7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2010 2:51 AM by Missteach

P7 Horizontal Scroller

Missteach Level 1

Hello,

I want to use 'P7's horizontal scroller magic' on each page of a 20 page site to produce a 'ticker tape' effect.

The client need to update this with 'Contribute'.  Will he have to update every page it features in their site.  Or can I insert it as a library item that only needs updating once on the home page?  Will this then be reflected in every page it is featured on?

Thanks

• 1. Re: P7 Horizontal Scroller
          John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I suggest you post this question at the PVII Webdev forum. Their support is excellent and is specific to their products.

http://www.projectseven.com/support/index.htm

I'm not sure if it's possible to update HSM with Contribute. Al Sparber will be able to confirm for sure.

>>>Or can I insert it as a library item that only needs updating once on the home page?  Will this then be reflected in every page it is featured on?

That's not how Library Items work.

When a Library item is edited locally in DW, DW locally updates the code on every page where the Library item appears but then you have to re-upload every affected page. If the LIbrary item appears on 20 pages, you have to re-upload all 20 pages.

Server side includes are the way to do what you have in mind.

• 2. Re: P7 Horizontal Scroller
            Missteach Level 1

Hi - thanks for the reply.

Sorry, the link provided doesn't take me to another forum.

I assumed the 'Contribute' user would have to manually update each page.  They're not going to want to do that though.

Anyone know of an 'off the shelf' solution that could do this and is very easy for the client to use?

Thanks

• 3. Re: P7 Horizontal Scroller
              function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Sorry, the link provided doesn't take me to another forum.    

It does if you re-read: newsgroups rather than web forums.

Project Seven offer instructions at the link provided for how to set up newsgroups and provide excellent support for their products (I'm merely a happy customer).

What exactly will the ticker tape widget be used for?

• 4. Re: P7 Horizontal Scroller
                ALsp Level 4

As John said, you can log in to our newsgroup. Explicit instructions are here:

http://www.projectseven.com/support/index.htm

If you find you cannot set up a newsgroup you will also find a support email address and even a telephone number on the above page. Simply email us or call us.

We do not regularly monitor Adobe forums - the signal to noise ratio is just way too high for efficiency. I do, however, assure you that if you contact us you will be refreshingly surprised to learn that there are still companies around that take support very seriously.

Al Sparber - PVII
                http://www.projectseven.com
                Dreamweaver Menus | Galleries | Widgets
                http://www.projectseven.com/go/hgm
                The Ultimate Web 2.0 Carousel

• 5. Re: P7 Horizontal Scroller
                  Missteach Level 1

Hello,

Sorry.  I thought you meant that the link would take me directly to a user forum similar to this Adobe forum.

I've had a look at the links at P7 but they seem to refer to 'Outlook Express' rather than 'Outlook'.  The instructions don't correspond to 'Outlook'.

Anyway, as suggested, I've emailed P7 directly.

In the meantime, are there any P7 users here that would know the answer?

Thanks

• 6. Re: P7 Horizontal Scroller
                    function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

I've had a look at the links at P7 but they seem to refer to 'Outlook Express' rather than 'Outlook'.  The instructions don't correspond to 'Outlook'. 

That's because Outlook does not have a built-in newsreader. It uses Windows Mail (Windows 7 or Vista) or Outlook Express (earlier Windows) for newsgroups.

I personally use Thunderbird.

Instructions for setting up all three are provided at the P7 link.

What exactly will the ticker tape widget be used for?

• 7. Re: P7 Horizontal Scroller
                      Missteach Level 1

Hello,

The client (a race track) wants to be able to update the ticker tape every morning before the sessions start with information relating to availability for that day.  The site will initially comprise of around 20 pages but I anticipate it will grow to around 40 !!!

Each morning, one of the staff in the office require a 'simple' way of entering the information.  I don't think they will be pleased if I say it will have to be entered 40 times !!!

Cheers