you'll find the file you are looking for.

If not, then search your entire hard-drive for "Camera RAW.8bi" and see where it resides.

BTW, ACR 5.7 was just released tonight, so the "latest" version of Camera RAW is now 5.7.

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/

• 9. Re: Which of the camera Raw plug-in folders do I move out/in?
                          Yammer Level 4

Good catch!

I hadn't thought to check which folder contained the other plugins mentioned above. Assuming there's a common and application-specific plugins folder, like CS4, the Camera Raw plugin needs to be in the common folder (as correctly described in the original post) not the Elements-specific plugins folder, which appears to be where the OP has copied the file).