4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2010 4:06 PM by the_wine_snob

How do I limit image files to specific projects

don_austin

I'm a new user of premier elements 8 and I'm having a hard time understanding how to limit a project to only recognize a set of imported pictures

Example

Project A -  I import 200 JPEG pictures to use in creating a movie. Everything works fine

Project B - I create a new project and import another 200 pictures through the Get Media command. Unfortunately, the 200 pictures from the original project show  are also listed/shown in the media window. Premier elements sees 400 pictures.  I don't need the original 200 pictures. I want my new project B to only recognize new pictures that I'm importing

How can I accomplish this?

The reason I ask, is that the additonal picture overhead is causing me to run out of memory and causing my system to crash. The help files offer zero assistance.

• 1. Re: How do I limit image files to specific projects
          nealeh Level 5

If you are in the Organiser tab then all clips, stills and audio imported into PRE will be displayed. Once you have included clips into Project B the Project view in the Edit tab will show only those items included in your project. You may import a clip to your project and then decide not to use it. In this case Used column will be blank and you can clear the item from the project.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: How do I limit image files to specific projects
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

As Neale points out, PrE 8 really has two views of Assets, and two similar, but different functions.

One is the Organizer, which is an Asset cataloging function. In some Video editing programs, this is often a separate program. An example of this is PrPro, which has Bridge (now Media Browser), that is not visible directly in PrPro, but is available from within the program, or can be launched as a stand-alone app. In PrE 8, this is built into the program.

Next, one has the Project Panel, which is like a mini-Organizer, but is limited to just the Assets IN the Open Project. When one does New Project, this is empty, until one Imports Assets into the Project, or Captures from a mini DV tape camera.

Now, in the case of the second, the Project Panel, if one does a Capture, those Assets are also being entered into the Organizer, but that Panel is usually out of sight, so one does not usually observe this happening.

Some users (myself included) never do much with Organizer, and only see the Project Panel, while editing. Others do much more from Organizer, so it is usually one of the Panels, that they have visible. It just depends on the user and on how they work. Personally, I like the layout of PrPro, where I have to launch Bridge/Media Browser, before I see it, and before it starts to catalog Assets. Others really like that  part of the operation to take place for them and to be available with just a click away - changing the tab that is viewed.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How do I limit image files to specific projects
              don_austin Level 1

Bill, Neale

Thank you for the information. I haven't had a chance to try your suggestion yet, but will certainly do so. There is so much I can do in the sw application that I am still trying to find my way around. I haven't tried organizer yet, but I had already discovered the project panel.

It still seems that the objects in the media cache are eating up the memory/virtual memory of the machine. I suspect it is the size of my photos that is limiting the # of photos that I can work with and causing the application to crash and limit my ability to do any videos longer than about 15 minutes.

Again, Thank you for the suggestions

Don

• 4. Re: How do I limit image files to specific projects
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                I suspect it is the size of my photos that is limiting the # of photos that I can work with and causing the application to crash and limit my ability to do any videos longer than about 15 minutes.

Don,

If you are referring to still images, this ARTICLE might be useful. By Scaling to the Frame Size of the Project in PS/PSE, one actually gets higher quality and much lower-overhead on the Project.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - while I have used PrE 4 for some time, I have only looked at Organizer once - just have not found a reason, but then I use PrPro and Bridge for most of that sort of stuff.