9 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2010 10:18 AM by Harm Millaard

Cannot import VOB files

David8765

I am trying to import vob files from a dvd (not a store bought dvd - this is the disc my friend was given of his performances at a folk festival by the hired videographer) and I get the error message that the file format is not supported. I have never tried to do this before, but the documentation seems to say I should be able to import it. What could be the problem?

My objective is to edit a short promotional video of soundbites from the show, for youtube use, etc.

By the way, I am a total novice with this software, but I am an advanced computer user and adept with photoshop, and I have done similar editing projects using Windows Movie Maker. I am using Premiere Pro CS3, and my system is Vista Home Premium. If I cannot master the editing functions of Premier easily, I may revert to using Windows Movie Maker, but at minimum I must get the vob files converted to another format for starters, and I want to do that in Premier, and try my hand at the edits there too. I already did a conversion in a free program called Any Video Converter, but the synch was gradually lost toward the end of the video, so it was unusable - and I assume Premiere would not have that defect.

Thanks for any input.

• 1. Re: Cannot import VOB files
          shooternz Level 6

Try renaming files with an mpeg extension

otherwise..convert to an editable format.

(Latest version CS4 imports them evidently)

• 2. Re: Cannot import VOB files
            Missteach Level 1

I use Premiere Elements 4 for exactly this.  It works a treat.  Not sure if PE8  will do it because there have been so many issues with it since release.  Certainly, when PE8 came out it didn't work.  They might have fixed it by now.

If not, have a search around for PE4.

• 3. Re: Cannot import VOB files
              the_wine_snob Level 9

As of CS4.2 (Important), PrPro can Import 100% DVD-Compliant (Very Important) VOB's. It is likely that your VOB's are not 100% DVD-Compliant. This ARTICLE will give you some background and some methods for handling non-compliant VOB's.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Cannot import VOB files
                the_wine_snob Level 9

PrE suffers from the same problem that PrPro 4.2 does, if the VOB is not 100% DVD-compliant. Most DVR's, many authoring programs and other DVD recording devices play fast and loose with the DVD-specs, especially with regard to Menus and navigation (the first VOB). When the DVD-specs. are not adhered to, problems can, and usually will exist.

Now, PrElements added VOB Import support long before PrPRo did. As of CS4.2, they are the same.

Craig's suggestion to just rename the file extension to .MPEG often works, and is very simple. However, it often fails with the first VOB, because there is much more inside it, than just the muxed MPEG-2 file. That is why he suggested other means, should the extension rename fail.

The biggest problem is that there are VOB's, and then there are VOB's. It is not unlike saying that a file is "AVI," though there are fewer possibilities in a VOB.

Just like native AVCHD support, PrE beat its "big-brother" by a bit.

Hunt

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Corrected typos.

• 5. Re: Cannot import VOB files
                  sevkie

My windows movie maker and Windows Media player have no problems but my trial version CS5 will not import VOBs.

I wanted to try renaming the extension but can not figure out how to do that....  How do you rename the extension to .mpeg pls? 

Thank you

Sevkie

PS: I have bought a new computer (on it's way) since I had the min. reqs only and also the ProductionPremiere CS5  DVDs are also on their way  (so no more tiral version...).  But I figured if I am having trouble importing .VOBs now, I might as well figure out how to overcome the problem before my new hardware and the CS5 dvds get here.

• 6. Re: Cannot import VOB files
                    shooternz Level 6

Its well stated that the TRIAL version does not handle anything mpeg!.

Your full version will recify the issue.

• 7. Re: Cannot import VOB files
                      Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A bit off topic but does anyone know if the trial has templates and or Encore libary?

• 8. Re: Cannot import VOB files
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Craig has correctly pointed out the limitation with the trial version. The VOB article, that I linked to above will give you some background as to what is inside the VOB (Video Object File), and you'll see that the Video-stream is MPEG-2 - not allowed in the trial version.

Once you have the full-paid, Activated version, that limitation will disappear.

Now, do see that linked article, as it will prove useful, if you STILL have issues. All VOB's are not created equal. If they are 100% DVD-compliant, such as from Adobe Encore, they WILL work fine in CS5. If created by other programs, or equipment, then all bets are off. They may work, or they may not. That article will give you some tips on how to handle things, if the do not work, because they are NOT 100% DVD-compliant.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Cannot import VOB files
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

I don't know for sure, since I never used a trial, but since Encore does not work with the trial at all, it makes no sense to include any content. Maybe that is the reason that when downloading the full version, the Encore contents are a separate download.