3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2010 8:21 AM by dominic.hare

Exporting a selection out of illustrator..?

dominic.hare Level 1

Hi all and thanks for reading,

New to AI, great programe.. I`m loving it more every day!

I do have a problem, it`s probably quit simple if you know..

I design webpages mainly and I`ve started using AI for my backround images and buttons. Comming from fireworks I`m used to creating an object, then hitting "fit to canvas" and saving it to either .png or jpeg. My object is then trimmed to size and ready to be inserted into a webpage.

For some reason I cannot find a simple way to trim and save or export my objects. I obviously don`t want the canvas or worktop saved along with my object. I`ve watched many videos and looked up even more google hits but no luck. Would be very greatful if anyone could point me in the right direction :-)

Ty and kind regards,

Nick

• 1. Re: Exporting a selection out of illustrator..?
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Nick,

Presuming a later version, you should be able to use Save for Web and Devices (Save for Web in older versions), and you should have Clip to Artboard unticked.

• 2. Re: Exporting a selection out of illustrator..?
            dominic.hare Level 1

Jacob thank you very much

I can`t believe how long that kept me busy hehe

Oh one more thing if you have time since I might have your attention..

I draw a 200x100 rectangle.. simple fill, green no stroke. Then I export it to jpeg high like you just taught me and I notice two things abit odd:

1.     Viewing the rectangle in win photo viewer and browser I notice odd lines inside the shape. One about 10 px inwards from the bottom and the other from the left? I`m confused as to why these appear.

2.     Saving for Web and Devices (CS4) increases my object by 1 x 1 pixel. You know why this is?

I understand if your busy, I am very greatful for your help already. Thank you again

Regards,

Nick

• 3. Re: Exporting a selection out of illustrator..?
              Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Nick, you are welcome.

I am still with 10, where it is necessary to use Crop Marks (later known as Crop Area and in this connexion replaced by the Artboard (Tool even)); and the Crop Marks have to include any part of the Stroke that is outside the Bounding Box (typically half the Stroke Weight).

The lines issue sounds strange.

The 1x1px addition may be some default enlargement to the Bounding Box, see above. If that is the case, I hope it is possible to set it to zero for unstroked artwork, and to change it to adapt to greater Stroke Weights.

I hope someone with a new version will shed some more light on this.

Someone?