5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2010 7:27 PM by - JM -

anti-alias option for pencil

- JM - Level 3

sure you can do this with the brush tool, but wouldn't it be nice to quickly pickup the pencil tool with anti-aliased edges without having to change your brush settings. And as features go this is just one check box away from being done.

• 1. Re: anti-alias option for pencil
          - JM - Level 3

it's even curious as to why we have the option to adjust the hardness of a pencil edge when it doesn't effect anything......

• 2. Re: anti-alias option for pencil
            Level 7

How does the pencil differ from the paint brush:  the brush is thresholded to give a hard edge.

If you want a soft edge, the pencil tool is the wrong tool to use.

If you want a hard edge, and no chance of anti-aliasing, then the pencil tool is the correct choice.

• 3. Re: anti-alias option for pencil
              - JM - Level 3

>If you want a soft edge, the pencil tool is the wrong tool to use.

that's why I posted in the feature request area : )

I understand the difference, I'm just saying that it would be nice to grab a hard/anti-aliased pencil for quick markups, tweaking masks etc. without having to change my current brush.

The thought was to add an option to a very, very limited tool.  Anti-aliased  or no Anti-aliasing.  2 options that's all.

thanks

• 4. Re: anti-alias option for pencil
                Level 7

The point of the pencil tool is that it is hard edged, not soft.

Adding soft edges defeats the purpose of the tool, and repeats functionality from the brush tool.

• 5. Re: anti-alias option for pencil
                  - JM - Level 3

> repeats functionality from the brush tool.

that's the best thing about PS, that there are so many overlapping concepts/tools. This wouldn't destroy the lowly pencil tool it can still be hard-edged, but also give it more life to do other things with an anti-aliased option. It's always wanted to be something more than just be a hard-edged pencil. Because if we follow the idea of redundant tools we might as well just remove the pencil tool and give us an option for a hard-edged brush and put the pencil to pasture.