10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2010 1:45 PM by the_wine_snob

Audio Track Placement

DukefromTexas

I am unable to move audio files to a specific audio track, they all default to "Audio 5". I tried to "drag & drop" as well as using the "Ctrl" & "Alt" keys in conjunction with the drag & drop and I am still unable to move an audio file to a specific track. I am new to Premiere Pro CS4, but have used Premiere Elements 8 extensively.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Audio Track Placement
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum Duke.

Unfortunately, you have posted to the PrElements (a different, albeit similar program to PrPro). I'll see if the MOD, Steve Grisetti can move this for you, so you will get more input for PrPro users.

Now, let's cover some Audio Track basics first. PrPro will ONLY allow certain Audio on certain Tracks. This is distinguished by the "channel-count." Hence, a 2-channel Audio Clip will ONLY go onto a 2-channel Audio Track; a 1-channel Audio Clip will ONLY go onto a 1-channel Audio Track; and a 5.1 Audio Clip will ONLY go onto a 5.1 Audio Track. There are little icons in the Audio Track Header, that will tell you what each is: 1 speaker for 1-channel, 2 speakers for 2-channel and a "5.1" for multi-channel Tracks. These are small, but if you know where to look, they can be easily seen:

Audio_Track_Headers_01.jpg

Now, when one creates a New Sequence, they can set the number of various Track types, and also establish the default for all new Sequences. Those Tracks will then always be created. Let's say that your default is a 5.1 Master, with 4 2-channel Tracks. That is all that you will start with. If you have either a 1-channel, or a 5.1 source Clip, you have no where to put them. Fortunately, PrPro will create the appropriate Track for you, if you drag the Clip to the bottom of the Master. That new, appropriately spec'ed. Track will now appear above the Master, at the bottom of the stack. One can also create the necessary Track, and even locate it where they wish by going to Sequence>Add Audio Track, choosing the appropriate type and then from the drop-down, where they wish it to be created.

For my default Sequence, I have 2 1-channel, and 4 2-channel Audio Tracks with a 5.1 Master. If I have any 5.1 source Clips, I will then add that at the bottom of the stack, or just let PrPro create it for me, when I go to place that 5.1 Clip onto my Timeline.

If you have more Audio Tracks, than are needed, you can always go to Sequence>Delete Unused Tracks, and select Audio. Those unused Audio Tracks will be eliminated from the Timeline.

Hope that this helps. Your source Audio channel-count does not match the existing and upper Audio Tracks, so it must go onto an appropriate Audio Track, of either your creation, or created automatically by PrPro.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Audio Track Placement
            DukefromTexas Level 1

Bill, thanks for getting back to me, I understand what you are saying.

All of my audio is WAV or mp3 in stereo and all audio tracks are configured for stereo, but all audio default to audio 5 so if I want to add another audio track to play simultaneously, I am unable to do this. The project I am working on seems to be unique as I have other projects and do not have any problems placing audio tracks.

DukefromTexas

• 3. Re: Audio Track Placement
              the_wine_snob Level 9

In CS4, I'd create a New Sequence with a couple of 1-channel and a couple of 2-channel Audio Tracks. By default, the 1-channel Tracks will be at the top of the stack, with the 2-channel Tracks below.

Now, drag one of your files to the Audio Tracks, and see which ones PrPro will allow you to drop them in.

Also, you can check Properties by Rt-clicking on the Asset in the Project Panel. Check what PrPro is seeing for the channel-count. Sometimes, things just do not translate properly.

I would strongly suggest converting all MP3 source files to PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit, and working with those. I use Adobe Audition for this, but Soundbooth, or the free audio-editor, Audacity, can do it too. PrPro is good with Audio, but not the ultimate.

Now, are any of your Audio files WMA (similar to WAV, but can be multi-channel)?

Looking at that Audio Track 5, what is the icon in the Track Header?

Also, are you first Targeting your choice of Audio Track, prior to dragging the Asset to it?

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Audio Track Placement
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Duke,

Just in case something else is happening, can you post a screen-cap, sort of like the one that I showed, with the Audio Track Headers visible for all?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Audio Track Placement
                  DukefromTexas Level 1

Bill, I had some success with deleting the unused audio tracks and then adding a second audio track, so now the default audio is audio 1. A new issue is that audio 2, the track that I added has limited visibility and now acts like audio 5 with the inability to move.

DukefromTexas

• 6. Re: Audio Track Placement
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    A new issue is that audio 2, the track that I added has limited visibility and now acts like audio 5 with the inability to move.

Duke,

You have lost me here. Do you mean that the Audio Track is collapsed? If so, there is a little arrow at the left of the Audio Track Header, that will allow you to expand it. Then, if necessary, you can also vertically zoom the Audio Track. Hover your cursor over the area of the junction of the Audio Track Headers, until it turns into a double line with arrowheads. Click and drag to vertically zoom.

Now, Audio Tracks (and Video Tracks) cannot be manually and directly moved. One can Rename them as necessary, or can use combos of Add Track and Delete Tracks, to get the order that is desired. Unlike some DAW programs, one cannot just grab a Track and order it about.

Hope that helps,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Audio Track Placement
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

In my screen-cap above, look at Music_1 and Ambiance_1, and you will see that they are taller than the others. They have been zoomed vertically, while the ones below have been expanded, but not zoomed. All could be collapsed, if necessary, by clicking on the little triangle in the Audio Track Header.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Audio Track Placement
                        DukefromTexas Level 1

Bill, I was able to delete all unused audio tracks and then add an additional audio track and everything is A-OK!

Thanks so much for your assistance.

• 9. Re: Audio Track Placement
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Duke,

You are most welcome. Many have requested the manual dragging of Audio & Video Tracks about, but I do not know if that function has been added to CS5. For me, doing just as you did, works so well, with only a tad of planning and some keystrokes, that I can't say that I have ever missed being able to drag Tracks about.

I always Rename my Tracks, so I do not really care so much about the order. If I need to move things about, I will just Create new Tracks, where I want the, Rename them to suit, and then Move the source Clips to that new Track, Deleting Empty Tracks afterwards. Some really balk at that, and want to click-drag on the Tracks.

Glad that things are working for you, and happy editing,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Audio Track Placement
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Duke,

I see that the MOD's did get you moved over to the PrPro forum.

There might be some other useful comments that come in from other PrPro users, so do not discount any additional comments, though things are working for you now.

Good luck,

Hunt