3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2010 2:25 PM by TynanW

RAM Preview at half res = crash ?

TynanW Level 1

Hi there,

I have been having a problem with AE where it will crash on a RAM Preview . . . . but here's the weird thing, it only happens when the resolution of my composition is set to 'Half' ?

It's becoming a real pain, previewing at 'Full' res is too much for this particular project (too slow) and 'Quarter' is simply too blocky to make good judgements about what it is I am looking at, so 'Half' res is pretty much ideal, but like I say when doing a RAM Preview the thing renders a load of frames then AE collapses with the following error dialogue appearing (see image below).

This is not fixed to one AE project, it is happening on the three I am currently working on - I am on a i7 quad core iMac with 8GB ram and After Effects CS4 . . . .

Anyone come accross this (or similar) before, and importantly anyone know how to get around it ?

Cheers for any help,

Lee.

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/6055/screenshot20100417at155.png

• 1. Re: RAM Preview at half res = crash ?
          TynanW Level 1

Anyone got any clues as to what might be happening here . . . . . . ?

The same problem has plagued me all day today, previewing on 'half' res renders so far then AE quits . . . . . ?

Help !

• 2. Re: RAM Preview at half res = crash ?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Yeah, for some reason it is producing negative values for the buffers and that makes it go *boom*. Do you use OpenGL? If so, turn it off. Otehr than that i realyl don't have much of an idea. The only other thing that comes to mind is that you are using an unusual resolution that causes a division error at half res. in that case, slightly increasing or reducing the comp size by a few pixels might help.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: RAM Preview at half res = crash ?
              TynanW Level 1

Cheers for the input Mylenium.

I will try it with OpenGL switched off and see what happens . . . .

Also the resolution is non standard (1280 x 540 pixels) - but as you can see it is still divisible by 2 - but I will try your idea of changing the comp size as well - I will probably just make it letter boxed in 720 and see what happens.

Thanks once more, I will report back . . . . !

Lee.