8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2010 10:00 AM by the_wine_snob

Does Premiere Pro CS5 support Smart Rendering

tjh65 Level 1

Please can anyone tell me if Premiere Pro CS5 supports smart rendering for H264/AVCHD or is it still required to by the Mainconcept plugin.

• 1. Re: Does Premiere Pro CS5 support Smart Rendering
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I assume that by "smart Rendering," you are referring to the ability to keep MPEG footage in its native format, and so long as nothing has been changed to it, not re-Transcode on Export. Is that correct?

Unfortunately, I cannot answer the question, but do remember that if anything is done, say Effects, areas with Transitions, Titles over the footage, PiP, etc., it would have to be re-Transcoded anyway, as the Video has been altered.

Maybe Harm, or Curt can directly address your queston.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Does Premiere Pro CS5 support Smart Rendering
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Short answer: Nope.

Mainconcept HD plugin is required.

• 3. Re: Does Premiere Pro CS5 support Smart Rendering
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Bill,

Usually when one participates in a beta program, like I did with PerfectDisk 11, one has to sign a NDA, which prohibits people from talking about the intricacies, features or capabilities of the program untill the NDA is lifted. Adobe has the same approach, so the old adagio still holds:

Those who know don't tell, those who tell don't know.

The one exception on beta programs that I'm aware off is Pixelan SpiceMaster, where I at least did not need to sign a NDA, but even then I will definitely consult Michael before I will utter anything on a forum. RedGiant, Synthetic Aperture, Minnetonka, and similar companies all require NDA's, so those participating in a beta program will have to keep their mouth shut till the NDA is lifted.

I understand the interest, jeez, I would like to know all the ins and outs as well and see benchmark results on the impact of MPE, but I think we better not behave as pre-school youngsters that want a candy. Wait a couple of weeks and everything will become abundantly clear. I mean CS5 is not expected to ship before mid May, so what is the rush now?

Just my 0.02

• 4. Re: Does Premiere Pro CS5 support Smart Rendering
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm,

I am well aware of the NDA's, but with the various Help files being posted, had hoped that such might be covered in there somewhere, however deeply it might be buried.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Does Premiere Pro CS5 support Smart Rendering
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Bill,

When searching the Help file for rendering or smart rendering nothing turns up.

• 6. Re: Does Premiere Pro CS5 support Smart Rendering
                    tjh65 Level 1

The reason for asking is planning. For me Smart Rendering is mandatory as it preserves quaility and saves alot of time. Switching to CS5 means changing to windows 7 64 bit with its millions of new bugs. I usually wait for several years for Microsoft to fix the bugs before using a new version. Usually it also take several months for Mainconcept to get Adobe to fix the bugs for thier plugin to work.

• 7. Re: Does Premiere Pro CS5 support Smart Rendering
                      Harm Millaard Level 7
                      Usually it also take several months for Mainconcept to get Adobe to fix the bugs for thier plugin to work.

Utterly wrong. Adobe does not need to fix things for a plug-in, the plug-in supplier needs to fix his plug-in, and unfortunately I have been bitten by the MainConcept bug several times and gotten refunds on their buggy plug-ins that I bought, but I still have a bad taste about them.

Switching to CS5 means changing to windows 7 64 bit with its millions of new bugs. I usually wait for several years for Microsoft to fix the bugs before using a new version.

That is not true either. Win7 is the best OS Microsoft ever brought to market. Do you prefer to use EOL products? Stick to XP 32 till 2018.

• 8. Re: Does Premiere Pro CS5 support Smart Rendering
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

You might want to look into Sony Vegas Pro. IIRC, it does support smart rendering, but I could be wrong about that. Vegas is one NLE that I have never used.

Good luck,

Hunt